First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
For the last several weeks I’ve had the good fortune of being able to test the first Rivian ring key in the market. It’s made by CNICK (teslaring.com), who appear to have been making rings for Tesla for some time. They make the rings (I think) by dissolving the plastic around the chip and antenna in the key card and forming it into a ring.

Early on in the process, CNICK sent me a prototype ring to test with my R1T. They gave me the 6 digit keycard code (from the card they dissolved) that I intended to provide to Rivian Service to have it activated on my R1T. After several days of back and forth, Rivian declined to activate the ring for me! They said they will only activate keycards sold directly by them. They won’t (for example) allow someone to buy a keycard from eBay and then activate it to their vehicle. I believe others have bought secondhand wristbands and had them activated, so maybe a new policy? This was extremely frustrating as I believe Tesla lets you add new keycards from the infotainment screen.

As a next step, I sent CNICK one of my working keycards, and about two weeks later received the ring in the mail. It works great!

I asked them about the ordering process and this is what they said:

We are trying to establish an official partnership with Rivian. As members of the Car Connectivity Consortium, we’re dedicated to ensuring a seamless integration for car manufacturers. Meanwhile, we are offering the community a chance to experience our product early by sending the key card to us.
For requesting the card conversion into the ring we’ve set up a dedicated form on our website: https://teslaring.com/pages/cardring

*I don’t work for or have any connection to CNICK. I emailed them almost two years ago asking if they had plans to make a ring for Rivian. They said no at the time but then reached out to me a few months ago and asked if I wanted to test a prototype. I'm posting on my own accord. I'm not being compensated, other than getting the ring for free to test.
Sponsored

Mellowyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This seems pretty awesome. I'm also interested, how much? Looks like different ring options too.

Sponsored

S.Mueller

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra 1500SLT, Ioniq5
Any idea if they could just clone your card to a ring device and return the card with the new ring? I want to keep my cards in the event I ever wanted to sell my R1S with all the keys. A ring fitted to me may not be desirable to someone else.

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

If they need more volunteers to try out prototypes.. I'd love to try!

Swezey

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM LBP 21" Rivian Blue
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Pretty badass. Gonna suggest this to my wife for my up coming bday gift

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
Yeah I think I would rather the ring vs the wristband.​
Or you know let me use the NFC in my watch... just sayin'​
But might be a security issue there.​

Sponsored

OP
OP

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Any idea if they could just clone your card to a ring device and return the card with the new ring? I want to keep my cards in the event I ever wanted to sell my R1S with all the keys. A ring fitted to me may not be desirable to someone else.
Cloning isn't possible. NFC devices in general can be cloned but Rivian's keycards use some type of encryption that can't be copied. Someone tried it long ago and reported about it on this forum.

Key cards aren't expensive. Service quoted me $70 for a new keycard programmed to my truck. Of course, like most things Rivian, you may call and get a totally different answer. Tesla's keycards are inexpensive. Hopefully Rivian gets there too someday.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Yeah I think I would rather the ring vs the wristband.​
Or you know let me use the NFC in my watch... just sayin'​

Ditto. But Apple uses NFC only for Apply Pay and Apple Wallet. Perhaps the restriction is Apple, and not up to Rivian. Those concerned with sacrificing a keycard can just purchase an additional for this purpose. No big deal. Just money right? Ha.

OP
OP

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I don’t know for sure. I assume the cost on the website is the same for both Tesla and Rivian rings. The least expensive options are $120.

I’ll ask them and reply once I hear back.
The price for Rivian rings is the price listed on CNICK's website + a $20 fee for using an existing keycard to make the ring.

CNICK confirmed they're in the process of reaching out with an order link to everyone who filled out the web form.

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

For the last several weeks I’ve had the good fortune of being able to test the first Rivian ring key in the market. It’s made by CNICK (teslaring.com), who appear to have been making rings for Tesla for some time. They make the rings (I think) by dissolving the plastic around the chip and antenna in the key card and forming it into a ring.

Early on in the process, CNICK sent me a prototype ring to test with my R1T. They gave me the 6 digit keycard code (from the card they dissolved) that I intended to provide to Rivian Service to have it activated on my R1T. After several days of back and forth, Rivian declined to activate the ring for me! They said they will only activate keycards sold directly by them. They won’t (for example) allow someone to buy a keycard from eBay and then activate it to their vehicle. I believe others have bought secondhand wristbands and had them activated, so maybe a new policy? This was extremely frustrating as I believe Tesla lets you add new keycards from the infotainment screen.

As a next step, I sent CNICK one of my working keycards, and about two weeks later received the ring in the mail. It works great!

I asked them about the ordering process and this is what they said:

*I don’t work for or have any connection to CNICK. I emailed them almost two years ago asking if they had plans to make a ring for Rivian. They said no at the time but then reached out to me a few months ago and asked if I wanted to test a prototype. I'm posting on my own accord. I'm not being compensated, other than getting the ring for free to test.

**Crossposted to Rivian subreddit
Does the ring also start the car? Or just lock/unlock?