Charging Slowed to heat. this is a defect

Chance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Government
We went through this with our Ionia 5 and until recently had no issues with the Rivian.
Hyundai eventually did a recall and replaced the sensor at the charging port to fix it in all of their units.

My guess based on having followed this same issue for the Ionia 5 is Rivian will also need to replace the sensor to resolve it.
Sponsored

Swezey

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM LBP 21" Rivian Blue
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

My Riv charges in my driveway and it will slow down to 10, sometimes, in this Texas heat

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
My Rivian charges in the car port at 9kWh year round (only have a 50 amp circuit on it). hot, cold, it doesn't matter, it charges the same 8-9kWh consistently.

If you have to point a fan at the charge port to get it to charge, then there's likely something wrong with the Rivian. As others have said, it's either an issue with the charger or the Rivian. Since the OP says it's not the charger, then open a ticket with Rivian and have them look at it. Take some videos of the behavior so they can look it over with some perspective.

Chance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Government
My Rivian charges in the car port at 9kWh year round (only have a 50 amp circuit on it). hot, cold, it doesn't matter, it charges the same 8-9kWh consistently.

If you have to point a fan at the charge port to get it to charge, then there's likely something wrong with the Rivian. As others have said, it's either an issue with the charger or the Rivian. Since the OP says it's not the charger, then open a ticket with Rivian and have them look at it. Take some videos of the behavior so they can look it over with some perspective.
mine works fine if I only do 40 amps. If I do 48 amps it downrates it significantly after a short period of time. It’s not the charger, it puts out 48amps fine to everything else. When it is not summer it does 48amps on the Rivian just fine (Phoenix in a garage)

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I've had this happen at our 2nd home in the summertime and found that simply turning on a fan on the other side of the garage and pointing it at the passenger's side of the R1T is enough to prevent it from happening. At this home, the Rivian wall charger is is the garage and the garage door is usually closed so there's little air circulation.

At our primary home, the Rivian wall charger is mounted outside at the side of the garage and the R1T sits on the driveway (our 2 car garage already has 2 cars in it) and charges there. I've NEVER had an overheating problem here.

Both chargers are setup for 48A.

Brian

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

i am in North Carolina, I am getting sick of having to point a Fan at the Charging Port on my R1S just so I can charge it at full speed.s this is a defect. I even park my R1S in my garage
Our EV plug is outside 24-7, 365. Here in California we get temperatures from the 30 in the winter to 110+ in the summer. The charger we have (Lectron 32a) was plugged into the outlet 3 years ago and hasn't been unplugged since. It has NOT glitched one time and it gets direct sun from 7:30 am to 3:00 pm.

We also only charge at night time and we average about 16 miles of charger per hour.

FYI.....we use the Lectron 32a for our RAV4 Prime and the R1T.....and both cars are always parked outside.

Chance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Government
Our EV plug is outside 24-7, 365. Here in California we get temperatures from the 30 in the winter to 110+ in the summer. The charger we have (Lectron 32a) was plugged into the outlet 3 years ago and hasn't been unplugged since. It has NOT glitched one time and it gets direct sun from 7:30 am to 3:00 pm.

We also only charge at night time and we average about 16 miles of charger per hour.

FYI.....we use the Lectron 32a for our RAV4 Prime and the R1T.....and both cars are always parked outside.
I think the issue is isolated to 48amp charging.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I think the issue is isolated to 48amp charging.
That is correct. If I tell my R1S to limit charging to 40A, the vehicle does not throttle charging due to thermal issues like ti does at 48A(at least not so far with garage temps around 90 at night when charging - we'll see once those temps exceed 100).

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

My EV Charger has a screen on it.. and let me change the amps I am going to change it down to 32 amps and see what happens. This is a defect though. After to talking with Kyle its the Vendor they used for the Pins in the charging port
I have this issue with mine at 5kW and have seen many other people affected. It does appear to be a problem with the Gen 1 pins.

No problem using my 10 year old EVSE with my Volt at 3kW.

Has anyone had a warranty replacement of the charging socket on their vehicle?

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

Our Mach E does the same thing, will limit the charge to 7kw after a few minutes in hot weather. My Hummer is a 23 model that only supports 11.5kw, but it maintains that speed even when hot. Our Rivian held 48A last night while charging, but I have an evaporator cooler in the garage where I park the trucks.
But it happens in cold and temperate weather too

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
No problem using my 10 year old EVSE with my Volt at 3kW.
Does your Volt (or other non-Rivian vehicle) and old EVSE have the hardware and software to detect a hot plug and scale back on the power?

This is a feature that Rivian turned on in sofware just last year*. And BTW this is something that is required for NACS, so get used to this behavior because you will see it in every vehicle if and when everybody switches to NACS. That's one of the reasons you will see Tesla owners drape a wet cloth on the charger handle at a supercharger - to keep the plug cool so the supercharger won't ramp down in power.

If your plug is getting hot, I would certainly look into the causes of that rather than trying to dissipate the excess heat.

* From the release notes for update 2023.26.0:
  • For AC charging, if the connector becomes too warm, the vehicle automatically lowers the power to safely continue charging, and a message appears on the driver and center displays.
Sponsored

Last edited: