Sponsored

What will Tesla's response to the R3X look like?

MY_R2

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYLR, Volvo XC60
Occupation
Retired
I think the Model 2 won't be a competitor to the R3. It will be a car meant for the mass market - a commuter car with less than 300-mile range, no glass roof, and just as minimalistic as the Model 3. A friend of mine thinks that Tesla is aiming at the Nissan Leaf and not the R3. I see Tesla losing significant market share to Rivian as Tesla enthusiasts move to NACS equipped Rivians.
Sponsored

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
That's easy.

Either no response at all, as it doesn't merit one until they start moving hundreds of thousands of units or....

....the Model 2 Plaid! Take the Model S 1,020 HP drivetrain and shoehorn it into the Model 2. Underbrake the vehicle, as always, and retain existing track settings that make it easy to drift.

Problem solved!

RedCanyon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

I find these comparisons strange. Tesla is going to sell close to 1.5 million cars this year, Rivian maybe 60 thousand. Full plant capacity would be 250 thousand. I don't think they are "worried" about Rivian. Musk has already said they are working on a super affordable vehicle that they are making with revolutionary manufacturing tech... I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with some $25K vehicle... which they will sell a ton of regardless of how it looks. Don't get me wrong... I own a Rivian, love Rivian, I am super excited about the space they are carving out in the market place. But they can do great things, and Tesla can continue to do great things as well. I think it is the legacy guys that should be worried.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I don’t think they need to respond. They already have a roadster with rockets attached to it - one that will break the space-time continuum.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I don’t think they need to respond. They already have a roadster with rockets attached to it - one that will break the space-time continuum.
Unless the roadster starts in the low $100k range, it's just going to be a vanity car for the wealthy, thus mostly irrelevant to me.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Unless the roadster starts in the low $100k range, it's just going to be a vanity car for the wealthy, thus mostly irrelevant to me.
Exactly. I don’t think they need a product in direct competition with Rivian.

Rivian was smart in unveiling the R3 series by exploiting a niche in the EV market. They are building a vehicle that complements others with no direct competition yet, and the public seems to have responded favorably towards it.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
We all know the Cybertruck only came to market because Rivian turned out to be a formidable opponent in the EV space. We have yet to see the rumoured model 2, which is supposed to be more of a cheap city car, which I am not convinced is the R3's market.

Will Tesla actually come up with a design that will evoke the same emotion for buyers as the R3X, or will it be another cybertruck style clone?

Will they beat Rivian to the market this time?
Those are all good questions. I think the Model 2, or whatever they end up calling it, will be a smaller version of the Y. I’d love to see an off-road trim or a more retro modern design, but Tesla will ultimately make it as efficient as possible (think super aero).

Did Elon say that the $25K vehicle would have a CyberTruck aesthetic? I’ve been hearing that a lot lately. I’d love to have a CyberHatch, but with the manufacturing difficulties, CT reservations, etc. I doubt they’ll do this. If it’s based on the Model Y or shares any parts, like the R3 does with the R2, then I think it’ll come out in 2025.

I just hope that Rivian survives long enough to get the R2 out and that it sells well, as its success will pave the way for the R3. These stupid interest rates are killing all kinds of businesses.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
I'm surprised no one beat me to this:

Rivian R1T R1S What will Tesla's response to the R3X look like? wedge car

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Realistically, I don't see the R3 being a huge mass market seller anywhere remotely close to how the Model 3 and Y sells. The market for a super tiny car like the R3, specifically in the US, is very small and niche. How many in total of Honda Fit, Chevy Bolt, Chevy Spark, Fiat 500, mini, etc. do you see? Not many. Not even close. And, now we see that the rear seats of the R3 is tiny. Even smaller than some of these other subcompacts that I just listed because Rivian decided to make the frunk fairly large in proportion.

I get the hype from existing Rivian owners here, but it's not a car for the mass market in reality.

Sponsored

mung

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

If I was a Tesla employee I would be worried. Rivian is doing something really unique, in terms of aesthetics and branding, just rock solid all round. Tesla got to where it is by being a first mover and having best range and best software/tech. Rivian is all that and more. Already Tesla Model 3's are becoming the Toyota Corollas of the road. The Model 3 refresh is good on paper but the overall design of exterior and interior again doesn't have anything that 'sparks joy' like the Rivian does.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Realistically, I don't see the R3 being a huge mass market seller anywhere remotely close to how the Model 3 and Y sells. The market for a super tiny car like the R3, specifically in the US, is very small and niche. How many in total of Honda Fit, Chevy Bolt, Chevy Spark, Fiat 500, mini, etc. do you see? Not many. Not even close. And, now we see that the rear seats of the R3 is tiny. Even smaller than some of these other subcompacts that I just listed because Rivian decided to make the frunk fairly large in proportion.

I get the hype from existing Rivian owners here, but it's not a car for the mass market in reality.
It's going to be a multi-market vehicle like the R2 is. European customers shouldn't be overlooked here at all. Small hatches are super popular over there.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It's going to be a multi-market vehicle like the R2 is. European customers shouldn't be overlooked here at all. Small hatches are super popular over there.
Then they should just build a factory for the R3 in Europe where the market for this type of compact car is more widely accepted. Just like almost every other small compact mentioned are made overseas in their home markets where the market for such cars are a lot bigger than in the US.
Rivian needs a more mass market car than the R3 in the US. Make an even cheaper version of the R2 for the US market, instead, out of Georgia factory.

R3 might not even happen depending on how the R2 goes for a couple years.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Then they should just build a factory for the R3 in Europe where the market for this type of compact car is more widely accepted. Just like almost every other small compact mentioned are made overseas in their home markets where the market for such cars are a lot bigger than in the US.
Rivian needs a more mass market car than the R3 in the US. Make an even cheaper version of the R2 for the US market, instead, out of Georgia factory.

R3 might not even happen depending on how the R2 goes for a couple years.
They are planning on doing just that, but we're talking probably 2029-2030 for start of production for that plant given the delays they've already had to deal with here.