First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
The other was driven likely on a highway around others at speed with no thought other than "this looks cool" so tell me, which exactly is the publicity stunt?
We have no evidence the overloaded Cybertruck was driven on the highway. And for the purposes of this comparison, it doesn't matter if the contractor was irresponsible or not. In fact, the more irresponsible the contractor was, the more it speaks to the capabilities of the Cybertruck (being able to be loaded and driven like that without breaking).

Getting "real work done" in this case is calling a concrete ready mix truck to place the concrete, rather than mixing a pallet of quickcrete a bag at a time. And in most cases cheaper.
I can tell you've never worked as a contractor. The video shows a jobsite that would require a "pumper" truck to place the concrete. That's in addition to the concrete truck which holds 8-10 yards of concrete. This job required less than 1.5 yards of concrete. A concrete truck and a pumper truck would have cost around $2000, these guys did it for a fraction of that. It wasn't a publicity stunt, they understand the economics well, that's how they make their living.

You just don't want to acknowledge that Cybertruck, with its 2500 lb. payload capacity, will be a real workhorse for contractors around the continent. A publicity stunt is what Munro did with the R1T. I'm speaking the truth, you know it, you just don't want to admit it.
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

We have no evidence the overloaded Cybertruck was driven on the highway. And for the purposes of this comparison, it doesn't matter if the contractor was irresponsible or not. In fact, the more irresponsible the contractor was, the more it speaks to the capabilities of the Cybertruck (being able to be loaded and driven like that without breaking).

I can tell you've never worked as a contractor. The video shows a jobsite that would require a "pumper" truck to place the concrete. That's in addition to the concrete truck which holds 8-10 yards of concrete. This job required less than 1.5 yards of concrete. A concrete truck and a pumper truck would have cost around $2000, these guys did it for a fraction of that. It wasn't a publicity stunt, they understand the economics well, that's how they make their living.

You just don't want to acknowledge that Cybertruck, with its 2500 lb. payload capacity, will be a real workhorse for contractors around the continent. A publicity stunt is what Munro did with the R1T. I'm speaking the truth, you know it, you just don't want to admit it.
Here we go.

I can tell you know f-all about contracting or concrete for that matter. If you're going to wheel concrete bags in pallet+ quantities, from the front driveway to the rear of the house, why not save yourself the BS/some money and call for a ready mix delivery, and wheel fresh concrete to the back yard patio? You're paying your guys to double handle material first loading it back there, then mixing it up to just place it.

Several cities have "yard-at-a time" companies that often are just smaller trucks running from the Heidelberg, LaFarge, Greystone, etc plants themselves. They offer smaller quantities at more reasonable prices. Saves going to home depot, overloading a truck and potentially f-ing it up, to then go back to your clients to mix it ( with a small mixer (giving them credit here) in the back yard.

Why use a pump? If you have the labor already there to move the materials and place it, why the pump?

Concrete and construction have been my livelihood for the last 20 years from my own foundation on my house to 40+ storey highrises between Vancouver and Seattle.

Also, for reference, I called up a local concrete company because I needed 1cu/m (1.3cuyrds) of concrete. Depite it being a small load and paying a premium for it, it cost me 300 Canadian. Typical full load of concrete is 2000 cdn for around 10m3.

Far cheaper than 2k USD. Work smarter, not harder.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Saves going to home depot, overloading a truck and potentially f-ing it up, to then go back to your clients to mix it ( with a small mixer (giving them credit here) in the back yard.
Potentially f-ing up the new Cybertruck? I think that's the point here, they didn't f-up anything, the Cybertruck carried the 5000 lb. load just fine. The Rivian probably would have been totaled (assuming the pallet of concrete would have even fit in the bed). A pallet of hollow concrete blocks? Mostly air!

I notice you are a mountain biker. I have a XL framed Cross-Country 29'er I put under the lockable tonneau cover of the Cybertrucks huge bed (it will hold at least 2). And that's without so much as taking a tire off or pulling a wrench out of the toolkit.

How do you transport your MTB bikes in the Rivian?

Sponsored

richpike

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover D5, Jeep JL, R1S
Potentially f-ing up the new Cybertruck? I think that's the point here, they didn't f-up anything, the Cybertruck carried the 5000 lb. load just fine. The Rivian probably would have been totaled (assuming the pallet of concrete would have even fit in the bed). A pallet of hollow concrete blocks? Mostly air!

I notice you are a mountain biker. I have a XL framed Cross-Country 29'er I put under the lockable tonneau cover of the Cybertrucks huge bed (it will hold at least 2). And that's without so much as taking a tire off or pulling a wrench out of the toolkit.

How do you transport your spare tire? And I always laugh at people who just throw mountain bikes in the back of their truck. Nothing like a $10k bike sliding around in the bed of a truck…

-Rich

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You are missing the point of the vehicle being clearly overloaded. Just because manufacturers build in a safety margin, doesn't mean one should ignore the ratings. And unless you own the truck and had it checked over after, then where's your evidence? If you want to overload the vehicle, that's your business, just keep it away from others.

It's cool it was able to do it in the video, wonderful. But beyond that, it's irresponsible.

Is that with or without the spare tire in the bed? 😏
Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Laugh of the Day Screenshot_20240623_151350_Chrome

Just to set the record straight for me, I like that the cybertruck can exist, I like things about, while disliking others. Same goes for my R1T, things I like, things that can be improved.

How do I transport bikes? Same as any other truck. Typically 2-4 bikes. I also have a kuat hitch mount rack, if we need the bed for something else, but so far, haven't needed it since I got the pad.
Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Laugh of the Day 20231014_163943
Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Laugh of the Day 20231002_124043

It would be sweet if I could dump them under a tonneau without taking them apart, but if we're not driving to or from a place, we're riding them, so that use case doesn't really matter.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
There's a lot of continued trolling and misinformation being presented here by a particular individual:

- The weight on the truck was more like 4300 lbs. not 5000 lbs. That's based on the number of bags per pallet as specified by the Sacrete company - they state there are 35 ninety lb bags per pallet or 3150 lbs. This video shows a factory wrapped pallet, plus 2 pattern equivalent layers of bags added on top = 1080 lbs. Nice exageration by almost 20%.

- Having done four recent concrete projects myself with me, my business partners and an employee doing ALL the physical labor at one of our small businesses we were building out, I know from experience this is not how a job like this is done cost effectively or with quality in mind. As others stated, the cost effective way to do the job, in terms of time and materials, is to call a "Ready Mix" company where they mix exactly what you need and schedule delivery, sometimes with multiple jobs mixed on the truck so they can optimize their deliveries. You have a delivery time and they allocate a specific maximum time to unload. If you go over, you pay big time because you are messing up their next delivery. Based on the bag count, this was roughly 1.25 cu yd.

- It's clear someone does not know anything about concrete work when they say this job requires a pump truck for a site like this. That's pure and complete bullshit. The mix truck fills wheel barrows and you roll it to the pour location. I've personally moved 40 - 50 wheel barrows myself on the projects we have done.

- For a project this size, mixing bags can be done but runs the risk of inconsistent mixing and therefore poor curing/integrity of the concrete. None of the contractors I know would do a job this size with bags.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
You are missing the point of the vehicle being clearly overloaded. Just because manufacturers build in a safety margin, doesn't mean one should ignore the ratings. And unless you own the truck and had it checked over after, then where's your evidence? If you want to overload the vehicle, that's your business, just keep it away from others.

It's cool it was able to do it in the video, wonderful. But beyond that, it's irresponsible.

Is that with or without the spare tire in the bed? 😏
Screenshot_20240623_151350_Chrome.jpg

Just to set the record straight for me, I like that the cybertruck can exist, I like things about, while disliking others. Same goes for my R1T, things I like, things that can be improved.

How do I transport bikes? Same as any other truck. Typically 2-4 bikes. I also have a kuat hitch mount rack, if we need the bed for something else, but so far, haven't needed it since I got the pad.
20231014_163943.jpg
20231002_124043.jpg

It would be sweet if I could dump them under a tonneau without taking them apart, but if we're not driving to or from a place, we're riding them, so that use case doesn't really matter.
I like to be able to stop at a cafe or brewpub after a ride and not worry about the bikes. Even a cable lock doesn't deter a pro bike thief, once he's laid eyes on the $10,000 bikes.

Spare tires are outdated with fast compressors and effective plugging kits. There's a reason Rivian doesn't include them as standard equipment, a bed mounted wheel and jacking equipment really limits your payload capacity and has a measurable impact on efficiency/range. I've only been plugging tires for 22 years, but all the flat tires I've had in over 45 years of being a motorist have been emergency pluggable (if only I knew how back then I wouldn't have had to haul an extra wheel around with me). It's a lot quicker and more convenient to push a plug in there with the tire still mounted, and air up and go, than it is to jack the vehicle and change it out, especially if your spare and jack is packed under the middle of the bed and you have a heavy load in there.

Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
There's a lot of continued trolling and misinformation being presented here by a particular individual:

- The weight on the truck was more like 4300 lbs. not 5000 lbs. That's based on the number of bags per pallet as specified by the Sacrete company - they state there are 35 ninety lb bags per pallet or 3150 lbs. This video shows a factory wrapped pallet, plus 2 pattern equivalent layers of bags added on top = 1080 lbs. Nice exageration by almost 20%.
There are seven bags per layer. Two more layers would be 14 bags x 90 lbs. = 1,260 additional lbs. for a total of 4,410 lbs. of concrete. I got around 600 more lbs. for the driver, the camera man at Home Depot, the pallet, the lumber on the rack, and the heavy aluminum rack (racks and other accessories must be counted as payload). And that's if he didn't have any tools or other equipment in there. If anything, my 5,000 lb. estimate is conservative.

It's clear someone does not know anything about concrete work when they say this job requires a pump truck for a site like this. That's pure and complete bullshit. The mix truck fills wheel barrows and you roll it to the pour location. I've personally moved 40 - 50 wheel barrows myself on the projects we have done.
You could do it anyway you like. Keep in mind these guys spoke Spanish and probably learned their concrete skills in Mexico. In my travels through Mexico, I am always amazed at the skill they display on small jobs. They are really good at hand mixing a really strong, dry mix. In the US contractors tend to specify a mix with excessive slump because it's easier to place.

For a project this size, mixing bags can be done but runs the risk of inconsistent mixing and therefore poor curing/integrity of the concrete. None of the contractors I know would do a job this size with bags.
That's fine, I would take the job done by people who honed their skills in Mexico and who are not afraid of a little extra labor mixing by hand. But you are way off topic here, the subject is the Cybertruck with over 5,000 lbs. of payload. Maybe you don't know that people and accessory racks count as payload? Because you didn't include them in your (incorrect) weight estimation. Any truck that can ride level and not fail with over 5,000 lbs. in it is worthy of being called a work truck. People who think it can't do real work because it looks "funny" are making a poor judgement. And whether it was irresponsible or not is the point here. Sure, you shouldn't overload a truck, and especially not by that much. But I'm glad there are people willing to show just how much safety margin there is in the official numbers.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
There are seven bags per layer. Two more layers would be 14 bags x 90 lbs. = 1,260 additional lbs. for a total of 4,410 lbs. of concrete. I got around 600 more lbs. for the driver, the camera man at Home Depot, the pallet, the lumber on the rack, and the heavy aluminum rack (racks and other accessories must be counted as payload). And that's if he didn't have any tools or other equipment in there. If anything, my 5,000 lb. estimate is conservative.

You could do it anyway you like. Keep in mind these guys spoke Spanish and probably learned their concrete skills in Mexico. In my travels through Mexico, I am always amazed at the skill they display on small jobs. They are really good at hand mixing a really strong, dry mix. In the US contractors tend to specify a mix with excessive slump because it's easier to place.

That's fine, I would take the job done by people who honed their skills in Mexico and who are not afraid of a little extra labor mixing by hand. But you are way off topic here, the subject is the Cybertruck with over 5,000 lbs. of payload. Maybe you don't know that people and accessory racks count as payload? Because you didn't include them in your (incorrect) weight estimation. Any truck that can ride level and not fail with over 5,000 lbs. in it is worthy of being called a work truck. People who think it can't do real work because it looks "funny" are making a poor judgement. And whether it was irresponsible or not is the point here. Sure, you shouldn't overload a truck, and especially not by that much. But I'm glad there are people willing to show just how much safety margin there is in the official numbers.
You are correct that I did not add the weight of an aluminum rack which is 75 - 85 lbs. or the driver (150) or pallet (40). So that's at best an additional 300 lbs.

Discussing the concrete project is not off topic - WTF does the video show - a concrete project, duh.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I like to be able to stop at a cafe or brewpub after a ride and not worry about the bikes. Even a cable lock doesn't deter a pro bike thief, once he's laid eyes on the $10,000 bikes.

Spare tires are outdated with fast compressors and effective plugging kits. There's a reason Rivian doesn't include them as standard equipment, a bed mounted wheel and jacking equipment really limits your payload capacity and has a measurable impact on efficiency/range. I've only been plugging tires for 22 years, but all the flat tires I've had in over 45 years of being a motorist have been emergency pluggable (if only I knew how back then I wouldn't have had to haul an extra wheel around with me). It's a lot quicker and more convenient to push a plug in there with the tire still mounted, and air up and go, than it is to jack the vehicle and change it out, especially if your spare and jack is packed under the middle of the bed and you have a heavy load in there.
That's why I don't leave my bikes unattended, I've had three stolen and managed to recover 2 both of which are in the photo (blue and orange) but had to buy several new components as a result of them being parted off. Lessons learned slowly because I'm stubborn. If we decide to pop into a brewpub after, we sit where we can see the bikes otherwise it's a no go. Good that the vault provides you the option without worry.

I carry tire plug kits with me in conjunction with the Rivian flat repair kit, and a full sized spare with jacking kit. I off-road often, and while yes some punctures can be easily patched, pumped up and carry on, the second a sidewall blows out, your only recourse is to swap it off. Being out in the wilderness is not a place to be with no backup, that said, can't be ready for every eventuality, but can do what's reasonable.

Also, Rivian includes a spare where mandated by local laws, and is also a part of the offroad package for good reason. Before I had the spare delivered, I stored a tent and several bits of gear in the underbed storage, now they hang out either in my gear tunnel with maxtrax, or under the frunk subfloor.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Also, Rivian includes a spare where mandated by local laws, and is also a part of the offroad package for good reason. Before I had the spare delivered, I stored a tent and several bits of gear in the underbed storage, now they hang out either in my gear tunnel with maxtrax, or under the frunk subfloor.
I didn't know there were still archaic laws requiring new cars be sold with a spare tire! Do these laws also require the cars to be equipped with an emergency hand-crank starter?