First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
IT
48amps at 240volts is 11.52KW, unless you are somehow cranking up to 80amps that is impossible.
The Car only pulls what it supports.. I just bought and 80amp charger because i have and Hummer EV that will take it.. I not a newbie
Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
This is a frequently reported issue where R1 will not support sustained 11.5 kW charging when ambient temps are over 85-90 degrees. The brand of L2 charger is not relevant to the problem. Don't know if there is a temperature sensor issue, overly conservative limits, or an actual thermal problem forcing the throttling. Pointing a fan at the charge port typically resolves the issue. Personally, I just accept that it won't take 48A in the summer and drop the charge rate down to 40A. There's no reason for me to need 48A charging... aside from the fact that it should support it.
A truck with a huge battery that costs damn near six figures should be able to charge at industry standard levels. I have zero problems with this in my polestar but I had issues in my r1t with the same charger. It’s a problem with Rivian.

OP
OP

BadRivian

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
IT
A truck with a huge battery that costs damn near six figures should be able to charge at industry standard levels. I have zero problems with this in my polestar but I had issues in my r1t with the same charger. It’s a problem with Rivian.
This is how i feel about it also..

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Have you tried on a more universal 50amp L2 charger not pushing 80 amps to eliminate the charger from the equation?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Have you tried on a more universal 50amp L2 charger not pushing 80 amps to eliminate the charger from the equation?
I don't know about the OP but plenty of other people have. I am personally using a ChargePoint Home Flex and experience this problem as have others using the Rivian charger. This is far more widespread than just the OP.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It's absolutely a problem with Rivian and I provided 3 possible causes, 2 of which would require hardware changes to resolve. Coincidence that Gen 2 is using a different port? Maybe, maybe not.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Our Mach E does the same thing, will limit the charge to 7kw after a few minutes in hot weather. My Hummer is a 23 model that only supports 11.5kw, but it maintains that speed even when hot. Our Rivian held 48A last night while charging, but I have an evaporator cooler in the garage where I park the trucks.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

OMG can we close this thread. No question or answer will suffice, Rivian L2 charging sucks.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

A bigger capacity charge unit (80a) is less likely to over heat at 48a than a lower capacity one. He could have a 400a service but the rivian won't make use of it any more than 80 or 48

My panel only supported another 50a breaker so I always charge at 40a 9kwh

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
OMG can we close this thread. No question or answer will suffice, Rivian L2 charging sucks.
Okay for you, but there are a "few" of us that have no issues. Might be worth discussing.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

It’s not every truck, I’ve never had it happen in 17 months.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
My think pad works only with the Thinkpad cables. All others cause a lose connection. The charger working with Hummer doesn't prove anything. Either your charger or the Rivian has a defect and good luck finding it .

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
My EV Charger has a screen on it.. and let me change the amps I am going to change it down to 32 amps and see what happens. This is a defect though. After to talking with Kyle its the Vendor they used for the Pins in the charging port

that must be why they inspected my pins before replacing my Rivian home charger.

Got the truck Sept 2022, the first summer after that in Texas it would shut off while charging (red circle on charger) they ended up replacing the charger and had an installer come out to ensure it's installed correctly, the rest of last summer it never failed, so we'll see as we're heading into summer here in Texas again....but, they did want to inspect the pins on the truck itself, and deemed them good to go.

OP
OP

BadRivian

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
IT
its rivian i tried a different charger. the one my r1s came with. at my brother house did same thing.. put a box fan toward the charging port works fine.

Geoinfotech69

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, NSX, Outback, Odyssey
Occupation
Consulting
i am in North Carolina, I am getting sick of having to point a Fan at Charging Port on my R1S just so I can charge it at full speed.s this is a defect. I even park my R1S in my garage
I am having the same issue.
Sponsored