Sponsored

Dukecj

First Name
DukeofManville
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S, and 2023 Rivian R1T
Well, 3,500 Superchargers is a lot less than the 12,000+ that the agreement covers.

I don't see Tesla going dual cable in North America. In 2025 there will likely be ~3,500 Superchargers open to all via the MagicDock, while there will be ~24,000 Superchargers open to the NACS coalition.
The magic dock is just for research and development to see what changes must be made to make NACS an open standard in order for Tesla to qualify for government funding. As of right now, it does not qualify because every vehicle cannot charge on Tesla supercharges while every vehicle can charge at CCS charges.

In addition, as of right now, 800 volt vehicles cannot charge effectively at superchargers. This includes the GMC Hummer and the soon to be released Chevy Silverado EV, Kia, Hyundia, Porshe, Audi, Lucid, Polestar etc...

Furthermore, depending on the charging port location some car cannot charge at superchargers. For example, the Ford F150 cannot charge because the supercharger's cables are too short.

Therefore, it will be much easier for Tesla to make changes to 12,000 superchargers than for car companies to make costly changes to hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

Watch them all change their minds come 2025 😄
Sponsored

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Good news. I also agree with that Rivian should keep going with RAN; but only in National Parks and State Parks or similar areas.

For New Mexico: White Sands needs a RAN immediately. Elephant Butte too. For the Northern part, Navajo Lake and Chaco Canyon. Carlsbad Caverns in the far south.
Would love to see a RAN in death valley

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 genesis gv70 sport prestige. 13 fiat pop, 22 R1
Occupation
Air traffic controller, retired
I don’t think Tesla will be going after any NEVI money at this point unless the idiots up top switch the law to allow NACS connectors. Not enough money in NEVI to make it worthwhile when the supercharger Network has a potential value of 100 billion. More money to be made off customers of Ford, GM, Rivian, and any other manufacture that smartens up then there would be for Tesla to go after NEVI funding by installing Magic docks.

I hope Tesla kills the magic dock and sells adaptors to customers with CCS ports if they want to use the superchargers. More money for Tesla to sell adapters then it would be installing magic docks.
Tesla has already received money by opening magic docks with the promise of more

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
You go to the 'dealer' lot and there are two R1Ts. One has a NACS port and one has a CCS port and both are the same cost, which one do you buy if all else is equal?

It's not complicated... its all about perceived convenience or obsolescence
Couldn’t disagree more. By the way they will likely never be the same price, one will be a 2022 or 2023 model and the other will be a 2025. A knowledgeable driver, and I understand all of them will not be, will not give a second thought to using an adapter when on the occasional road trip. Again an overreaction!

Reactions: Guy

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
You go to the 'dealer' lot and there are two R1Ts. One has a NACS port and one has a CCS port and both are the same cost, which one do you buy if all else is equal?

It's not complicated... its all about perceived convenience or obsolescence
And the difference in price between the two cars, if you could even control for model year differences, will be minimal

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Tesla has already received money by opening magic docks with the promise of more
I don't see the need for more Magic Docks !!! they just need to build more super chargers and let everyone use it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Based on my reading, I don't think the NEVI text precludes Tesla from getting NEVI funding.

A simple google search for "full NEVI text" brought me to https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...cle-infrastructure-standards-and-requirements

Here's what I see from the text:

"Connector Types

This final rule establishes a requirement that each DCFC port must have a Combined Charging System (CCS) Type 1 connectors. This final rule also allows DCFC charging ports to have other non-proprietary connectors so long as each DCFC charging port is capable of charging a CCS-compliant vehicle."

" FHWA Response: Commenters overwhelmingly supported the CCS connector standard and verified that the industry is moving to adopt CCS as a market standard; therefore, FHWA requires CCS Type 1 connectors for each DCFC port through this final rule. Although a few commenters preferred Tesla connectors, most of the Tesla products are proprietary and do not address the needs of the majority of EV makes and models available in the domestic market. However, on November 11, 2022, Tesla announced its “North American Charging Standard” (NACS), which makes its existing and previously proprietary Electric Vehicle charging port and connector available for broad and open public use, including to network operators and vehicle manufacturers. In the announcement, Tesla noted that charging providers were planning to offer NACS charging ports at public charging infrastructure. This rulemaking allows permanently attached non-proprietary connectors (such as NACS) to be provided on each charging port so long as each DCFC charging port has at least one permanently attached CCS Type 1 connector and is capable of charging a CCS-compliant vehicle."

I think that Telsa should be able to get NEVI funding with Magic Dock stations.

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I don't see the need for more Magic Docks !!! they just need to build more super chargers and let everyone use it.
Well, first someone will have to invent an adapter that works on a supercharger. Until then, if you want to use a supercharger, it must have a magic dock.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Well, first someone will have to invent an adapter that works on a supercharger. Until then, if you want to use a supercharger, it must have a magic dock.
Tesla already have the adapter on their magic Dock. All they need to do is mass produce it. !

PaulPlacerCounty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 and Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired Attorney
This is indeed good news.

A minor question I guess I'll need to pose to CS is whether my R1S, which in theory only will come to me a year from now, will
- include the NACS adaptor, or
- I'll have to purchase the NACS adaptor separately, and
- will the NACS adaptor be for sale in the Gear Shop.

Again, minor details that I'm sure will sort out in the months ahead.

But having a broader charging network will alay many concerns about longer trips. By way of example here in California, at just about the exact midpoint for driving down the central value from the SF Bay Area toward LA there is about an acre of Tesla chargers at Kettleman City . . . seemingly little used. I'm sure that'll change now.

Sponsored

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
There were two different e-mails sent out depending on if you were are a current or future customer. I was both.
1687272204350.png

1687272264878.png

1687272278712.png

Honestly I don't know why they wouldn't have told current owners that they are moving forward with the NACS as standard. Seems incredibly disingenuous to have multiple versions like this.
Very odd. I'm both an owner and in the wait list. I received 2 emails, both the same and neither had the 2025 nacs statement in it. Very odd indeed

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Tesla network is cheaper.
For the moment. Everything is subject to change until whatever change you want/don't want actually happens. If you don't like the possibility of future changes, then don't buy anything, ever. Problem solved.

Jdcorbitt3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad motor CR 2021 Tesla Model Y Perf
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

I would really love to be able to use either supercharger or ccs networks on my once or twice a year road trips. It seems silly to carry an expensive adapter the other 350 days a year. Someone should set up a rental service for the adapter. $30/week to rent a $500 adapter. Or maybe I'll buy one together with friends and co-op it.
Tesla owners back in 2012 2013 were cooping Chademo adapters before the SuperCharger network was built out. Those adapters were $400.