Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Kyle showing off Gen 1 R1T with blind spot cameras. Likely got the update early.

I like the red border around the video when there's a car in your blind spot. I'm not a fan of the nav now in a box, looks smaller. Also, maybe it's my imagination, but I don't really Driver+ being able to "see" and render so many cars in front before.
Sponsored

edman007

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CY R1S
Clubs

Also, maybe it's my imagination, but I don't really Driver+ being able to "see" and render so many cars in front before.
I wish I drove with such light traffic, I remember seeing someone post a similar comment a few months ago, so next day I counted, I got up to 12 vehicles rendered, and that wasn't even stop and go traffic. It's got a fairly short sight distances, but if traffic is slow and the cars close, it renders quite a few.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I like the red border around the video when there's a car in your blind spot. I'm not a fan of the nav now in a box, looks smaller. Also, maybe it's my imagination, but I don't really Driver+ being able to "see" and render so many cars in front before.
It's funny cause I mentioned that on his post after sharing it here. I thought that was a fantastic idea by the software team.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Remember RJ’s demo of the screens for the R2/R3 demo? The screens turned red when in camp mode. I would absolutely love that screen color change to be present in this update. Trying to mess with bright screens at night kills your ability to seen in low light. Red screens would be a godsend.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
Remember RJ’s demo of the screens for the R2/R3 demo? The screens turned red when in camp mode. I would absolutely love that screen color change to be present in this update. Trying to mess with bright screens at night kills your ability to seen in low light. Red screens would be a godsend.
This! I hope you can set it to a red mode while driving at night. There is a good reason older BMWs and Audis chose red as the backlight color.

I also wish you could set it to turn OFF the useless backup camera at night (and fully black out the screen) with a quick button tap when in reverse. It often blinds me more than it helps, and the reverse lights are pretty lackluster, so with the bright screen (often displaying nothing useful, or lit up smudges) in my peripheral, it can be very hard to see sufficiently through the mirrors.

Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

This! I hope you can set it to a red mode while driving at night. There is a good reason older BMWs and Audis chose red as the backlight color.

I also wish you could set it to turn OFF the useless backup camera at night (and fully black out the screen) with a quick button tap when in reverse. It often blinds me more than it helps, and the reverse lights are pretty lackluster, so with the bright screen (often displaying nothing useful, or lit up smudges) in my peripheral, it can be very hard to see sufficiently through the mirrors.
That’s a good point about the back up camera. Putting in brighter lights would help a bunch - not turning up the brightness of the image.

I loved the red monochrome dashes of the old BMWs. Having the ability to turn down the dash brightness to match the luminance of a dark highway was a nice touch.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

I do miss the red interior lights on my GTI.

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
I never really understood the point of putting all the renderings of other traffic/people/bikes etc down there. Why do we need to see that?
It can help inform whether you're ready to flick on your blinker. Seeing a car rendered in a blind spot is quite handy.

As for pedestrians, it's mainly there just to build the confidence that the vehicle indeed recognizes them.

Last edited:

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
That’s a good point about the back up camera. Putting in brighter lights would help a bunch - not turning up the brightness of the image.

I loved the red monochrome dashes of the old BMWs. Having the ability to turn down the dash brightness to match the luminance of a dark highway was a nice touch.
Brighter lights would help for sure, but with Gen 1 R1T, the backup camera is often caked in mud/slush/salt/etc. when it’s partially blocked, it just becomes a bright peripheral distraction from the mirrors.

I’ve considered trying to plumb my own backup camera sprayer (just haven’t gotten around to figuring out how to route it through the frame, but hoping to before next winter). This would help a lot with the problem. But even then, the image is pretty poor even when not covered, and for those of us who regularly use mirrors, simply being able to turn the screens off with the touch of a button when mirrors have a clearer view would be cool.

Sponsored

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

It can help inform whether you're ready to flick on your blinker. Seeing a car rendered in a blind spot is quite handy.

As for pedestrians, it's mainly there just to build the confidence that the vehicle indeed recognizes them.
I see your point but personally, based on the false info Ive seen that display, I would never trust it to help inform me anything.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I see your point but personally, based on the false info Ive seen that display, I would never trust it to help inform me anything.
To add to that, my display mostly shows the cars in front of me (i.e. the ones I can already see with my eyes) and doesn't show much in my blind spot or behind me (i.e. where it would actually be useful).

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Unfortunately both the camera view and its brightness are both mandated by federal law, at least to a certain degree. (Some of our cars blow out the brightness on the reverse camera but others don't seem to, so there must be some room for interpretation there)

I do agree with your complaint though; between the blindingly bright but blurry and useless camera view, and the tinted rear glass, I sometimes find myself just putting it into reverse and hoping for the best ;)

Hercules10

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Well after watching the video. I think it is cool. The car is catching up with my old Telluride. Bring it on! I hope the Google maps helps with maps, it does some dumb things...
Sponsored