Sponsored

Battery Pack Upgradeability?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I remember seeing something about spark charge. Seems like an option for adding maybe up to 50 miles. Good call Smitty. I did read the Airstream article but didn't consider it viable as a means to extend range.
Keep in mind that range will vary depending on what vehicle you have.

50 miles in a Bolt can be achieved with far fewer kWh than a Rivian.

The best Lithium cells on the market have an energy density of 265 Wh/kg. Rivian is estimated to need 450 Wh per mile, so 50 mile range would need 22,500 Wh. 22,500 Wh would weight ~84.9057 kg, or 187.19 lbs.

Certainly possible, but that's a lot of weight to consider "portable".
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Agree to disagree. SparkCharge is already an aftermarket option.
That device is not produced by Rivian. I was speaking specifically about the Rivian patent.
The question would be if Rivian will produce an OEM solution with coolant integration as their patent suggests.
Exactly what I said.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
CommodoreAmiga, That was my thoughts as well I would assume around 50 miles would be the upper limit of portable considering 450wh/m. I'd also assume a large spark charge capable of ~50 range on an R1 would be thousands of dollars as well.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Keep in mind that range will vary depending on what vehicle you have.

50 miles in a Bolt can be achieved with far fewer kWh than a Rivian.

The best Lithium cells on the market have an energy density of 265 Wh/kg. Rivian is estimated to need 450 Wh per mile, so 50 mile range would need 22,500 Wh. 22,500 Wh would weight ~84.9057 kg, or 187.19 lbs.

Certainly possible, but that's a lot of weight to consider "portable".
I looked at the spec sheet for that SparkCharge. One module weighs 65 lbs and provides 3.2KW of energy. That is about 7 miles for the Rivian, you would need 7 of those modules to get 50 miles, or 450 lbs of SparkCharge modules.

The intent of the SparkCharge is for companies like AAA to pile a bunch of modules on a big truck to remotely charge people that are stranded somewhere, i.e. emergency roadside assistance.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I looked at the spec sheet for that SparkCharge. One module weighs 65 lbs and provides 3.2KW of energy. That is about 7 miles for the Rivian, you would need 7 of those modules to get 50 miles, or 450 lbs of SparkCharge modules.

The intent of the SparkCharge is for companies like AAA to pile a bunch of modules on a big truck to remotely charge people that are stranded somewhere, i.e. emergency roadside assistance.
So for $1500 (WAG) you could get 2 modules and ~14 mile range extension. Now I'm back to my original thought that adding supplemental range by way of transporting some type of power source is really not practicable.

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

If 50 additional miles comes in at 200 lbs, ditching the wife and all of her "stuff" would be a wash in weight and probably a much quieter ride! :CWL:

I suppose the ladies of the forum could say the same thing about husbands and possibly children (I know that is redundant).

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
So for $1500 (WAG) you could get 2 modules and ~14 mile range extension. Now I'm back to my original thought that adding supplemental range by way of transporting some type of power source is really not practicable.
Not practical at all, just like solar charging is not practical at all. But many on these forums like to partake in the hopium drug, which is very powerful. Much more powerful than solar or SparkCharge. :CWL:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

If 50 additional miles comes in at 200 lbs, ditching the wife and all of her "stuff" would be a wash in weight and probably a much quieter ride! :CWL:

I suppose the ladies of the forum could say the same thing about husbands and possibly children (I know that is redundant).
“Jeff” (if that’s your real name), I hope that either your wife doesn’t read this forum, or you’re signing in under a fictitious name. I’d hate to hear tales of the first Family Court Judge trying to decide custody of a Rivian.?

Loved your comment!

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

“Jeff” (if that’s your real name), I hope that either your wife doesn’t read this forum, or you’re signing in under a fictitious name. I’d hate to hear tales of the first Family Court Judge trying to decide custody of a Rivian.?

Loved your comment!
That might be why I just placed a second preorder. If she takes everything, at least something good is in the pipeline. If not, I can always cancel it. ?

In actuality, the Mrs might be quite surprised when a Rivian shows up. I’ve shown her pictures, but haven’t mentioned my preorder. ??‍♂

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Loved your comment!
I am sure the Family Court Judge will side with me. Her Z06 should be as equitable as the Rivian. Next would be the dog. Logically, that goes to me too since a dog is happier in a truck (or suv) than in a Corvette. Probably safer too!

Along that same argument, I have to get the R1T. If I order the R1S, she would take the house. RJ really screwed me by stating that the R1S would be a really awesome car camping vehicle.

WOW, this whole EV experience is turning out to be VERY expensive. Maybe I should just cancel both orders, stick with my diesel truck, and not rock the boat!

That eliminates range anxiety. I can drive 500+ miles and refuel in <10 minutes!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That might be why I just placed a second preorder. If she takes everything, at least something good is in the pipeline. If not, I can always cancel it. ?

In actuality, the Mrs might be quite surprised when a Rivian shows up. I’ve shown her pictures, but haven’t mentioned my preorder. ??‍♂
Well, it's been nice knowing you.....

Actually, once she sees it and goes for a ride (or drive?), I'll bet she loves it.

That said, your situation kind of reminds me of the T-shirt that reads "When I die, don't let my wife sell my cars for what I told her I paid for them"

Good luck, "Jeff"!?

Last edited:

Middlefork

First Name
Al & Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
https://www.sparkcharge.io/roadie

I read somewhere on the Sparkcharge site that they only have capability for charging CHAdeMO now but that CCS was coming soon. It looks like the Roadie with a charger and two battery packs may be about 130 lbs. so not too much more than a large generator that would be a really slow charging system.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It looks like the Roadie with a charger and two battery packs may be about 130 lbs. so not too much more than a large generator that would be a really slow charging system.
And it would get you up to 15 miles of range or so and take ~20 minutes.

This product is designed for roadside assistance and other similar applications and not as a range extender. It will be pricey since it contains not only batteries, but the capability to provide both AC and DC charging. Probably $10K+ for the base unit unless the get serious volume going.
Sponsored