First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I recently switched from stock 21" Pirellis to Atomic AW09 wheels and Michelin LTX Platinums. I may be testing the Costco return policy soon! Despite Michelin advertising these as an EV-ready tire, the Platinum's rolling resistance must be quite high. I don't have much data to go on yet since I only had them installed on 2/29, but so far they haen't been what I expected.

Use ElectraFi's Wh/Mi data on a route I drive frequently, plus a spreadsheet to do the math and adjust for the size difference:
  • Pirelli average Mi/kWh from November through February 28: 2.12
  • Michelin Platinum avg Mi/kWh from Feb 29 to today: 1.92
And this doesn't even take into account the difference in temperature. There were some damn cold weeks in KC from Nov to Feb. My lifetime average on the Pirellis is 2.20 over 28k miles. That includes some trips towing a camper getting under 1.0 for hundreds of miles.

I recently increased the pressure on the Platinums to 63psi. I was running about 53. More data to come.

The ride on the Platinums, being a LT tire, makes me feel like I'm driving my dad's F250...

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Will be curious how these last. I am guessing not very long.

I truly believe the Rivian needs to be on an LT.

Sponsored

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Will be curious how these last. I am guessing not very long.

I truly believe the Rivian needs to be on an LT.
Doesn’t have to be LT but should at least be XL, SL is for passenger cars…just because you can doesn’t mean you should…

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
My hypothesis is that it depends on the number of those micro gooves that make tires better in the snow… the more a tire has, the more snow rated and the more the tire flexes, hence increasing rolling resistance. I think rolling resisntance is a function of tire softness and deformation. That’s proably why 3 peak rated tires have lower MPG efficiency… but that just my thought… These grappler ATs don’t have many micro grooves for slow…
Hmm.....maybe, but then you're probably trading off snow performance for efficiency. I guess there's reallly no free lunch...

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Doesn’t have to be LT but should at least be XL, SL is for passenger cars…just because you can doesn’t mean you should…
Yes. But, that doesn't mean SL is wrong. The load rating is published for a reason. Consumers have to consider and weigh all aspects.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I have Recon Grapplers for the last 12k miles and my efficiency is 1.6m/kWH I get 250 miles in a full charge in AP. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so looks like YMMV quite literally.

Edit: 275/60r20 116S XL. I run them 48psi cold though they have a 50 max psi rating

Last edited:

Sponsored

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

I have Recon Grapplers for the last 12k miles and my efficiency is 1.6m/kWH I get 250 miles in a full charge in AP. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so looks like YMMV quite literally.
LT?

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Which Recon Grappler though?

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Which Recon Grappler though?
Sorry, 275/60r20 116S XL. I run them 48psi cold though they have a 50 max psi rating.

They’ve gotten quite loud the last week but the tread is only at 10/32 from the original 13/32.

Also I don’t drive it like I stole it— I’m fairly conservative on these LA streets but I do punch it when I’m on the freeway. Also I live it the foothills so there is some elevation gain which craters my efficiency quickly.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

What on earth are you doing to get 2.24mi/kwh on an 835HP truck? Lol

In all seriousness, at higher elevation, you should see better efficiency due to the air density - particularly at highway speeds. Less air = less air resistnace… regardless, you are doing awesome at 2.24!
Drive it like a stole it a lot of the time...my stock tires are probably going to see less than 14k miles before I need to replace them. But my commute is also 60 mph with relatively few lights.
Sponsored