ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Those look like a solid jack of all trades option, 60# and only 9.2” would keep them off my shortlist for a true AT. Also, looks like it’s more of an all around tire, not great off-road performance. If looking at this, I’d take a 45# AT (Nitto Ridge Grappler 8.9” wide) before this one. Sidewalls are weak for being 60#.

but the XLT definitely shines in treadwear department.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

A dedicated thread for 34" tires would be great. There has been a fair amount of misunderstanding between folks asking questions about 34" tires, then receiving answers referring to 33" tires, and vice versa. Your other thread which specifies 275/60/R20 33" in the title is much appreciated. An equivalent for 275/65/R20 34" tires would be great
started a place holder with a couple options, hopefully some people can chime in with any that meet criteria (<60# and >9”) and/or honorable mentions (exceptional treadwear or other unique features)…

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Looks like it's Firestone Destination X/T for the win, at least 3 sizes that fit, my vote is for 285/65R20 (34.5" and 9.6" wide)...can save 2 pounds if drop down to 33.5" (285/60R20) and it's 9.9" wide...
Better snow performance with the 34.5" (due to height) and better offroad performance with the 33.5" (due to width).

Comparing Destination XT and Dueler AT: https://tiredriver.com/bridgestone-dueler-at-revo-3-vs-firestone-destination-xt/
"...my perspective the Firestone Destination XT features a superior on-road grip when it comes wet and snowy pavements. And off-road it provides better mud, sand and rocky terrain traction. The Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3 on the other hand, is much better in terms of dry traction, noise dampening, and fuel economy. Moreover, although by a slight margin, it also gives you longer tread life."

Comparing Destination XT and Toyo OC AT3:
https://tiredriver.com/firestone-destination-xt-vs-toyo-open-country-at3/
Highlight:
"...my perspective the Toyo Open Country AT3 provides you with better dry grip, though its really needs some wet traction. It’s supplies better noise dampening, wear resistance, and off road it shines on rocks. The Firestone Destination X/T, on the other side, offers better overall comfort, wet traction and fuel efficiency."

1709256949288.png
I want to thank you for all the work you have done researching different 34" tire options. I've spent countless hours researching new tires for my Rivian. I currently have ~23,000 miles on the stock 20" A/T tires and they are getting loud. Tread wise I probably can squeeze another 6,000 miles out of them. Taking a road trip next month. I will see if the noise on the highway drives me nuts.

As for tires, I thought I was set on the Michelin Platinum. But after reading a few not so positive reviews. They sent me scrambling back to the forums to seek out a better option. That is when I found your post which suggested the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3. Probably 97% of my driving in on road. From what I read these tires will provide a great ride with little road noise. However, they are expensive. I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned or reviewed by other Rivian owners.

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
I want to thank you for all the work you have done researching different 34" tire options. I've spent countless hours researching new tires for my Rivian. I currently have ~23,000 miles on the stock 20" A/T tires and they are getting loud. Tread wise I probably can squeeze another 6,000 miles out of them. Taking a road trip next month. I will see if the noise on the highway drives me nuts.

As for tires, I thought I was set on the Michelin Platinum. But after reading a few not so positive reviews. They sent me scrambling back to the forums to seek out a better option. That is when I found your post which suggested the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3. Probably 97% of my driving in on road. From what I read these tires will provide a great ride with little road noise. However, they are expensive. I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned or reviewed by other Rivian owners.
You should read this https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ent-than-pirelli-oem-at-the-holy-grail.25468/

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Appreciate it! There are 2-3 camps here. At extremes are people seeking high efficiency (2.5+ MPK) or those looking for the ultimate off-road setup that won’t completely destroy efficiency/range…

Not a ton of people in the middle, but some.

Are you sure you need the AT?
Also, are you sure you don’t want to downsize to 33”, there are many more options there…

Continental and Firestone also have some great options…

Sponsored

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Appreciate it! There are 2-3 camps here. At extremes are people seeking high efficiency (2.5+ MPK) or those looking for the ultimate off-road setup that won’t completely destroy efficiency/range…

Also, are you sure you don’t want to downsize to 33”, there are many more options there…

Do I need an A/T not really, but do I like the look. ;) I will be happy with a tire that provides either the same or is more efficiency than the stock A/T Pirelli.

I don't want to downsize. My reason for not wanting to downsize is I don't want to deal with recalibrating my truck with Rivian. It's a struggle to get any type of service done on this vehicle.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Do I need an A/T not really, but do I like the look. ;) I will be happy with a tire that provides either the same or is more efficiency than the stock A/T Pirelli.

I don't want to downsize. My reason for not wanting to downsize is I don't want to deal with recalibrating my truck with Rivian. It's a struggle to get any type of service do on this vehicle.
take a look at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S (not M/S2)…
34.5” - 285/65R20 (55#)
Or
33.9” - 295/60R20 (54#)

unless you go OEM Pirelli or 33” size, you will not get same/better than ~2 MPK….

Defender could get close…

if you want a solid AT then I suggest the 33.5” Firestone Destination X/T (285/60R20) it’s only 51#, but 10” wide!
evmike reported initial MPK of ~1.85

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I mean what does loosing 1" in this context (All Terrains) I figured if the tire is better at AT performance and you could take a better line to compensate with the 1" loss.
Some of us actually go off-road and the extra 1/2" of clearance will make a difference, especially with a 136" wheelbase. Taking a different line isn't always an option.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I'm in the 2.5+ camp. So that leaves me with the A/S 20" perellis, yes?

Sponsored

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Some of us actually go off-road and the extra 1/2" of clearance will make a difference, especially with a 136" wheelbase. Taking a different line isn't always an option.
And those folks are ideally running 35”+ tires…
I like the 34.5” Firestone Destination X/T (285/65R20) for that application since it’s only 53# but 9.6” wide…

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

I'm in the 2.5+ camp. So that leaves me with the A/S 20" perellis, yes?
I prefer the XL Gen. Grabber HTS60 since it’s both lighter weight 34# AND wider (8.6” vs 8.3”), the XL Goodyear Wrangler Territory HT also worth looking at…

All things being equal, I’ve found electric vehicles devour skinny/narrow tires…which means a skinny tire that is low UTQG (<660) is about the worst option.

I do really like the fact that Pirelli is 800 AA, don’t like that it’s SL or only 115H

if ok with 10% less range (2.25 vs 2.5 MPK) then the Continental TerrainContact H/T is a better width (8.9”) and is 720 AA and 115H…

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I prefer the XL Gen. Grabber HTS60 since it’s both lighter weight 34# AND wider (8.6” vs 8.3”), the XL Goodyear Wrangler Territory HT also worth looking at…

All things being equal, I’ve found electric vehicles devour skinny/narrow tires…which means a skinny tire that is low UTQG (<660) is about the worst option.

I do really like the fact that Pirelli is 800 AA, don’t like that it’s SL or only 115H

if ok with 10% less range (2.25 vs 2.5 MPK) then the Continental TerrainContact H/T is a better width (8.9”) and is 720 AA and 115H…
I heard the grabbers aren't long for this world though?

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
take a look at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S (not M/S2)…
34.5” - 285/65R20 (55#)
Or
33.9” - 295/60R20 (54#)

unless you go OEM Pirelli or 33” size, you will not get same/better than ~2 MPK….

Defender could get close…

if you want a solid AT then I suggest the 33.5” Firestone Destination X/T (285/60R20) it’s only 51#, but 10” wide!
evmike reported initial MPK of ~1.85
Oh wow!! I have a little over 22,000 miles on my trip OD and it is reporting 2.4 MPK on the OEM Pirelli. I really hope to get something close to that. But if others are reporting 1.85 that is a huge difference. Now I’m not sure what I will do. I never thought I would be saying this but maybe I will buy the OEM Pirelli again. I wish the Revo 3 would have been similar in MPK.
Thank you again for all your input on this. Even the guys are Discount tire were recommending the Revo 3.