Sponsored

Bob76

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes ML350, Subaru Outback, R1S
I'd love to do the same but I would bet it would push you back. Stinks you can't add it on after the purchase. I only want it to cutdown on the road noise and offroad protection.
I had removed mine in early January and it pushed me back 6 - 11 months so I added it back today lol. Can't get much worse than 6/2024 given they'll be ramping up capacity to the point where being 10k cars ahead or behind won't matter much.
Sponsored

Bob76

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes ML350, Subaru Outback, R1S
It does. They aren't buying turnkey facilities, they've opted for existing buildings and retrofits. Could be a price issue or availability, I'm not sure. First is the search for a good lease or purchase, then contract negotiations on renovations, actual construction takes a long time, now bring in all the Rivian equipment... Start to finish, minimum 12 months. I don't think we'll see South Sound until mid-late 2024.

Rome wasn't built in a day!🇻🇦👷🏼‍♂️🏗🏰
and train local service staff so they know what they're doing...

marvelchandra

First Name
Chandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ACURA RDX 2009; Audi A6
Occupation
Talent Advisor
Clubs

So like... Where are they? 😁

Has anyone received an updated estimate?
Mine is updated to Jan-Jun 2024 from Oct-Dec 2023
This is really frustrating :( and didn't expect it from #rivian. When you trust companies like this and want to be loyal,, not switch the gear this is what we can expect. I think I am planning to move to another car company who's reliable and can deliver.

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Does it take 18 more months to open a second service center in Western WA? It shouldn't. So why are eastern WA estimated delivery dates out 18 to 24 months?
You speaking from experience in starting up a new facility…. Or out of frustration?
It’s a reasonable amount of time given today‘s business climate. Permitting can easily take 3-6 months, contractors won’t schedule until you have all permits, and then need a month or more to get crews available. Six months goes by before the first hammer is picked up. I guarantee nobody in government or private industry is sitting there idle, just waiting for Rivian to say “Drop everything because we are RIVIAN! Let’s Go!”

Mcalc55

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
This is SO FRUSTRATING!!!

There are a bunch of R1Ts driving around here (in NC) and yet, I keep getting the same old nonsense ..." ...As we continue planning the roll out of a Rivian Service Center in your area, we need more time to understand when that site will be ready to support your vehicle's delivery and ongoing service needs. For now, we're leaving your Account Page set to "Processing estimate" and plan to update your account with delivery timing during our next scheduled refresh in April... "

Based on Rivian's Sales and Service Centers implementation schedule, there are no Service Centers planned for NC (or "nearby") in the near future (i.e. nothing "In the works" as they put it).

I ordered my R1S in mid 2021, almost a full year before my Lucid (ordered in May 2022 and delivered in Sep 2022) and my Fisker (ordered in Apr. 2022 and entering production in Mar. 2023 - probably be here my mid year) .. both of which have had no issue w/ delivering to NC (despite neither having a SC in my town).

At this point, I'm ready to tell my wife that she's likely not getting the Rivian anytime soon and that we may have to look for a Plan B for her.
:angry:
Until the change legislation in NC it’s not likely to change. I wouldn’t blame Rivian as much as our state government blocking them

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

You speaking from experience in starting up a new facility…. Or out of frustration?
It’s a reasonable amount of time given today‘s business climate. Permitting can easily take 3-6 months, contractors won’t schedule until you have all permits, and then need a month or more to get crews available. Six months goes by before the first hammer is picked up. I guarantee nobody in government or private industry is sitting there idle, just waiting for Rivian to say “Drop everything because we are RIVIAN! Let’s Go!”
They should have already determined a location before it went in the map late last year. I would expect them to use an existing facility that needs some retrofitting but they have planned for over 40 SCs since 2021 so they should be able to get this done. It would also help if they could align and build vehicles better at the factory or catch issues (or empower their staff to stop the line to fix things) so the SCs are not as overwhelmed with what is currently only 20000 R1 vehicles out there in the wild.

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
Excellent observation. Productive comment. Best plan is to hold onto your reservation and deny them that revenue as long as possible rather than just canceling and letting it go to someone else. You really know how to stick it to them!
Thanks dad. You know what you can do with your comment…

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Rivian cannot sell vehicles they cannot service. The reputation would get out fast that their service network is too small. That will deter future buyers and put the company at risk. Instead, management made a decision that pissing off some pre-order customers is a necessary evil. Maybe they should have only allowed reservations to a limited area of the country, do that right, then expand state by state.

Yes, their pre-orders would have been lesser, but there would be less upset devotees.

FWIW, i'm a Florida resident and some folks who order today in other states will get theirs before my 11/21 pre-order arrives. I need to change my mindset or I will get grumpy.

Rivian R1T R1S Delivery Estimate Updates Are Out! ⏱️ [as of Jan 31, 2022] 1675253306644

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
They should have already determined a location before it went in the map late last year. I would expect them to use an existing facility that needs some retrofitting but they have planned for over 40 SCs since 2021 so they should be able to get this done. It would also help if they could align and build vehicles better at the factory or catch issues (or empower their staff to stop the line to fix things) so the SCs are not as overwhelmed with what is currently only 20000 R1 vehicles out there in the wild.
I agree with your sentiment, but disagree with your over simplification of the execution. So many factors come into play when retrofitting an existing facility. Unless you have done this, you have no idea of the challenges that can be involved in retrofitting a facility. Ready to use empty large. auto service facilities with lots of parking are not a dime a dozen, so Rivian likely has to convert facilities. It seems simple to buy or lease an existing warehouse. I’ve been down this road in my work. A month or two of planning and design. Submit drawings to 1, 2, 3, …., n regulatory/approval bodies that meet once a month and will reject plans the first time just because they can. Zoning and codes must be addressed. Auto service facilities and the like are typically zoning restricted, so a zoning variance may be needed to convert from a prior use. Hearings are held, neighbors complain, etc all delaying the process. Then in most municipalities, a change of primary use requires you to bring the building up to current codes, which may require extensive work for a 40 year old building. This isn’t as efficient as DR Horton slapping up 80;000 houses a year.

Rivian could have planned better, but doing this 40x in under two years is no simple task.

Sponsored

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Ford F-350
Occupation
retired
As expected: (from rivian)
We previously told you that you could expect your delivery window estimate this January. As we continue planning the roll out of a Rivian Service Center in your area, we need more time to understand when that site will be ready to support your vehicle's delivery and ongoing service needs. For now, we're leaving your Account Page set to "Processing estimate" and plan to update your account with delivery timing during our next scheduled refresh in April.

While we know this is not the news you were hoping to hear, we are working hard to provide Rivian owners with a complete ownership experience. Vehicle support infrastructure is key to providing the level of service owners deserve. Our team will continue to explore ways to expedite the development of this infrastructure in order to get your R1S to you sooner.

As a reminder, your current estimate is based on your configuration as of January 15, 2023.

My faith in the ability of rivian to deliver is rapidly approaching zero​
Please visit the Support Center for more on delivery timing estimates, or feel free to reach out. Thank you for your patience. We look forward to providing more information as soon as we can.​

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
Maybe you should look for a different vehicle.
Done. Reservation closed. Enjoy your unreliable, phantom battery draining Chinese parts-mobile. They should change the label on these to “assembled in US*” *with Chinese parts, engineered by tech bros.

Last edited:

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Done. Reservation closed. Enjoyed your unreliable, phantom battery draining Chinese parts-mobile. They should change the label on these to “assembled in US*” *with Chinese parts, engineered by tech bros.
You really know how to light up a room.

RivianNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air
Until the change legislation in NC it’s not likely to change. I wouldn’t blame Rivian as much as our state government blocking them
Not sure I agree with Rivian being blameless. Both Lucid Motors and Fisker Inc are also new/startup EVs with direct-to-consumer business models, and they are both able to sell (and, at least w/ Lucid so far), deliver me a vehicle. [Note: Rivian's current service centers are closer to me than the nearest Lucid Service Centers]

Also, Rivian has already delivered a number of R1Ts to folks in NC, so those folks were somehow able to get their vehicles (and, presumably, are able to have them serviced).

Lastly, and, more importantly, NC (and many other states that have similar laws on the books) didn't change anything since I first put my money down on my Rivian R1S almost 2 years ago. To the contrary, the only times they've communicated to me about deliveries (prior to Oct. 22), they encouraged me to upgrade my trim/selections (which I did) and they never mentioned their "inability" to deliver in NC, but rather gave me false hopes (the latest being in Apr. 22 when they said I could expect delivery in the first half of this year).

So, although I wish NC (and 9 or 10 other states) would amend their laws, Rivian is far from blameless.

Mcalc55

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Not sure I agree with Rivian being blameless. Both Lucid Motors and Fisker Inc are also new/startup EVs with direct-to-consumer business models, and they are both able to sell (and, at least w/ Lucid so far), deliver me a vehicle. [Note: Rivian's current service centers are closer to me than the nearest Lucid Service Centers]

Also, Rivian has already delivered a number of R1Ts to folks in NC, so those folks were somehow able to get their vehicles (and, presumably, are able to have them serviced).

Lastly, and, more importantly, NC (and many other states that have similar laws on the books) didn't change anything since I first put my money down on my Rivian R1S almost 2 years ago. To the contrary, the only times they've communicated to me about deliveries (prior to Oct. 22), they encouraged me to upgrade my trim/selections (which I did) and they never mentioned their "inability" to deliver in NC, but rather gave me false hopes (the latest being in Apr. 22 when they said I could expect delivery in the first half of this year).

So, although I wish NC (and 9 or 10 other states) would amend their laws, Rivian is far from blameless.
Ok that’s a fair point. I wish they would be more transparent about servicing. If that’s the issue what workarounds exist. Would we have to pay for towing, etc
Sponsored