Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Somewhat relevant since they are having an official reveal tomorrow. I've always liked Lotus's designs but was never in a situation to afford them before, and I'm guessing that's still going to be true after tomorrow.

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-US/eletre/
Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
It looks cool and I'm sure it will be fun to drive. It will never drive like a Lotus however. I wish they would have started with a similarly price electric sports car instead. But I get SUVs are the money makers. Lack of 3 seats in the back is my biggest complaint. Maybe they will offer a 5 seater option like Porsche does for the Taycan.

I'll be interested to see the pricing as well.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Can you say - I Pace knock off made in Chyna of Chynesium?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

It's 100% made in Chyna. If you think Rivian reliability is bad you haven't seen anything yet.
Are you saying that it will perform like all consumer electronics and appliances? You know, one that are far more reliable today than when they were made here....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's 100% made in Chyna. If you think Rivian reliability is bad you haven't seen anything yet.
My 100% made in China Polestar 2 has been trouble free, and it's been what I've been driving while my Rivian has been in service.

But yeah, red chyna bad

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
You realize Tesla makes more cars in China than anywhere else. And supposedly their Chinese build quality is better than Fremont cars.

But hey let's stick with old stereotypes.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

It looks cool and I'm sure it will be fun to drive. It will never drive like a Lotus however. I wish they would have started with a similarly price electric sports car instead....
You are very correct about that. Lotus' key discriminator has always been light weight and power to weight ratio. No BEV is light, unfortunately.

When Lotus introduced Emira last year, I was so disappointed that it was not an EV. They said its their last ICE vehicle but what a great looking vehicle Emira is.

I am still holding out for pure two-seater sports EV. Just hope there will be one before I'm too old to drive :)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I love Lotus as a brand. I can't help but think this is just a money grab, but who can blame them. I honestly hope it's successful.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You are very correct about that. Lotus' key discriminator has always been light weight and power to weight ratio. No BEV is light, unfortunately.

When Lotus introduced Emira last year, I was so disappointed that it was not an EV. They said its their last ICE vehicle but what a great looking vehicle Emira is.

I am still holding out for pure two-seater sports EV. Just hope there will be one before I'm too old to drive :)
I think we're still a solid decade or more out before there is an affordable EV two-seater sportscar that isn't 2.5-3 tons because of all the battery weight needed to make it usable. The Rimac Nevera is over 4700 lbs and they are using all the tricks to get the weight of the thing as low as possible.

GM has plans to produce a Corvette EV in 2025, but it's on an SUV platform. Ford's EV Mustang isn't due until 2029(?) according to industry forecasts.

Really I think the only option is to DIY something with abysmal range and abuse the hell out of the batteries in order to get a two seater that's fun to drive, ala https://insideevs.com/news/361924/818c-tesla-electric-motors/

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Personally, much more interested in the Emira and/or their future 2-seater EV. But I'll probably end up going for a Porsche Cayman or their 718 EV whenever it shows up.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Electric cayman isn’t far off.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

As a Lotus owner who is hoping this will help the company stay alive as its a company that's not done well since the start but has had great sports cars. Hopefully it does well as for me no thanks but the new Emira should be really good.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Electric cayman isn’t far off.
Yeah the 718 EV is couple of years off but it has never provoked the kind of emotion that other mid engine two seaters have. The Mission R prototype looks bulky and reminded me of 1980's vintage IMSA racer.

Porsche has a problem in that if 718 is too good, it will take sales away from 911, just as Tycan has from Panamera. That said, I have been happy to read both Lotus and Porsche has been dealing with keeping the driving dynamics of mid engine sports car for the EV versions and lowering the seat height position.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
That's akin to sayin everyone in Alabama marries their sister.
Sponsored