First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
New support article. Maybe this will help people decide which pack to get if they really need to know.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-is-the-usable-kwh-capacity-of-your-battery-packs
Do you think that maybe they're just changing out the battery cells to a cheaper lower capacity version for the Standard+ similar to what they did when they went Max, just the other direction? Any guess what cell they might be using to do this?

When I first started hearing about the battery sizes, it made it seem like they might just be depopulating the Large pack, but that would be 15KWh; this is 10 KWh, similar to Max. Also, if this is correct, it seems like once they get LFP going, they'll have 4 different types of packs all with the same number of cells, just different types of cells. Maybe the pack refresh in a couple months will be to allow for the LFP cells in addition to what's already working.
Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Do you think that maybe they're just changing out the battery cells to a cheaper lower capacity version for the Standard+ similar to what they did when they went Max, just the other direction? Any guess what cell they might be using to do this?

When I first started hearing about the battery sizes, it made it seem like they might just be depopulating the Large pack, but that would be 15KWh; this is 10 KWh, similar to Max. Also, if this is correct, it seems like once they get LFP going, they'll have 4 different types of packs all with the same number of cells, just different types of cells. Maybe the pack refresh in a couple months will be to allow for the LFP cells in addition to what's already working.
Sure. Samsung probably said "we cant give you this many, but we got these others laying around, we'll make you a deal".

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
  • Standard: 106 kWh
  • Standard
  • Just to help everyone out here.....

Standard+ is $206 per kWh
    Large is $600 per kWh
    Max is $1000 per kWh

Absolute insanity when you consider pack cost per kWh is around $100.
    Crazy
  • Standard + 15kwh for $3100
  • Large + 10kwh for additional $6000
  • Max + 10kwh for additional $10,000
  • Max = 3x price for 2/3 the additional capacity.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Is Rivian using LFP batteries for standard pack? Then price will be lower….. but I will never buy an EV with LFP…. EVs with LFP batteries are disastrous because it cannot be recycled and it will have 40-50% range reductions during winter…
Where did you get this FUD from?

It's not that LFP *cannot* be recycled, it's that it doesn't make financial sense right now; most battery-recycling companies think it will make sense by the time LFP batteries are starting to *NEED* to be recycled, though.

And 40-50% range drop in winter? Canadian LFP Tesla owners are seeing 25-33% drop, not 40-50%.

Then there's the major advantage that you can charge to 100% daily. So the "daily usable" range can be higher on LFP than on NMC, partly negating the winter range drop. (i.e. let's make believe that the Standard and Large were LFP in the same form factor as more-energy-dense NMC Standard+ and Max. If you followed Rivian's guidance and "daily charge limit" to 70% on NMC, then the LFPs at 100% would give you more "daily driving range" than the NMC.)

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Nice that they have decided to be transparent with this info now. Should definitely help the more informed buyer when looking at all the options.

Sponsored

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Max: 2.83 miles per kWh
Large: 2.68 miles per kWh
Standard+: 2.60 miles per kWh
Standard: 2.54 miles per kWh
Is anyone actually getting close to 2.68 m/kWh with a Large Pack? I'm averaging 2.20 or so, but only ~2000 mi so far, mostly around freezing temps, some snow mode but mostly standard. 21" factory wheels & tires.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is anyone actually getting close to 2.68 m/kWh with a Large Pack? I'm averaging 2.20 or so, but only ~2000 mi so far, mostly around freezing temps, some snow mode but mostly standard. 21" factory wheels & tires.
Speed is the biggest factor but I've seen 3+ for my entire 55 mph commute before if I get stuck behind people doing the speed limit.

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Speed is the biggest factor but I've seen 3+ for my entire 55 mph commute before if I get stuck behind people doing the speed limit.
Both ways? What kind of terrain and temps? My last 200 mi trip (100 each way) was up 2000 ft and back down, avg ~60mph, 2.2x m/kWh, preconditioned on the way out, warm from being in the shop 4 hrs on the way back. I've seen 2.4+ going 60 mi but with a 1000 ft elevation drop and it's back down to 2.2 by the time we get home.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Both ways? What kind of terrain and temps? My last 200 mi trip (100 each way) was up 2000 ft and back down, avg ~60mph, 2.2x m/kWh, preconditioned on the way out, warm from being in the shop 4 hrs on the way back. I've seen 2.4+ going 60 mi but with a 1000 ft elevation drop and it's back down to 2.2 by the time we get home.
Mostly flat, 60-80 degrees F, 22" summer tires. Cold weather is a bitch regardless of EV. Heat pumps do better if it's marginally cold but with seriously cold weather, they don't make much difference.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I can get about that much in the summer going 55-70 in all purpose/standard if there isn’t much elevation change. Add in a few thousand feet up and it’s a different story. I can’t remember the exact difference, but going from 200 feet to like 3500 feet over like 150 miles had a significant effect - much better efficiency on the way back. I don’t recall there being much wind either way. If temps aren’t at least about 70, it’s also significantly worse. That’s just my anecdotal experience though.

Sponsored

AMPRVA

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T Forthcoming
Something doesn't seem quite right with these useable battery estimates. Why would a 7.6% increase in battery capacity (141 Max v 131 Large) result in 14% additional range (400 v 350)?

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Something doesn't seem quite right with these useable battery estimates. Why would a 7.6% increase in battery capacity (141 Max v 131 Large) result in 14% additional range (400 v 350)?
Correction factor is way higher in the EPA results. Could be for a lot of reasons. Current theory is that Rivian is putting more efficient inverters into the max pack vehicles as well. RJ has talked about it being an option in the past but nothing has been officially confirmed from Rivian.

The factors can't just be arbitrary, they have to be verified by the EPA these days.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Correction factor is way higher in the EPA results. Could be for a lot of reasons. Current theory is that Rivian is putting more efficient inverters into the max pack vehicles as well. RJ has talked about it being an option in the past but nothing has been officially confirmed from Rivian.

The factors can't just be arbitrary, they have to be verified by the EPA these days.
Didn't we decide that the increased city mileage made up for the majority of the increase due to the secret addition of the silicon rear inverter?

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Should it really cost nearly 20 grand more only for an additional 35kWh?
No kidding I have been led to believe battery costs go down over time. What started as an additional 45kwh/$7k(135-180) is now 10kwh/$10k(131-141). 6.4X less value.
Certainly not a volume discount.
Standard+ are going to be the hot seller.
If the Standard/Standard+ packs could rip 200-225 kW for longer than 15 min (what my Large pack will do), they could actually be a good deal for non-towers
I tow & would still consider the standard + its only 10miles less than I am currently getting @1m/kwh. . You can do a lot of charging for $16K(vs MP).
Having 300+ might be a bit arbitrary, but it’s an important mental milestone for many buyers.
The standard+ is 315 on 21"wheels. That's a decent amount more than my QM-L on 20"

Last edited:

EvAdventure13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Doing a little math, Rivian estimates the following efficiency:

Max: 2.83 miles per kWh
Large: 2.68 miles per kWh
Standard+: 2.60 miles per kWh
Standard: 2.54 miles per kWh

I’m confused as the smaller the battery, the worse the efficiency gets, and by a pretty significant margin from max to standard.
The standard and standard + range figures are not EPA figures, they are Rivian's own figures. Is it possible to Rivian is being conservative under reporting the range for the two smaller packs to avoid upsetting customers who place orders before EPA figures are released? If we extrapolate the efficiency of the Large pack to the standard it should have a range of 284 miles.
Sponsored