Sponsored

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
My new R1S was delivered with a tailgate/liftgate that didn't align well when closed (seemed like it simply wasn't closed all the way). I decided to just try to fix it myself... and surprisingly it was super simple.

The main latch has a decent amount of adjustment in it, so I loosened the three bolts, slide it back a bit, tightened the bolts, and then tested the door. SO MUCH BETTER!

You can also adjust the tailgate position by moving the latches on the left and right that it latches to. I didn't want to mess around too much, just wanted to make the simply/easy adjustments. I am sure you can fix just about any misalignment with the right amount of time. The trim panels over the latches just pulls off to give you access to the bolts.

Yes... I filed a support ticket, but I figured I'd probably spend the right amount of time to get it perfect. Driver side alignment still isn't as perfect as I want it, but it is least looks like the door is closed properly. there is still something a little weird going on near the bottom of the rear window. Might mess with it a bit more when I have some more time.

Before:
Rivian R1T R1S Adjusting R1S liftgate / tailgate alignment -- how-to DIY instructions 1687961007434

After:
Rivian R1T R1S Adjusting R1S liftgate / tailgate alignment -- how-to DIY instructions 1687961045264

Rivian R1T R1S Adjusting R1S liftgate / tailgate alignment -- how-to DIY instructions 1687961066939

The bolts for adjusting the upper door:
Rivian R1T R1S Adjusting R1S liftgate / tailgate alignment -- how-to DIY instructions 1687961093925
Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
Good info - thanks for making this a thread.

So let me see if I understand correctly. By adjusting the latch actuator towards the back of the car, it pulled the upper lift gate inwards?

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
With regards to the left adjustment needed with the lights, you can move the lift gate upwards by moving the upper hinge towards the front of the car.

Be careful, as when you shut it it might interfere with the radius of the top lid with the roof.

I would obviously close it manually and not automatically to get a better sense of what’s going on. I believe there is an option to disable the assist in the settings.

OP
OP
gregtay

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good info - thanks for making this a thread.

So let me see if I understand correctly. By adjusting the latch actuator towards the back of the car, it pulled the upper lift gate inwards?
yep

OP
OP
gregtay

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
With regards to the left adjustment needed with the lights, you can move the lift gate upwards by moving the upper hinge towards the front of the car.

Be careful, as when you shut it it might interfere with the radius of the top lid with the roof.

I would obviously close it manually and not automatically to get a better sense of what’s going on. I believe there is an option to disable the assist in the settings.
Is that done by loosening the two bolts at the upper liftgate hinge?

Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Is that done by loosening the two bolts at the upper liftgate hinge?
Correct! The way the service center did it was by supporting the door with some plastic stick from the inside of the car. Then they did a variation of overextending the Liftgate upwards (don’t know if I really liked it) and with some form of a rubber mallet and pushing the latch itself.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Do y'all think this technique might fix this? 🤪

Rivian R1T R1S Adjusting R1S liftgate / tailgate alignment -- how-to DIY instructions IMG_9993.JPG

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

My new R1S was delivered with a tailgate/liftgate that didn't align well when closed (seemed like it simply wasn't closed all the way). I decided to just try to fix it myself... and surprisingly it was super simple.

The main latch has a decent amount of adjustment in it, so I loosened the three bolts, slide it back a bit, tightened the bolts, and then tested the door. SO MUCH BETTER!

You can also adjust the tailgate position by moving the latches on the left and right that it latches to. I didn't want to mess around too much, just wanted to make the simply/easy adjustments. I am sure you can fix just about any misalignment with the right amount of time. The trim panels over the latches just pulls off to give you access to the bolts.

Yes... I filed a support ticket, but I figured I'd probably spend the right amount of time to get it perfect. Driver side alignment still isn't as perfect as I want it, but it is least looks like the door is closed properly. there is still something a little weird going on near the bottom of the rear window. Might mess with it a bit more when I have some more time.

Before:
1687961007434.jpeg

After:
1687961045264.jpeg

1687961066939.jpeg

1687961093925.jpeg
That is a great post. Thank you for this information. Probably many of these panel alignment issues can be DIY situations.

We took Factory Delivery of our R1T about two months ago. During the factory tour, we saw Rivian technicians painstakingly measuring panel gaps and making adjustments. Our R1T had perfect panel alignment. I believe that many of the panel misalignment issues are created by the by the bouncing and banging around that the vehicles go through on various trains and trucks as they make their way to delivery points.

Brian

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Before:
1687961007434.jpeg

After:
1687961045264.jpeg

1687961066939.jpeg

1687961093925.jpeg
Nice work!

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Thanks for this.

I would love a similar write-up on how to adjust the bottom of the rear doors. I've always felt like the bottom of both my back doors are inset more than the front. But, no idea how to fix it and it's not enough to ask the SC to work on it.

Anyone? Bueller?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales

Before:
1687961007434.jpeg

After:
1687961045264.jpeg

1687961066939.jpeg

1687961093925.jpeg
Thank you!!! I will attempt this today. Maybe one less item on my ticket for the SC.
My rear window trim was sticking up and I just attached it with some double sided tape for the time being.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Thx for sharing. My R1S is at service center now for several items, this being one of them. If it doesn't come aligned, I will try this myself.
Sponsored