First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

The guy who ran the grabbers....
Tirerack reviews show Chevy Suburbans routinely getting 70-80k with the Grabber HTS 60, the Rivians torque likely shortens that a bit but I think it’s safe to say they are a fairly long-life tire and should be comparable to other high mileage tires…

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Thought I would chime in here
I’ve got this on my original 20 ats
15 months of driving
All of it in northern AL and southern TN
getting near the wear indicators
Rivian R1T R1S !ΒΏ Best 20” AT Tire for Range?! πŸ”‹πŸ”‹πŸ”‹ IMG_1675
Rivian R1T R1S !ΒΏ Best 20” AT Tire for Range?! πŸ”‹πŸ”‹πŸ”‹ IMG_1676

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Looks like it's Firestone Destination X/T for the win, at least 3 sizes that fit, my vote is for 285/65R20 (34.5" and 9.6" wide)...can save 2 pounds if drop down to 33.5" (285/60R20) and it's 9.9" wide...
Better snow performance with the 34.5" (due to height) and better offroad performance with the 33.5" (due to width).

Comparing Destination XT and Dueler AT: https://tiredriver.com/bridgestone-dueler-at-revo-3-vs-firestone-destination-xt/
"...my perspective the Firestone Destination XT features a superior on-road grip when it comes wet and snowy pavements. And off-road it provides better mud, sand and rocky terrain traction. The Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3 on the other hand, is much better in terms of dry traction, noise dampening, and fuel economy. Moreover, although by a slight margin, it also gives you longer tread life."

Comparing Destination XT and Toyo OC AT3:
https://tiredriver.com/firestone-destination-xt-vs-toyo-open-country-at3/
Highlight:
"...my perspective the Toyo Open Country AT3 provides you with better dry grip, though its really needs some wet traction. It’s supplies better noise dampening, wear resistance, and off road it shines on rocks. The Firestone Destination X/T, on the other side, offers better overall comfort, wet traction and fuel efficiency."

1709256949288.png
Based on the articles you provided. It seems like the Bridgestone dueler A/T revo 3 is more of a On road all terrain tire. Focus on comfort and will provide a slightly better MPK. While the Firestone XT would be a better off road tire.

Technically you might show a better MPK with the Firestone XT 285/65r20 since it's a 33.5" compared to the Bridgestone dueler a/t revo 3 which is a 34.1 but that could be from the mis-calibration. I wish Rivian would allow use or a tire center to enter our own tire diameter within reason to dial in the system.

Based on that would you conclude the Bridgestone dueler A/T revo 3 be a closer match to the OEM Pirelli 20" tire?

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

My vote is a no for the REVO:
But it's a fair comparison (OEM Pirelli vs AT Revo 3), so here goes:

My overall feeling is that the heavy weight of the R1 is not going to be well supported by the REVO tread pattern (also looks like a very noisey design).

These reviews are useful: " The road noise of the tires bother me most. Much louder than the BFG K02 I had before. Snow and ice traction don't impress me but are fine enough. I feel they are a rough noisy tire for what they are. I'm most likely going to just replace them early as they bother me that much."
" Road noise not very good. Slight vibration at 70 ish, even had them rebalanced, rotated and 4 wheel align. again, still the same. Cornering in deep snow is the worst I have ever had in an all wheeled drive. My VW Bug 30 years ago was better steering in deep snow....Its either the tires or my all wheeled drive isnt working. Check my wheels front wheels and they spin in snow so my 4 wheeled drive must be working "

OEM Pirelli (48#), 13/32", 51 psiAT Revo 3 (51#), 16/32", 80 psi
116H (130 mph)126S (112 mph)
OEM Pirelli is ECO Focus of 'ELECT', the REVO has no ECO Focus...
Widths are pretty much the same (9.1" vs 9")
Tread noise is likely an issue with the Revo:
"What We’d Improve: Tread noise is very noticeable."
Looking at the REVO tread there is a lot of open space which is what creates the noise...
Revo wet stopping and cornering were 135'/0.57 G-force
OEM wet stopping and cornering were 140'/0.58 G-force
Subjectively speaking, when I add up scores for both tires it's pretty much a wash, so I think your assessment is correct, the average treadwear rating is lower for the Revo so I wouldn't expect it lasting a whole lot longer than the OEM Pirelli.

If looking at prices (REVO is $403), there is also a 52# Firestone Destination X/T that is $338 (LT275/65R20 - 123/120R). I'd say the Firestone Destination X/T is a much better option than the REVO...
Rivian R1T R1S !ΒΏ Best 20” AT Tire for Range?! πŸ”‹πŸ”‹πŸ”‹ 1711566971585-zq

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The guy who ran the grabbers....
I'm currently using the grabber HTS60. there is a member here also used it and he said it lasted around 20K miles. For $200 a tire, I don't mind it at all.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

To add/summarize the most efficient AT (20")...if you want a ~34" then you should look for something in the low 50 pound ranges (51# Firestone Destination X/T - 285/60R20 which is 33.5"; $414).

If willing to go to 33", then the best AT option appears to be the Nitto Nomad Grappler (45#; $250), it's 116H and XL (not SL). Another option would be the Toyo OC R/T Trail in the P275/60R20 (43#) or P295/55R20 (47#) sizes (~$340).

If dropping to 115H then tire pressure will need to be adjusted up by 1-2 psi due to load rating change. If it's a 44 psi max tire then you'd want to run no lower than 43-44 psi to achieve a high enough load rating...this may result in a slightly larger contact patch than ideal, but you could bump up the pressure to ~47 psi if concerned and it makes a difference.

If possible, should not run a lower speed rating than recommended (H = 130 mph) as this plays a role in how the tire's load rating will decrease with speed (a tire at 80 mph has a lower load rating than the same tire at 40 mph). Significantly lower speed ratings could result in safety issues.
Sponsored