Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I thought it was already confirmed that the battery pack isn't the only difference when you configure a Max instead of Large? Things like more efficient (and way more expensive) inverters being used when you choose max pack.
I likely missed the proof that was given here. Either it needs to be said by someone at Rivian, or discovered from a teardown. I'm not interested in a trust-me-bro.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is Rivian using LFP batteries for standard pack? Then price will be lower….. but I will never buy an EV with LFP….
Not yet. All current options are NCM.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
I likely missed the proof that was given here. Either it needs to be said by someone at Rivian, or discovered from a teardown. I'm not interested in a trust-me-bro.
It was mentioned by Munro during a teardown, after a Rivian factory tour. I don't really care enough to go search and timestamp it for you when you come out the gate swinging like that.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

drivetorun

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Seems to lend credence to theories that the battery capacity might not be the only differences in the vehicles. Should it really cost nearly 20 grand more only for an additional 35kWh?
Certainly from a different time, but back when the Model S was first released, it was an extra $20k to go from the 60kWh pack to the 85kWh one (25kWh for $20k).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So.. large pack went down a bit from 135 to 131 kWh?
The original values were always meant to be nominal sizes, not usable. Originally the Large batteries were more like 128 kWh usable but Rivian has opened the usable range up more after further testing.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I thought it was already confirmed that the battery pack isn't the only difference when you configure a Max instead of Large? Things like more efficient (and way more expensive) inverters being used when you choose max pack.
Not confirmed but implied by the EPA City test.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

It was mentioned by Munro during a teardown, after a Rivian factory tour. I don't really care enough to go search and timestamp it for you when you come out the gate swinging like that.
Was not mentioned specifically in the dual motor. Was mentioned as an option for them in case one or the other became parts scarce.

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

What are you using for battery pack costs?
The difference in cost on the website vs. the difference in each incremental battery size.

Edit: Sorry, for pack cost, basic industry knowledge and random guessing from what BYD and Tesla have claimed.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
and it will have 40-50% range reductions during winter…
Sign me up. Only 40-50% loss would be a big improvement over what I am getting in the cold now with my "large" pack.

Im seeing 1mi/KWH or worse in the cold.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Sign me up. Only 40-50% loss would be a big improvement over what I am getting in the cold now with my "large" pack.

Oh? This winter, on my 22 mile round trip daily work commute, I’m averaging over 2 miles / kWh, in metro Denver, typically below freezing, and a few days below zero. And a little better than that on my 600+ mile road trips across Colorado, up and down multiple mountain passes, with average temperatures in the teens (night driving), and some stretches below zero. On new Blizzaks since November; have put 5k miles on them. 20” wheels. R1S. I’ve recorded the details at each RAN in the Plugshare app check ins. I’m so happy with this vehicle. So much better than my Tesla S. Drove through a snowstorm for hours tonight.

Nacho Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Clubs

Make sure you do preconditioning and plugged in overnight before driving in the morning . Then you will see minimal range loss. Rivian does really good job on cold weather unless your are driving in -30 to 50.