First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue but ever since I got my Rivian and my phone became my key the Rivian App consumes 33% + of my phone battery life each day. has anyone else had this issue?

Rivian R1T R1S Android App and phone battery usage Screenshot_20221201-222016
Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Same.
I've resorted to stopping the Rivian app when I know I won't be needing it for more than a few hours.

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
33% is a lot. I just checked and battery use is 2% for the past 12 hours. I have it set to "Optimized" and I have the BLE notification turned off. Not sure if that makes a difference. Like Arrohoo, I turn it off if I won't be driving for a while.

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
33% is a lot. I just checked and battery use is 2% for the past 12 hours. I have it set to "Optimized" and I have the BLE notification turned off. Not sure if that makes a difference. Like Arrohoo, I turn it off if I won't be driving for a while.

wow I kind of think that manually shutting down the app is not a sustainable long term solution...

AaronTV

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Model 3, 2024 Mustang GT
Occupation
Self Employed
It's bad, yeah. It definitely eats 20-30% of my battery if I let it run all day. It doesn't always show up like that in the battery stats, though. I use a Galaxy S22 Ultra also so it's not some random Android phone.

My solution? I started carrying the fob around with me and no longer allow the app to run unless I absolutely have to. Nicely done, Rivian...

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue but ever since I got my Rivian and my phone became my key the Rivian App consumes 33% + of my phone battery life each day. has anyone else had this issue?
Yep it sucks up battery pretty bad. On the pixel at least it doesn't show as an "app" that's using battery, but if you use other tools you can see the phone basically no longer enters the same sleep state that it would if it's off. Basically costs me 30-40% extra phone battery in a day if I leave it running.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
There is no way to know how big Rivian's current "Android" staff is to address something like this. But as of today, they have 33 job opening with "Android" mentioned. Not all of these jobs would be involved directly with that particular app. Others would. But there is hope that both open issues and new functionality will be addressed.

As an aside; relative to the Rivian current roadmap, there is more insight to be gained by looking at their job postings than in any public announcements.

But it's worth noting that this portal has had just under a 1000 open jobs for the better part of a year. Have many been filled and others added? No easy way to know, but it may not be unreasonable to think that there is some sort of cash management/prioritization going on. Or not.

"Interesting" and fun to speculate in any case. There could be lots of change of direction to the implied roadmap as more hires are made.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Does the PAAK work any better than it used to?
Iā€™m still in the =sO==On= camp so canā€™t test but I just canā€™t imagine bothering with the problematic interface especially considering how much it must contribute to ā€œphantom drainā€ by constantly waking the vehicle by walking by.
Now that fobs are out, wouldnā€™t turning PAAK off erase a lot of the phone battery drain too?

superdavePA

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla Y / '22 R1S / Harley Ultra
Occupation
Engineer
Seeing the massive drain on the iPhone version too. FYI

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Mine is 1% for last 24 hours on my pixel 7.

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Does the PAAK work any better than it used to?
Iā€™m still in the =sO==On= camp so canā€™t test but I just canā€™t imagine bothering with the problematic interface especially considering how much it must contribute to ā€œphantom drainā€ by constantly waking the vehicle by walking by.
Now that fobs are out, wouldnā€™t turning PAAK off erase a lot of the phone battery drain too?
For what it's worth - PAAK actually works really well for me, the problem is it has to leave the phone 'on' to basically work which is annoying. I'm not sure how they would really fix it and keep the proximity PAAK.

If the fob had proximity that would be nice, but also I think the way most cars use the fob probably would keep the battery alive longer (doesn't need to constantly ping, just when the door handle sensor or button is touched.)

AZBruin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Retired

Screenshot_20221201-222016.png
I never bothered to track the data but my phone used to get two days and now has to be charged every day.
Sponsored