Sponsored

Cracked Windshield Replacement by Safelite and Camera Recalibration?

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
Well, I cracked my windshield due to a flying stone on I-10 in the early days of a two month road trip.
My insurer GEICO quickly arranged replacement by Safelite Auto Glass at a planned stopover, but Safelite advises that the windshield camera may need recalibration. Rivian advises that their Service Centers will not recalibrate the camera unless the windshield has been replaced by one of their authorized third party collision centers, which of course are very far from our planned stopover as well as our home.

I advised Rivian that this was unacceptable, and that they need to make this more convenient for owners. I plan to proceed with Safelite.

Has anyone used Safelite and experienced a need for camera recalibration?
If so, has a Rivian Service Center recalibrated the camera despite this advice? or refused to do so?

Thanks for any constructive advice.
Sponsored

Stevetom84

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I recently had mine replaced. Got it set up through insurance for safelite to replace. They canā€™t do safety system calibrations for Rivianā€™s, so I then contacted Rivian to get that set up. Similar to you, I was told they canā€™t do calibrations for glass replaced by a 3rd party. I only live a few miles from the SC, so I ended up having Rivian replace it.

OP
OP

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Well, I cracked my windshield due to a flying stone on I-10 in the early days of a two month road trip.
My insurer GEICO quickly arranged replacement by Safelite Auto Glass at a planned stopover, but Safelite advises that the windshield camera may need recalibration. Rivian advises that their Service Centers will not recalibrate the camera unless the windshield has been replaced by one of their authorized third party collision centers, which of course are very far from our planned stopover as well as our home.

I advised Rivian that this was unacceptable, and that they need to make this more convenient for owners. I plan to proceed with Safelite.

Has anyone used Safelite and experienced a need for camera recalibration?
If so, has a Rivian Service Center recalibrated the camera despite this advice? or refused to do so?

Thanks for any constructive advice.
Guess Iā€™m now whining, but in this era of auto focusing cameras, from phones to gopros to doorbells, it would seem that a trip to a Service Center to calibrate a camera should be unnecessary.

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

Tesla camera recalibrate on their own. Rivian needs to change this.

jmtreetop

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Has anyone had a 3rd party replace the windshield? Safelite let me book an appointment recently but then cancelled it right before stating that they arenā€™t able to replace Rivian windshields. I then took it to the SC for replacement.

Sponsored

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
I doubt safelite will do it if they canā€™t calibrate the camera. They rip people off daily adding that to everyoneā€™s replacement. If the glass is removed and installed properly, no calibration is needed.

OP
OP

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I doubt safelite will do it if they canā€™t calibrate the camera. They rip people off daily adding that to everyoneā€™s replacement. If the glass is removed and installed properly, no calibration is needed.
Safeliteā€™s appointment system requires acknowledgment that they will not recalibrate the Rivian camera.

Joefly78

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Max
Occupation
Pilot
Does anyone know what is actually done during a calibration? What tools are used? What standards are applied? Is this just profit-padding BS?

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
Rivian really needs to make the repair work and cost cheaper. Even how cute and awesome R2/R3 will be they won't go mainstream if the repair cost is high.

Sponsored

RedCanyon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

Recalibrating the cameras is a real thing... Audi, BMW, etc. all have to have that done and if it isn't the sensors don't work. Just had an Audi come out of the shop an the recalibration wasn't done correctly and hat to go back to Audi to get done. Satellite will eventually get the software to do it... but probably not enough vehicles on the road yet to make it worth the effort.

shicks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Landscaping
Clubs

Does anyone know what is actually done during a calibration? What tools are used? What standards are applied? Is this just profit-padding BS?
It's part of the ADAS system so they consider it critical, but it's just for that stupid camera facing the driver (I'm not sure if it's fully utilized yet).

One company uses Bosch and the other uses Snap-on. The issue is getting the software correct for different hardware. Regardless, if safelite had the software. I think they'd charge close to the same as rivian (ive heard $500 for Tesla)... and you'll end up paying the full deductible bc both companies will exceed $1k.

Rivian just needs to prioritize this bc it's a safety issue not being able to replace your windshield anywhere in the US.

Joefly78

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Max
Occupation
Pilot
Rivian really needs to make the repair work and cost cheaper. Even how cute and awesome R2/R3 will be they won't go mainstream if the repair cost is high.
Right. It's been said, but all of this is heading in the wrong direction and quickly. Pretty soon, maintaining an overly complex car will be on par with the costs of maintaining a small plane. Not tenable for the average person. So what are they going to do when faced with a $1,500 windshield replacement that requires software calibration? Get it done and then skimp on other stuff. Like tire replacements. Pretty soon, the costs of these "safety" features will trickle down to accidents caused by neglecting other maintenance or repairs.

EhrenT

First Name
EHREN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Silverado 2500HD and samauri
Occupation
Audio engineer
Clubs

I was told recently by Safelight, that their techs are in the process of being trained and certified to be able to calibrate Riv windshields, but no indication of how long before that is available.
Sponsored