Sponsored

2024.19.04 Software update brings noticeable improvements to ride quality!

RocklinRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Quad R1S, BMW M3, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Hi everyone, I have a quad Gen 1 R1S and like many others, the choppiness of the suspension was one of my biggest complaint about the R1S. So when I saw that 2024.19.04 was going to include suspension tuning, I was very excited.

Official release notes:
  • Fine-tuned damping for all drive modes to provide an improved driving experience.
  • Re-tuned Ride Feel options to offer a broader range of body control settings.
  • Improved software sensing and added automatic adjustment of damping control for varying load conditions. such as when carrying additional passengers, gear, or when towing a trailer.
  • Improved terrain management for a smoother experience on uneven or rough roads.
  • Improved pitch management during acceleration and braking, resulting in a smoother launch off the line and reduced nosedive when decelerating.
So after applying the update, I was eager to take my R1S for a drive to see if these changes would be noticeable. I only did a short 7-10 mile drive, but it was roads close to home where I am very familiar with how the R1S suspension performed previously.
I'm happy to report that this update has brought VERY noticeable improvements to the ride quality on Gen 1 Quad R1S. The R1S no longer pogo's and porpoises (front and rear) like it used to. The rear end squat on acceleration and front end nose dive on deceleration are much improved.
Moderate setting seems perfect. Soft setting is good too, not as floaty as it was before. did not try Firm yet, but I rarely used it before anyways.

Very happy with this update! curious to hear others's impressions
Sponsored

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
yes. Standard height. I didn’t try other heights or modes
To me the other modes aren't even a realistic choice with choppy pavement around town on the R1S even on 20's. Can't wait to get the new update and give it a whirl but I'm still skeptical that it will be a huge improvement on what is a meh suspension setup with Gen 1 on R1S.

AlexF

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, BMW
Occupation
Computer Systems Validation Engineer
I am surprised by the improvement to soft mode in all-purpose. Must less “bouncy” over road undulations. Maybe it’s in my head but it was immediately noticeable and I didn’t expect to be able to tell a difference. This seems like more than a minor improvement.
Sponsored