First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Baby R1 aka Rivian R2 with 5 seater, fixed height suspension, 14 speaker system, 2 wheels / tire options and 2 battery pack options Standard and Max ($5,000 upgrade).

$39,900 - 399 HP RWD available 2028

$49,990 - 499 HP AWD available 2026

$59,990 - 599 HP AWD Max Performance available 2027

Overboost / Performance upgrade function available for extra $3000
I really want a base model that is sub $50k, maybe $45k, needs room to option it a little and stay within the tax credit.

To get there, I think it should be:

1. Basic interior, with upgrade options to something nicer (like upgrade for ventilated)
2. Base should be single motor, with an option to do dual motor, people will do fine with a single 200hp motor in the rear and an option to upgrade to 400hp AWD.
3. 800V architecture
4. Option for a sunroof
5. A ~290mi base battery, option for a ~375mi battery
I think officials have said in the past they are targeting $40k entry price. Coincidentally, FWD-only Fisker Ocean starts at low-40s. RWD is not as efficient as FWD. If there is to be a single motor base trim, it's more likely to be FWD.

I think a single display is a real possibility. If they do that, I hope they go one step further than Tesla and add a HUD for the driver—for basic things like speed, posted speed limit, basic nav instructions. I predict flush but unpowered door handles. Height adjustable air suspension available only in high-trim. Other trims, conventional coil and shocks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Not predicting... but hoping... for a 2-row R1S-ish vehicle but lower and sleeker with ridiculous acceleration. Think Porsche Macan. But I know I won't get this. :confused:

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Lots of good predictions. I'll add a stretch prediction, many predictions mention RWD or FWD option. I predict Rivian never sells a truck or (true) SUV that is not AWD in my lifetime. (A model Y, for example is not a SUV...) AWD and the vertical oval headlights continue to be part of the brand. .

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
I think officials have said in the past they are targeting $40k entry price. Coincidentally, FWD-only Fisker Ocean starts at low-40s. RWD is not as efficient as FWD. If there is to be a single motor base trim, it's more likely to be FWD.

I think a single display is a real possibility. If they do that, I hope they go one step further than Tesla and add a HUD for the driver—for basic things like speed, posted speed limit, basic nav instructions. I predict flush but unpowered door handles. Height adjustable air suspension available only in high-trim. Other trims, conventional coil and shocks.
Wouldn’t a HUD be more expensive than a second screen?

Do people think the warranty will be 3 years or 4? Opportunity for some financial savings but would hit their premium positioning.

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Whatever it is the media will rip it apart and crush the stock.

As long as the R2 is available from 45k-65k it will do really well. Just look at the Q3/Q3 or X2/X3/X4 or any other number of vehicles in that range.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Wouldn’t a HUD be more expensive than a second screen?

Do people think the warranty will be 3 years or 4? Opportunity for some financial savings but would hit their premium positioning.
Why would it be? A HUD is just a basic display projected on the windshield. It has fixed set of possible images, doesn’t even need to be full color.

Last edited:

R1TruKaLa

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
Slightly sleeker, rounder body lines but easily identifiable as a sibling of the R1. It won't match the roof rack patent drawing, lol. My thoughts below are based on lowered cost of assembly, not my preferences.

Basics :
300-400 hp dual motor, higher hp as a performance model
363 mile range
heat pump
Traditional suspension (no air or active hydraulics)
one piece liftgate (no tailgate)
smaller or no moonroof/sunroof
simpler interior design
Fewer and smaller interior UI screens, perhaps one short/wide screen from driver to center
Same basic UI including Alexa, etc.
Two windshield wipers
19" to 21" wheel options

Drop:
Automated air vents
Most or all gear guard stuff
Flashlight
First Aid Kit
Wood Trim
Interior "Limo" lighting
Camp Speaker
Camp Kitchen (oh, snap....)

Add:
Usable interior grab handles

Options (if Rivian actually gets to an optioned production process):
Air Compressor
Moonroof/Sunroof/T Top/Removable top
120/240 VAC inverter

Specific Will Nots:
Not bulletproof
Not capable of infinite towing mass
Not capable of crossing seas
Not announced at $39k and then sell for twice as much when shipping
Want the bullet proof, just case and be able to ford a raging steam🤭 🤣

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
Bold Predictions - No camp speaker and a charge port in the rear, not the front.

I do think it will have to have all of the features a Model Y has since it’s got to compete with a Y (I think). So it will have a glass roof, heated rear seats, etc. They can’t option the heck out of it. Makes no sense for scale.

Carscott

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda odyssey toyota Prius v
IMO, if Rivian can achieve a sub or circa $50k price threshold in basic trim package, it would be a massive victory.

Bells and whistles and bleeding edge tech may be interesting and all, but the mundane is exactly what needs to be the priority for R2: lower price threshold, reliability, +1 to expanding RSC capability and capacity. All with the goal of profitability ASAP.
Absolutely agree. I suspect the price will suddenly come in at $65K

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I'm going to be debby downer here:
  • SUV only, slightly larger than the Model Y
  • Starts at something like $46,995 for standard 275 mile range
  • $10k more for like 50-60 more miles
  • $5k performance pack
  • 400v architecture (smaller, more optimized R1 battery)
  • All AWD
  • Looks nearly identical to the render based on the regulatory filing
  • No fancy suspension
  • No third row
  • No bluetooth speaker, flashlight, camp kitchen, drawer, whatever
  • No F150-like frunk
  • No V2G/V2H in the announcement
  • No onboard compressor
  • "Offroad" pack is AT tires and like a bash plate for show maybe
  • No Carplay, AA, but "Apps" on the screen that will likely arrive for R1 later this year for a subscription
  • Similar colors to what we currently get
It'll be a slightly bigger, brawnier looking Model Y that is slightly more expensive. Pretty basic to appeal to a large crossection of the population. A Patagonia fleece sweater that everyone has in mid-size SUV form.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
They might need to do some serious marketing / awareness campaign to get that many preorders. I still get people asking all the time, who makes that truck, and who is Rivian.
Sooo, It's a Rivian but who makes it?
I am glad there is healthy demand without need of almost any marketing but I also wish more people knew what Rivian is all about which is super capable US made EV's. Maybe with R2 reveal more people will catch on.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Bold Predictions - No camp speaker and a charge port in the rear, not the front.

I do think it will have to have all of the features a Model Y has since it’s got to compete with a Y (I think). So it will have a glass roof, heated rear seats, etc. They can’t option the heck out of it. Makes no sense for scale.
No camp speaker should probably just be assumed to be true. Not even as an option.

Charge port in the rear doesn't make sense for towing, so I doubt they'll do that. I will be fairly surprised if they don't keep front left as their standard location for all models.

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
and a charge port in the rear, not the front.
YES. THIS ^. Forgot to add how much i dislike the front charge port on the R1. Makes no sense for a long wheel based vehicle.

Reactions: Rad

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

YES. THIS ^. Forgot to add how much i dislike the front charge port on the R1. Makes no sense for a long wheel based vehicle.
I disagree. I love the front port. I can pull up easily even with a bike rack, etc strapped to the back of the car, I can simultaneously watch both the Rivian charging screen and the EVSE charging screen at the same time while sitting in the car, and I don't have to jump over the charge cord a million times to load/unload the rear cargo area of the R1S while it's charging.
Sponsored