First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I am going to try this fix today too!

Thank you so much for posting this!!!
Looking at your Pic again you don't have to take off the interior carpet piece off first. I will try this again shortly...
Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
Just pull the outer trim starting at the edges with your fingers. It comes out in a backwards movement away from the car.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Thank you jpmc86 and gregtay (OP) for response to my questions for the origina posts!

it worked like a charm!

After the work from the SC that I was not satisfied with, although better than original from the factory.

Rivian R1T R1S Adjusting R1S liftgate / tailgate alignment -- how-to DIY instructions IMG_4531

after this quick DIY:

Rivian R1T R1S Adjusting R1S liftgate / tailgate alignment -- how-to DIY instructions IMG_4838

And the other side is better:
Rivian R1T R1S Adjusting R1S liftgate / tailgate alignment -- how-to DIY instructions IMG_4837

thank you so much!!!

I may play with the hinge later to better align the right side!

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you jpmc86 and gregtay (OP) for response to my questions for the origina posts!

it worked like a charm!

After the work from the SC that I was not satisfied with, although better than original from the factory.

IMG_4531.jpeg

after this quick DIY:

IMG_4838.jpeg

IMG_4837.jpeg

thank you so much!!!

Glad it worked out. I wouldn’t stress it that much as long as you’re 90% happy with it. The lift gates on these cars aren’t stamped right so you’re always accommodating something on one side that then pushes it somewhere else.

That being said my 2023 model S’ Liftgate still has similar issues they did back in 2012 so…

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Agreed and I am well over 95% happy with the DIY results! I decided not to play with the hinge alone as that is probably a two-person job that I would more than likely screw up:CWL: so I will be leaving it as is...

I am disappointed about the SC not being able to do this in the week they had it....what is crazy, is I believe my R1S stayed in the same spot, for about three days when I looked at my location of the Rivian (from the Rivian mobile app) several times since I left it...never moved from the outside parking space. When it moved into the SC building it moved around in different spots.

Again, thanks to both of you for helping me solve the liftgate alignment!!!

This is an awesome vehicle and you helped me take away the one gripe that had the most dissatisfaction I had of the R1S's build quality. :like:

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
gregtay

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab

it worked like a charm!

IMG_4531.jpeg

after this quick DIY:

IMG_4838.jpeg

IMG_4837.jpeg

thank you so much!!!

Looks great!

Robotpedlr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivan R1S
Occupation
Sales
now someone needs do make a YouTube video with the step by step.. especially taking off the cover without breaking clips.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
now someone needs do make a YouTube video with the step by step.. especially taking off the cover without breaking clips.
... and send a copy to all the service centers:CWL:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Sponsored

Flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, F150 Lightning Platinum
I would say it is likely working. Took delivery of mine today, I must say, alignment was near perfect all around. Paint looked good and interior was great. No issues that I can see at all. So, thanks to everyone that came before me...
ok, follow up after almost 30 days. When I picked up my R1S, the alignment was spot on. now, after about 800 miles I am seeing alignment issues on the right side of the hatch. looks like it is shifting. I am wondering if Rivian has a torque issue on the hinge mounts and latch. I have not scheduled a service appointment yet. I will be looking at these DIY steps to see if I can correct it, then Schedule an appointment if necessary.

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Clubs

Thanks for this thread!

Before I go into my liftgate details I'm really posting this to point I found this document from Rivian about alignment tolerances, adjustment points, and torque of the liftgate bolts from a customer satisfaction communication on NHTSA.

It specifically references early 2022 R1S's and a short weather seal on the liftgate - how to adjust if leaking, seal needs replacement, or liftgate is replaced.
However, I expect the torque specs, which bolts to adjust for which gap alignment areas, and even approximately the gap range tolerances would be similar or identical on all of them regardless of this weather seal issue. I'm not sure if you can edit the first post or not OP, but if you could it may be worth linking the PDF document along with your great guidance!

Rivian R1T R1S Adjusting R1S liftgate / tailgate alignment -- how-to DIY instructions Screenshot_20230831_093118_Chrome

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10238720-0001.pdf

My liftgate alignment was pretty rough and the first time the service center told me it was in spec on the upper but adjusted the lower - seemed like they made the upper worse in the progress. I pushed that the alignment wasn't normal with the manager along with some other issues that were not addressed or not to my satisfaction on the first attempt.
They took another attempt at it and made it much better (85-90% perfect). The manager also noted that the liftgate stamping had less than ideal tolerances for those produced up until April 2023 or so (at least into 8xxx VIN or higher) which made it sometimes a trade-off between visual fit and alignment versus function and (at least in my case) significant warping of the roof applique in the area near the hinge points. At the end of the day they found a great balance which I'm much happier with but I will probably mess with it on my own to see if I can't get it a little better like many of us on here probably will :)

Attachments

OP
OP
gregtay

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
Thanks for this thread!

Before I go into my liftgate details I'm really posting this to point I found this document from Rivian about alignment tolerances, adjustment points, and torque of the liftgate bolts from a customer satisfaction communication on NHTSA.

It specifically references early 2022 R1S's and a short weather seal on the liftgate - how to adjust if leaking, seal needs replacement, or liftgate is replaced.
However, I expect the torque specs, which bolts to adjust for which gap alignment areas, and even approximately the gap range tolerances would be similar or identical on all of them regardless of this weather seal issue. I'm not sure if you can edit the first post or not OP, but if you could it may be worth linking the PDF document along with your great guidance!

Screenshot_20230831_093118_Chrome.jpg

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10238720-0001.pdf

My liftgate alignment was pretty rough and the first time the service center told me it was in spec on the upper but adjusted the lower - seemed like they made the upper worse in the progress. I pushed that the alignment wasn't normal with the manager along with some other issues that were not addressed or not to my satisfaction on the first attempt.
They took another attempt at it and made it much better (85-90% perfect). The manager also noted that the liftgate stamping had less than ideal tolerances for those produced up until April 2023 or so (at least into 8xxx VIN or higher) which made it sometimes a trade-off between visual fit and alignment versus function and (at least in my case) significant warping of the roof applique in the area near the hinge points. At the end of the day they found a great balance which I'm much happier with but I will probably mess with it on my own to see if I can't get it a little better like many of us on here probably will :)
Great find! This doc pretty much outlines the procedure I used when I wrote the original post. Great to have detailed diagrams for everyone and the TQ numbers. I find it odd that they only authorize the procedure if there is interference or water leakage.... otherwise Rivian thinks that misalignments are "okay". I guess everyone needs to say "it leaks when it rains really hard".

Shorebreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My liftgate doesn't operate properly when parked downhill. It will unlatch, open an inch, and then fail. It will open with a little bit of assistance, so it isn't broken per se. And it works fine when flat or uphill.

I thought I'd give the solution posted here a try, but there's a molded plastic piece all around the latch, across the entire lip of the tailgate, that integrates with the carpeted interior of the tailgate. Is this a recent addition compared to the ones in this thread?

Does anyone know how to do the simple fix with an R1S with this plastic unit?

I tried scheduling service and got a date of December 21st. hahaahahahah Not only is that three months away, but it's just days before Christmas, so I'm not trying to take that appointment..........

Robotpedlr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivan R1S
Occupation
Sales
If you are talking about the plastic trip on the top lip of the lower portion, it can be removed. It is held on by clips and can be removed by carefully pulling the eager out (the clips are horizontal, so pull towards the rear not up). Be careful after you unclip it as there is a wire connected at the switch. The wire has about 6” of slack if I recall.

If you are describing something different, post pics to clarify
Sponsored