Bravo Rivian but now R1 is OLD.

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
Bravo on the vision Rivian! I hope you can pull it off.
Very impressive SPECs on R2, and R3s), but they essentially kill the R1 vehicles.
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I mean…not really? It’s not shocking that a smaller and lighter vehicle is faster in its top spec trim, and we know that an R1 refresh is coming. The way RJ phrased the battery discussion it seems like the R1 may eventually use the same batteries.

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Yeah, already waning demand...i wonder if this hurts demand a bit more. Interesting how there weren't any R1 refresh announcements (even if it's the smaller stuff related to the retooling of the line). Maybe even a price decrease?

Sponsored

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
R2/3 don't impact R1.

The Model 3/Y sell like gangbusters but still Model S/X soldier along.

Similarly the BMW 5 series or X5 didn't kill off the 7 series or X7 and the Porsche Macan never killed off the Cayenne. Some people will always want/need the bigger vehicle with all the goodies.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Well, technology wise, yes....R2 and vehicles going forward will have faster chips and more integrated feel than "current" R1 platform. But updated R1 platform should be brought up to speed.

Sponsored

zoro25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Occupation
Tech
Yes the hope is that the refresh takes many of the r2 upgrades and applies them to the R1S platform.

R2 Newer steering wheel
R2/R3 Fold flat front seats
New rivian motors as an upgrade from bosh (with lockers please)
Fold down rear glass
Fixing the non working wireless phone charger
Camp speaker replacement options.

That's my wish list.

gj_washington

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
Yeah, already waning demand...i wonder if this hurts demand a bit more. Interesting how there weren't any R1 refresh announcements (even if it's the smaller stuff related to the retooling of the line). Maybe even a price decrease?
Because this was the "R2 Reveal" event?
Just as Tesla Model 3 did not kill Model S, I don't see R1 going away. I would expect a refresh with some R2 tech at some point but no need to announce now.

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Oh Nooo… They released a new iPhone? Guess it’s time to throw out my old one And wait in line to be the first to buy the new one….

<takes a breath>

Oh yeah, nevermind. I’m just feeling a touch of the FOMO. Everything is FINE. the sky isn't falling, and even if it was, we have a nice panoramic roof to watch it fall. I’m going for a drive.

—0———0–

Last edited:

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Because this was the "R2 Reveal" event?
Just as Tesla Model 3 did not kill Model S, I don't see R1 going away. I would expect a refresh with some R2 tech at some point but no need to announce now.
yes, i obviously understand this was an R2 event, but naturally everything they mentioned, begs the question "will this come to R1", even a post event Press Release would've been helpful. I think the previous poster is bang on - they likely don't want to hurt the chances of someone rodering right now, so until those changes are imminently in production, they won't talk about them

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I feel old sometimes... and then I go to my crossfit gym and smoke a majority of the 20 somethings... Old is only in the mind. #genxFTW
Sponsored