Best Front License Plate Alternative to having Front R1S Bumper Drilled

agentfive

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I have confirmation that they won't be drilling the front of the R1s - we're in Massachusetts and now I need a good front plate option that won't interfere with sensors - and I'd like to have it centered not on the HOOKS left or right? I'm struggling to find a non-3D Printed version that seem to break. What are my best options?
Sponsored

CoalCreek

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (Performance Max Pack)
Why won't they drill the front bumper? The majority of states require a front plate, including all of New England, so even if you sell it later it won't really detract any value.

Z00mBye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Is this is it ā€œkosherā€ though? Specially up
In MA .?
This is on FAQ for the companies link
  • There is no such law that determines that non-standard vinyl licence plate replica are illegal. Therefore, you should not be in any legal trouble for using a non-standard vinyl licence plate replica.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
These are you 2 best bets for no drilling. Or just don't bother with the plate at all. CA is a front plate required state, but eh, I've never had a plate on my cars since I started driving 20+ years ago.

I've met Tony (Quick Bandit) multiple times as he lives out here in the same area at Tesla meets. Super nice and hard working guy. He makes these plates by hand at his home with his wife, per order. These 2 products are very popular in the Tesla community. But personally, I like the Quick Bandit design better, and as stated, since I know Tony personally, that's who I'd go with if it were me.

https://www.1975creations.com/product-page/quick-bandit-rivian-r1t-r1s

https://everyamp.com/shop/snapplate-r1t-r1s-2022/

Sponsored

Spyderman09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S/Tesla Model S Plaid
I use the SnapPlate (linked by @nukem384 in his post) on my Model S as well as ordered one for my R1S. Works very well.

I donā€™t put it on except for when parking in downtown Denver, which is about the only time itā€™s really enforced. For daily driving I leave it in the trunk just in case.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
I use the SnapPlate (linked by @nukem384 in his post) on my Model S as well as ordered one for my R1S. Works very well.

I donā€™t put it on except for when parking in downtown Denver, which is about the only time itā€™s really enforced. For daily driving I leave it in the trunk just in case.
I have been using SnapPlate as well for over a year now. Solid design and easy to install. Does slightly interfere with front camera on Birds Eye view but not bad in my opinion

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
In MA .?
  • There is no such law that determines that non-standard vinyl licence plate replica are illegal. Therefore, you should not be in any legal trouble for using a non-standard vinyl licence plate replica.
I would not want to quote some companies advertising materials as defense if a police officer pulled me over when Massachusetts law says this:

Every motor vehicle or trailer registered under this chapter when operated in or on any way in this commonwealth shall have its register number displayed conspicuously thereon by the number plates furnished by the registrar ... No number plates other than such as are procured from the registrar or such as may be authorized by him for temporary use, except as provided in section three, shall be displayed on any motor vehicle
It may not be illegal to own a replica license plate but it certainly does not sound like it would help you meet the legal requirement of wearing a front license plate since this clearly was not the plate provided to you by the registrar.

If this vinyl sticker does not qualify as "number plate" then you would be guilty of violating the first part, and if it does qualify as a "number plate", then you're guilty of violating the second part.

The fake plate may prevent the police from noticing you don't have you real plate mounted if the police in your area pull people over specifically for that violation.

But if the police look at it closely, you're probably more likely to get a ticket for having a fake plate than you are for having no plate.

Also, Massachusetts has annual vehicle inspections. Even if you wanted to wear that sticker the rest of the year, on inspection day, you'd need your real plate mounted. When I used to live in Massachusetts, they would always make me remove the OEM license plate frame each year on inspection day. I can't imagine the inspector wouldn't notice the sticker wasn't a real plate.

Last edited:

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

Identical in every way.

Sponsored

edman007

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CY R1S
In MA .?
I don't buy that at all, here in NY they were giving people felony tickets last year when they decided to crack down of fake plates. They said it's a forged state government document, and that's a felony. So yea, they don't have a law that says your fake plate can't be vinyl because they already have a law that forging government documents is illegal. I think the wording of that manufacturer statement is just saying it's legal to own, just not use and display.

If you're ok with stickers on the paint, grab some 3M VHB and slap it on with that, though I would be worried about being able to remove it later with damaging the paint.

I think OPs options really are snapplate, or something on a tow hook, that's what I'm doing.

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
OP
OP
agentfive

agentfive

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Why won't they drill the front bumper? The majority of states require a front plate, including all of New England, so even if you sell it later it won't really detract any value.
They will but I don't want it - maybe I'll relent but I think I may run without the plate and have it in the car that it snapped off or something hehehe

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)
Being in California, I bought a front plate decal -- which is reflective and looks identical to the metal license plate (you take a picture and send it in). I used a company in Canada, but there are a few options out there. I plan to do the same for my Texas plate, and I do not care if the state legislature has caught up to that law or not -- the point is to be legible, and these are much more legible than the often-seen smoked plate covers you see. I'll happily take the risk of having to talk to a judge at some point, but I will not be permanently defacing my truck for anyone.
Sponsored