Sponsored

A rattle in Large Speaker area in front of R1S

R1S_Northeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

About a week ago a rattle started in our R1S (delivered in December). Mostly occurs when going over road bumps but occasionally the slightest road imperfection. It sounds like it’s coming from the large speaker cover in front of the Driver and Passenger (specifically in the area closest to the windshield of the speaker cover). Curious if any other R1S owners had (or has) this issue and if it’s been discovered what was causing it and the fix.

If it continues planning on adding it to the 7,500 mile service visit. I am hoping, if anything, it’s a loose clip holding the speaker cover to the body. Thanks in advance for the info!
Sponsored

Si.LE.R1S

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S Launch Edition, ‘20 eTron Chronos Edition
Clubs

About a week ago a rattle started in our R1S (delivered in December). Mostly occurs when going over road bumps but occasionally the slightest road imperfection. It sounds like it’s coming from the large speaker cover in front of the Driver and Passenger (specifically in the area closest to the windshield of the speaker cover). Curious if any other R1S owners had (or has) this issue and if it’s been discovered what was causing it and the fix.

If it continues planning on adding it to the 7,500 mile service visit. I am hoping, if anything, it’s a loose clip holding the speaker cover to the body. Thanks in advance for the info!
check this post:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...sh-speaker-grill-rattle-details-photos.20478/

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Stop listening to dub step And it will go away.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I had it bad too. Unfortunately I can't give much direction other than I lifted up center grill carefully with a couple of plastic panel removal tools and shoved cloth in many contact areas. Now mine isn't fully engaged in all clips around perimeter but it is alot quieter.

Seems they have alot of weight supported by that grill, alot of contact locations, and alot of push fasteners. All leads to alot of potential for rattles many of have seen with this.

I do understand service has a fix but some have said it comes back.

Temp swings also play a part.

Service center 2 hours away wasn't going to happen for a dash rattle but it was driving me nutz....so I decided to rip things apart.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

We bought the spare tire back in mid-September 2023 and when they delivered it and installed it in the truck, I had the buy look at the rattling we were experiencing with the speakers. He told me it was the adhesive they used. He said to make an appointment with the service center. The soonest appintment I could get was Jan. 9th. I also had them look at some other minor minor things.....was slightly slightly slightly to the right. The other issue was a Rivian service needed since the air compressor for the A/C was overfilled. There was no danger to us and we haven't had issues.

Make an appointment for your Rivian to have it serviced and make sure you check everything else and if anything comes up between your ticket and the appointment, reach out to your service guide.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I put foam tape in the grill area too and it helped a bit but the dash pad itself also rattles against the mounting locations. There is no "glue" holding anything together. It's all push clips with the plastic grill loose against the plastic mounts.

Garzee

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
We bought the spare tire back in mid-September 2023 and when they delivered it and installed it in the truck, I had the buy look at the rattling we were experiencing with the speakers. He told me it was the adhesive they used. He said to make an appointment with the service center. The soonest appintment I could get was Jan. 9th. I also had them look at some other minor minor things.....was slightly slightly slightly to the right. The other issue was a Rivian service needed since the air compressor for the A/C was overfilled. There was no danger to us and we haven't had issues.

Make an appointment for your Rivian to have it serviced and make sure you check everything else and if anything comes up between your ticket and the appointment, reach out to your service guide.
I had the same problem with our speaker grill and found that stopping the vibration cold at the front center (where you can barely get your finger) was the trick. I used some double sticky trim molding foam tape from Auto Zone. If you take off the release liner on both sides, it is tricky to get mashed down under the grill but you can just squeeze it in there and sort of roll it under while holding the grill up with another finger. I never had to remove the grill or anything and it worked great. No noise at all since.
Sponsored