Sponsored

Can we stop asking for CarPlay now? "The next generation of Apple CarPlay will take over all of the screens, sensors and gauges in a car..."

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It'd probably work better than it does now. Big disadvantage now is needing to use both systems to do car functions. Of course if Apple's implementation doesn't actually fully replace every function then it'd probably be even more annoying to use.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I mean reading what I had of this complaint against I was literally laughing out loud.

“For example, if an iPhone user messages a non-iPhone user in Apple messages, the text appears not only as a green bubble, but incorporates limited functionality,” Garland added. “The conversation is not encrypted. Videos are pixelated and grainy, and users cannot edit messages or see typing indicators. As a result, iPhone users perceive rival smartphones as being lower quality because the experience of messaging friends and family who do not own iPhones is worse.”

The DOJ is also focusing on Apple’s smartwatch, Apple Watch, saying the company designed it to only work with iPhones, and not Android devices. The company’s decision means that “users who purchase the Apple Watch face substantial out-of-pocket costs if they do not keep buying iPhones,” according to the complaint.

In this case of Carplay, I think that wording is misleading. I am sure Apple said the next version 'could' do those things not 'will' do those things.

OP
OP
jplblue

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

It'd probably work better than it does now. Big disadvantage now is needing to use both systems to do car functions. Of course if Apple's implementation doesn't actually fully replace every function then it'd probably be even more annoying to use.
Perhaps, but what does Apple gain and what would Rivian have to give up?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I mean reading what I had of this complaint against I was literally laughing out loud.

“For example, if an iPhone user messages a non-iPhone user in Apple messages, the text appears not only as a green bubble, but incorporates limited functionality,” Garland added. “The conversation is not encrypted. Videos are pixelated and grainy, and users cannot edit messages or see typing indicators. As a result, iPhone users perceive rival smartphones as being lower quality because the experience of messaging friends and family who do not own iPhones is worse.”

The DOJ is also focusing on Apple’s smartwatch, Apple Watch, saying the company designed it to only work with iPhones, and not Android devices. The company’s decision means that “users who purchase the Apple Watch face substantial out-of-pocket costs if they do not keep buying iPhones,” according to the complaint.

In this case of Carplay, I think that wording is misleading. I am sure Apple said the next version 'could' do those things not 'will' do those things.
Dark-Fx liked a post

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

jjswan33 is confused
It's one of the stupid things that doesn't translate from an apple phone to others. Just sends messages like that with no clear context.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

Wow. That's insane. That's like saying they should sue Tesla because their chargers won't support multiple charge port locations.....

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It's one of the stupid things that doesn't translate from an apple phone to others. Just sends messages like that with no clear context.
But is it anti-competitive behavior? Is the expectation that Apple has to provide IMessage Apps for every phone manufacturer and also share their encryption protocol?

In my view this was innovation by Apple, before IMessage the only SMS were stupid text messages that cost was set by the phone companies, and were often exorbitant relative to the amount of data they used.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Wow. That's insane. That's like saying they should sue Tesla because their chargers won't support multiple charge port locations.....
That is too specific, we should sue Tesla because they made it easier to charge their cars compared to competitors which gave them an unfair competitive advantage. Even now that their stations are partly open if we want discounted rates we have to go through Tesla, making the charging experience less seamless or more expensive than on a Tesla vehicle. /s

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

But is it anti-competitive behavior? Is the expectation that Apple has to provide IMessage Apps for every phone manufacturer and also share their encryption protocol?

In my view this was innovation by Apple, before IMessage the only SMS were stupid text messages that cost was set by the phone companies, and were often exorbitant relative to the amount of data they used.
To be fair, I think Apple is in the wrong on the messaging front. Apple was clearly in the wrong by refusing to incorporate RCS for long after it was apparent that they should do it and the purpose behind doing so was clearly for anti-competitive reasons. I'm generally in favor of free market dynamics, but that move was just bush league (which is why they finally reversed their decision).

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

It isn't required to take over all screens and car function, just capable. There is a major difference there.

In my I4 CarPlay takes over the center screen for phone, music, text, navigation. If I want I can also have the CarPlay nav in the instrument cluster, but I don't have to do that.

OP
OP
jplblue

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

It isn't required to take over all screens and car function, just capable. There is a major difference there.

In my I4 CarPlay takes over the center screen for phone, music, text, navigation. If I want I can also have the CarPlay nav in the instrument cluster, but I don't have to do that.
I don't think you can rely on how CarPlay works now to contradict what was included in the complaint (which I'd guess is based on statements provided to the DOJ by car manufacturers).

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
what would Rivian have to give up?
The ability to nickel-and-dime us for connected services and other features that are available through our phones and AA/CarPlay.
Sponsored