Best Front License Plate Alternative to having Front R1S Bumper Drilled

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My state requires a front plate and I have not had one since I got my first car. As I've noted before-I live life dangerously.
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I installed the brain exploder tow hook license plate bracket along with the stock plate holder.

Very simple and works perfect. Doesn’t show up on the camera or the sensors.

Also used a silicone license plate cover for the back plate to make sure the license plate doesn’t bang against the body

Rivian R1T R1S Best Front License Plate Alternative to having Front R1S Bumper Drilled IMG_5746

Rivian R1T R1S Best Front License Plate Alternative to having Front R1S Bumper Drilled IMG_6054

Rivian R1T R1S Best Front License Plate Alternative to having Front R1S Bumper Drilled img_5646-jpe

Rivian R1T R1S Best Front License Plate Alternative to having Front R1S Bumper Drilled img_5645-jpe

Rivian R1T R1S Best Front License Plate Alternative to having Front R1S Bumper Drilled img_5648-jpe

Rivian R1T R1S Best Front License Plate Alternative to having Front R1S Bumper Drilled img_5650-jpe

YellowR1T

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Clubs

I have this on my R1T. The BrainExploder plate mount was easy to install and not visible on any cameras. It also didn't mess with any sensors. Would absolutely buy it again or recommend it.
https://www.brainexplodermerch.com/product-page/rivian-tow-hook-license-plate

I also have two other cars with a License Plate Wrap, but I wanted something a bit different for my R1T since good alternative solutions existed.
https://licenseplatewrap.com/shop/ols/products/license-plate-wrap

Tim
Can you leave it on when going through a touchless carwash?

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Can you leave it on when going through a touchless carwash?
I have the Tow Hook bracket you mentioned and it’s very simple to pop off / unclip / remove the stock bracket from the brain exploder tow hook mount.

I plan to remove it when I go off-road.

I would remove it if I planned to take my car to a touchless carwash. I’ve only done hand washes and plan to keep it that way.

Black paint is a labor of love.

I would recommend you not use a touchless Carwash and instead hand wash with a foam cannon and three bucket method.

9sparkfuls

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Being in California, I bought a front plate decal -- which is reflective and looks identical to the metal license plate (you take a picture and send it in). I used a company in Canada, but there are a few options out there. I plan to do the same for my Texas plate, and I do not care if the state legislature has caught up to that law or not -- the point is to be legible, and these are much more legible than the often-seen smoked plate covers you see. I'll happily take the risk of having to talk to a judge at some point, but I will not be permanently defacing my truck for anyone.
In CA, they are legal as part of a pilot program through 2023. This article covers it and references the legislation.

https://www.motor1.com/news/585925/california-front-plate-wraps/

Sponsored

EveryAmp

Site Sponsor
First Name
EveryAmp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
everyamp.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, & Model Y
Why do all these options seem to suggest removing the plate holders prior to touchless car wash? Are they all that delicate?
I can't speak for others but in SnapPlate's case we've intentionally designed it to break away in worst case scenarios to ensure there is no damage to the plastic grille it is attaching to. A metal mount might sounds like a good idea until you get backed into or something like a car wash brush pulls up on the bracket and breaks your plastic grille. In those rare cases we offer heavily discounted replacement parts vs $800+ for a new grille.

SnapPlate is a simple one button release (when not using the optional use security screw).
Rivian R1T R1S Best Front License Plate Alternative to having Front R1S Bumper Drilled DSC01469
I've ran mine through the car wash a few times and never had a problem, but we can not guarantee the same results for everyone else and different styles of washes. Thus we must recommend removing them prior to automated touch washes. They've been known to take off mirrors after all...

There are a lot of great options out there. Just need to choose what style you like best.

Impromptu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica
I got a snap plate for my R1S about a month ago. I put it in the middle position. I use the safety screw. I keep the screw driver in the frunk cargo netting pocket.

My biggest problem with automatic car washes is they don't clean the R1S very well, so I haven't had a chance to remove it, yet. But it should be pretty easy.

shashmi324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Appreciate all the info here. I’m in NY and front plates are required. Thought I’d risk it but within my first month, got pulled over for not having it. Cop let me go because Rivian still has me driving on temp tags.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Is this is it “kosher” though? Specially up
In MA .?
This is on FAQ for the companies link
  • There is no such law that determines that non-standard vinyl licence plate replica are illegal. Therefore, you should not be in any legal trouble for using a non-standard vinyl licence plate replica.
MA law requires that the plates be "issued by the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles". In addition, do you want to buy plates (or take legal/regulatory advice) from a company that misspelled "license plate" in their own FAQ section?

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
MA law requires that the plates be "issued by the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles". In addition, do you want to buy plates (or take legal/regulatory advice) from a company that misspelled "license plate" in their own FAQ section?
That's the Canadian (British) spelling of it.

Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I just use the tow hook mount. Easy peasy.
Totally this. Couldn't be easier and I actually like the off-center look. No interference with sensors/camera. An elegant solution (if somewhat overpriced for a small bit of plastic).

pointless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Awaiting R1T
Finally got mine after many months. Can you now actually pay online? (mouth agape)

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Totally this. Couldn't be easier and I actually like the off-center look. No interference with sensors/camera. An elegant solution (if somewhat overpriced for a small bit of plastic).
I installed mine yesterday and this morning I was getting sensor interference at slow speeds approaching a stop. I'll have to make some adjustments and test again.

Impromptu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica
I can't speak for others but in SnapPlate's case we've intentionally designed it to break away in worst case scenarios to ensure there is no damage to the plastic grille it is attaching to. A metal mount might sounds like a good idea until you get backed into or something like a car wash brush pulls up on the bracket and breaks your plastic grille. In those rare cases we offer heavily discounted replacement parts vs $800+ for a new grille.

SnapPlate is a simple one button release (when not using the optional use security screw).
DSC01469.jpeg
I've ran mine through the car wash a few times and never had a problem, but we can not guarantee the same results for everyone else and different styles of washes. Thus we must recommend removing them prior to automated touch washes. They've been known to take off mirrors after all...

There are a lot of great options out there. Just need to choose what style you like best.
I can confirm that the Snap Plate does break away. I was driving through large puddles on Goat Ranch Road near the Elfendahl Off Road Vehicle Park in Washington state when mine broke off. My recommendation is to remember to take it off before going through large puddles.

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

I can confirm that the Snap Plate does break away. I was driving through large puddles on Goat Ranch Road near the Elfendahl Off Road Vehicle Park in Washington state when mine broke off. My recommendation is to remember to take it off before going through large puddles.
Which position do you have the plate mounted in Low, Medium, High?
Sponsored