SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Also useful for my winter tire range calculating until they update my diameter. Thanks

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’m so happy they came out with the Standard+ battery and dropped the price to $74,900.

This how we get more Rivians into the hands of consumers.

Rivian all day long over Kia

Rivian R1T R1S All 4 Rivian battery packs usable kWh capacity posted (Standard vs Standard+ vs Large vs Max) IMG_7699
Rivian R1T R1S All 4 Rivian battery packs usable kWh capacity posted (Standard vs Standard+ vs Large vs Max) IMG_7722
Rivian R1T R1S All 4 Rivian battery packs usable kWh capacity posted (Standard vs Standard+ vs Large vs Max) IMG_7700
Rivian R1T R1S All 4 Rivian battery packs usable kWh capacity posted (Standard vs Standard+ vs Large vs Max) IMG_7719

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’m so happy they came out with the Standard+ battery.

This how we get more Rivians into the hands of consumers.
I think it makes a lot of sense for the people who aren't going to use their Rivians for long trips. Rivian has all the data about how much battery their customers are using on a day-to-day basis. I typically don't use more than about 60% of my large pack on a worst case day, even in the winter time. Average day is probably closer to 35%.

Sam K

First Name
Samantha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Attorney
Are the standard and standard+ battery packs software locked with an option to pay later to increase to large pack range?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Are the standard and standard+ battery packs software locked with an option to pay later to increase to large pack range?
If they are, I would not count on Rivian ever offering that if they don't explicitly say it before you purchase.

corndog

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350, Wrangler, C8 Corvette
Occupation
Bum
Whew. That's quite the jump from large to max, 48 miles for 10 grand.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
Just a small difference in terms of usable capacity between the standard+ and the large pack. The standard+ is a fantastic value. Being able to keep it below $80k and with reasonable driving range should help out a lot of people!

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Doing a little math, Rivian estimates the following efficiency:

Max: 2.83 miles per kWh
Large: 2.68 miles per kWh
Standard+: 2.60 miles per kWh
Standard: 2.54 miles per kWh

I’m confused as the smaller the battery, the worse the efficiency gets, and by a pretty significant margin from max to standard.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Doing a little math, Rivian estimates the following efficiency:

Max: 2.83 miles per kWh
Large: 2.68 miles per kWh
Standard+: 2.60 miles per kWh
Standard: 2.54 miles per kWh

I’m confused as the smaller the battery, the worse the efficiency gets, and by a pretty significant margin from max to standard.
Seems to lend credence to theories that the battery capacity might not be the only differences in the vehicles. Should it really cost nearly 20 grand more only for an additional 35kWh?
Rivian R1T R1S All 4 Rivian battery packs usable kWh capacity posted (Standard vs Standard+ vs Large vs Max) 1707495556663
Rivian R1T R1S All 4 Rivian battery packs usable kWh capacity posted (Standard vs Standard+ vs Large vs Max) 1707495564133

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The real question is whether less battery capacity lessens the load on the cooling system such that Rivian will open up the charging curve on them a bit. The Taycan refresh looks to be around 95 kWh usable (yes, 800V) but able to do 300 kW through 65% SoC. Kia is doing 240 kW on their ~70 kWh usable packs. It sure seems it's not a capacity problem, but a cooling problem for Rivian. If the Standard/Standard+ packs could rip 200-225 kW for longer than 15 min (what my Large pack will do), they could actually be a good deal for non-towers.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Seems to lend credence to theories that the battery capacity might not be the only differences in the vehicles. Should it really cost nearly 20 grand more only for an additional 35kWh?
1707495556663.png
1707495564133.png
Yeah, surely there is something…right? Either way, the standard+ battery is a huge win for buyers. If I didn’t love my QM R1T so much, I’d configure a standard+ R1S today.

My last 2 BEVs prior to the T had low 200’s for range and it really just wasn’t sufficient for what I needed. 260-270 was borderline. Having 300+ might be a bit arbitrary, but it’s an important mental milestone for many buyers.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
Yeah, surely there is something…right? Either way, the standard+ battery is a huge win for buyers. If I didn’t love my QM R1T so much, I’d configure a standard+ R1S today.

My last 2 BEVs prior to the T had low 200’s for range and it really just wasn’t sufficient for what I needed. 260-270 was borderline. Having 300+ might be a bit arbitrary, but it’s an important mental milestone for many buyers.
I thought it was already confirmed that the battery pack isn't the only difference when you configure a Max instead of Large? Things like more efficient (and way more expensive) inverters being used when you choose max pack.

Nacho Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Clubs

Is Rivian using LFP batteries for standard pack? Then price will be lower….. but I will never buy an EV with LFP…. EVs with LFP batteries are disastrous because it cannot be recycled and it will have 40-50% range reductions during winter…
Sponsored