Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Only a Rivian owner would grab a wrench from their toolbox and attempt to correct misaligned panels on their $80k vehicle😄.

Last edited:

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
My new R1S was delivered with a tailgate/liftgate that didn't align well when closed (seemed like it simply wasn't closed all the way). I decided to just try to fix it myself... and surprisingly it was super simple.

The main latch has a decent amount of adjustment in it, so I loosened the three bolts, slide it back a bit, tightened the bolts, and then tested the door. SO MUCH BETTER!

You can also adjust the tailgate position by moving the latches on the left and right that it latches to. I didn't want to mess around too much, just wanted to make the simply/easy adjustments. I am sure you can fix just about any misalignment with the right amount of time. The trim panels over the latches just pulls off to give you access to the bolts.

Yes... I filed a support ticket, but I figured I'd probably spend the right amount of time to get it perfect. Driver side alignment still isn't as perfect as I want it, but it is least looks like the door is closed properly. there is still something a little weird going on near the bottom of the rear window. Might mess with it a bit more when I have some more time.

Before:
1687961007434.jpeg

After:
1687961045264.jpeg

1687961066939.jpeg

The bolts for adjusting the upper door:
1687961093925.jpeg
Great info! How did you get the plastic panel off that covers the latch? Is that just held in by clips that you need to gently pull and that whole piece comes off?

Sponsored

OP
OP
gregtay

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
Great info! How did you get the plastic panel off that covers the latch? Is that just held in by clips that you need to gently pull and that whole piece comes off?
Just clips. I used an interior trim tool to pop it off.

OP
OP
gregtay

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Correct! The way the service center did it was by supporting the door with some plastic stick from the inside of the car. Then they did a variation of overextending the Liftgate upwards (don’t know if I really liked it) and with some form of a rubber mallet and pushing the latch itself.
Thank you! This worked! So easy, loosen the bolts, lift the lift gate (you are really just lifting it enough to slide the lift gate back on the bolts (which moves its position higher)... tighten bolts and done. 2 mins max. Now things are perfectly aligned in all directions.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Only a Rivian owner would grab a wrench from their toolbox and attempt to correct the misaligned panels on their $80k vehicle😄.
This is wait two months for service?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Only a Rivian owner would grab a wrench from their toolbox and attempt to correct the misaligned panels on their $80k vehicle😄.
This is pretty minor stuff (along the lines of my fixing the 2nd row seatbelt that was installed backwards in the seat). I chose to have Rivian fix my liftgate because I wanted to make sure they were aware they have fit and finish problems that are not acceptable... but I also didn't have to wait 2+ months to get in for service (in fact, I had to delay the repair due to my own schedule). Perhaps a wasted effort as this seems to be a problem that they have still not addressed before the vehicles leave the factory. Perhaps if they addressed these issues at the factory, their service centers wouldn't be backed up for months.

OP
OP
gregtay

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

This is pretty minor stuff (along the lines of my fixing the 2nd row seatbelt that was installed backwards in the seat). I chose to have Rivian fix my liftgate because I wanted to make sure they were aware they have fit and finish problems that are not acceptable... but I also didn't have to wait 2+ months to get in for service (in fact, I had to delay the repair due to my own schedule). Perhaps a wasted effort as this seems to be a problem that they have still not addressed before the vehicles leave the factory. Perhaps if they addressed these issues at the factory, their service centers wouldn't be backed up for months.
I think that is just it... clearly the factory isn't even trying to align things and they are just leaving it to the SCs... who really don't have the time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gregtay

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The one thing that would be really nice to know is the factory torque settings on the bolts. I made them "snug" for now, but i'd prefer to have them at spec.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
If you ask service through chat they will give you the torque measurement. Just say that you found one loose and you’d like to tighten it since you have a torque wrench and service won’t give you an appointment for two months.

Worked for me when one of my wiper arms was loose. Emailed me the page off of their procedure.

If they do, can you post back?

Flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, F150 Lightning Platinum
I would say it is likely working. Took delivery of mine today, I must say, alignment was near perfect all around. Paint looked good and interior was great. No issues that I can see at all. So, thanks to everyone that came before me...

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I am going to try this fix today too!

Thank you so much for posting this!!!

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I am going to try this fix today too!

Thank you so much for posting this!!!
I stopped short of trying to pry out the plastic molding not knowing where the clips are and if you have to take the interior portion with the carpet on the tailgate off first (I assume you have to do that first) and then the top plastic come off second.

Any suggestions or comments to my assumptions?
Sponsored