Sponsored

21" tire tread wear and mileage.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Looks like 22's are the option for that. Decent selection, including Michelins, at Tire Rack.
That might be an option, although I'd much rather go with 20" for ride quality, other than the base AT tire issue. But hopefully there are too selections on this.

I do worry about finding P-metric tires rated for the load without going to efficiency-killing LT tires.

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon
I saw all those too for the 22's...just wondering if those all have the right load ratings?
I'm in a hurry today so didn't do the thorough reading, but in my experience Tire Rack is pretty darn reliable -- I'm sure they do.

Their research links are outstanding -- you can spend as much time as you have and get as educated as you want on their site. A digital library for tire nerds.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I'm in a hurry today so didn't do the thorough reading, but in my experience Tire Rack is pretty darn reliable -- I'm sure they do.

Their research links are outstanding -- you can spend as much time as you have and get as educated as you want on their site. A digital library for tire nerds.
Well, thankfully most of us won't be needing tires for a bit, haha. But - good to know there are some choices for the 22's. I'm sure there will be another down the road for the 21's.

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Curmudgeon
@bkswede addressed the extra wheel issue in a different thread today. He said the Service Center guys told him you'll be able to buy extra wheels through the gear shop in the future, and may be able to do it from the service center at time of delivery:

I asked him about ability to purchase an extra set of 20" wheels with ATs as I won't be comfortable with the 22s in MN winter. He indicated that we will ultimately be able to purchase through the gear shop, but can buy from the service center in the meantime. He noted that one of the employees had 22s on his R1T, which worked fine during our MN winter last year - he said the traction control works amazing to provide traction on snow and ice. He encouraged me to wait and try the 22s out before purchasing a set of the 20s for winter. I told him I would very likely still get the 20s for better braking performance on snow and ice as compared to the 22s.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...nfo-pricing-on-20-wheels-with-a-t-tires.8212/

Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Well, thankfully most of us won't be needing tires for a bit, haha. But - good to know there are some choices for the 22's. I'm sure there will be another down the road for the 21's.
They don’t have the right load ratings. When you click into a tire it says the front tires require and XL load rating so the only 22” option on tirerack with that is the factory tire. There is a General tire that has the correct load rating but is not the same speed rating so it doesn’t come up. Everyone with 21” and 22” is basically stuck with the factory pirellis.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
They don’t have the right load ratings. When you click into a tire it says the front tires require and XL load rating so the only 22” option on tirerack with that is the factory tire. There is a General tire that has the correct load rating but is not the same speed rating so it doesn’t come up. Everyone with 21” and 22” is basically stuck with the factory pirellis.
Do you happen to know what that General tire is? The speed rating is fine, but I would probably stick with XL. I think there was another post that said the load rating has to be 115 or something. I also think that Tirerack would be opening themselves up to liability by listing a bunch of tires that don't actually work.

Last edited:

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Curmudgeon
@BigE said he got the 115 load number from Rivian. I quoted it but don't have independent knowledge.

I'm curious about the front-end XL requirement. With the Rivian having both battery weight and motor weight distributed evenly, why a high load rating specifically in the front?

It doesn't really matter, since you're going to rotate the tires so they all need the same rating. I'm just curious.

Sponsored

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
No, actually, I did indeed mean 10/32 as that is specifically how it is listed on the Tire Rack web site. In the US, tread depth is measured and referenced in 32nds even though 5/16 is numerically equivalent to 10/32.

Nothing better to do on a holiday than to reduce fractions?
What do you expect, I’m a retired machinist. 😂🤣😂

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Growing up in the 60's and 70's I was in love with muscle cars. One of the reasons I buy electric is for the powerful acceleration that only an electric motor can provide (but do miss the sound of a powerful ICE), of course I'm going from one stop light to the next as fast as I can and watching the look on all those Porsche owners faces when they get beat by a pickup truck. Wearing out the tires is the cost of doing monkey business;):)🙈🙉🙊
I do this on a daily basis and it’s priceless those reactions!

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Tire Rack says the front requires an “XL” tire so I think 115 load like stock 22” tire. What’s the top speed? 115 mph? I think T or above would work. And yes this severely limits tire choices which I don’t think most realize. On Tire Rack I only see one non OEM 20” and 22” that meet these specs.
R1T speed is capped at 116 mph.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

If you don' rotate, you will likely see significantly less life for 2 of the tires.
i have a question and hope i dont sound dumb for asking....

I understand on a typical ICE why you would have wear faster on two of the tires as there is significantly more weight in the front due to the engine. But on a Rivian, isn't the weight more evenly distributed because the battery is along the bottom? And since there are 4 motors, wouldn't the torque also be evenly distributed?

Again, please don't take this as meaning to be sarcastic at all. It is an honest question from someone who doesn't know and wants to learn.
Sponsored