Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I wonder if there will be a way to upgrade the charge port on our trucks so we don’t have to have an adapter.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I have said RAN was a waste of money from the beginning. Makes no sense to be in power distribution business...
Tell that to the multitudes of companies in the gasoline distribution business.

Why do you think Tesla is doing this? It's all about increasing their power distribution revenue. Read up on Standard Oil and Rockefeller.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Email from Rivian:

We’re collaborating with Tesla to open charging for Rivian vehicles at more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across The United States and Canada.

Starting as early as Spring 2024, we’ll offer an NACS adapter that allows you to charge at Tesla charging sites. This is in addition to the large expansion of the Rivian Adventure Network we have planned and other third-party CCS networks.

What is the NACS?
The North American Charging Standard is an electric vehicle charging connector designed by Tesla.

How will I find Tesla charging sites?
Once the NACS adapter is available for your Rivian vehicle, we’ll add available NACS charging sites to Rivian’s digital ecosystem including the Rivian app and in-vehicle navigation.

How does this affect plans for the Rivian Adventure Network?
This collaboration does not affect our plans to expand the Rivian Adventure Network to over 3,500 fast chargers at more than 600 sites. Having access to Tesla’s Superchargers adds even more flexibility and convenience for Rivian drivers on the road.

This agreement makes electric vehicle ownership simpler by offering more ways to fast charge your Rivian vehicle and supports our mission to decarbonize transportation.

Sponsored

tg_cid

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster
Not sure if NACS supports bidirectional or not, but the email says nothing about replacing the port, just offering an adapter.

Either way:
Rivian R1T R1S 🚨 Rivian Adopts Tesla NACS Standard! (Adapters in 2024, Standard Charging Port in 2025) hhs2nvcemfsq4xjrv7q&ep=v1_gifs_translate&rid=giphy

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Now get NACS out of Tesla's exclusive control and into a recognized standards body, and all will be good.
The last time I was close to An ASME standards committee meeting, the person in charge of it called it “beating everyone into consensus”

there will be some fun meetings

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
now I'm wondering if my Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter is going to be useful or obsolete.
It's still NIB.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I was in Altlanta with a Hertz Telsa rental. I went to two Supechargers while I was there. At 5 PM, both were 80% occupied (9 or 10 out of 12 stations). How's that gonna go in 2024 when 4 million new users are added?
Others will be entering the charging space as demand increases. It won't be just Tesla charging NA vehicles.

bholliday5150

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
La Silver R1T (7/14/22), Ford Explorer
Occupation
Assistant Principal,
Clubs

Just got my email. Great news.

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Not sure if NACS supports bidirectional or not, but the email says nothing about replacing the port, just offering an adapter.

Either way:
hhs2nvcemfsq4xjrv7q&ep=v1_gifs_translate&rid=giphy.gif

There's already an aftermarket adapter already. Just need an official Rivian one.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Either way:
In 2025, Rivian will incorporate NACS charge ports as standard in R1T and R1S, and offer a corresponding CCS adapter.
Did you get the same e-mail as I did?

If people have to use a CCS adapter to use RAN that'll be the stupidest thing Rivian has done so far.

Bradyb23

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
102K 2014 Highlander; former Tesla Model 3 lessor
So how will this physically work for us with the existing trucks? Will be able to buy an adapter that can handle a decent current?
From the email Rivian sent a few minutes ago:

We’re collaborating with Tesla to open charging for Rivian vehicles at more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across The United States and Canada.

Starting as early as Spring 2024, we’ll offer an NACS adapter that allows you to charge at Tesla charging sites. In 2025, Rivian will incorporate NACS charge ports as standard in R1T and R1S, and offer a corresponding CCS adapter. No matter which charging port is built into your Rivian vehicle, you’ll soon have access to over 25,000 DC fast chargers spanning Rivian Adventure Network, Tesla Superchargers and other third-party CCS networks.

What is the NACS?
The North American Charging Standard is an electric vehicle charging connector designed by Tesla.

How will I find Tesla charging sites?
Once the NACS adapter is available for your Rivian vehicle, we’ll add available NACS charging sites to Rivian’s digital ecosystem including the Rivian app and in-vehicle navigation.

How does this affect plans for the Rivian Adventure Network?
This collaboration does not affect our plans to expand the Rivian Adventure Network to over 3,500 fast chargers at more than 600 sites. Having access to Tesla’s Superchargers adds even more flexibility and convenience for Rivian drivers on the road.

This agreement makes electric vehicle ownership simpler by offering more ways to fast charge your Rivian vehicle and supports our mission to decarbonize transportation.

If you have questions, we’re here to help. And if you’re taking delivery soon, contact your Guide with questions about your vehicle.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Either way:
now I'm wondering if my Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter is going to be useful or obsolete.
It's still NIB.
The “new standard” tesla plug uses the same communications protocols as J1772/CCS - so it’s effectively that chsrging standard in a tesla connector-wrapper.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Perhaps. But this quick adoption by so many companies looks like a massive overload of the Telsa Supercharger vehicle capacity to me when 2024 comes. Telsa owners should be getting pissed right now.
Nope, they recognize the strategic win here. Also, by far most EVs are Tesla anyways, so there won’t be the massive overload you think there will be. Also Tesla is building out a new site or more every day right now, so they are expanding at crazy pace.
Sponsored