Sponsored

Diminished real range 14 months in

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I have about 9k miles on my R1T after the 14 months I've owned it. Mostly local driving on 20" AT. Have always had the latest updates.
It's been charged to 100% a dozen times but most other times to 70 or 80. I only charge about once every 10 days or so.
Every single one of my charges has been on my 48A home charger. I never charge outside the house.
My range estimate shows ~309 miles in conserve but my real world is lower than that by a lot as it turns out.

I did an all-highway drive in conserve mode from Irvine to Escondido and back through Temecula with a few other detours in light traffic at 65F the other day and ran the car from 100% to 0% and only got 229 miles of range. That included some city driving but most (200+) highway miles. The drive in question has a few moderate climbs but I was expecting to get closer to 270 miles out of it. I literally let the car hit zero but doing a few turns around the neighborhood at the end before charging. I also had my AC at 72 the whole way but it wasn't doing much of a struggle to keep it steady.

Has anyone else with 1yr+ ownership seen diminished range numbers like this?
I have a service appointment scheduled to check the health of the battery next week and will update everyone here.

On the plus side, the highway assist feature seems to work a lot better than it did a year ago.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Is this like that explanation I had to tell a guy how putting a small wind turbine on the roof won't actually result in a farther range?
No more like Rivian changed their algo and made more of the battery available for use in the time I owned it.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I've had mine since Sept, 12K miles and it has gone up if anything in range.
Are you referring to your actual tested range or your range estimate given by the car?
Because my range estimate is fine (309 to 314) usually.
But the real world number of 229 is what I did an actual test with. Have you tried to go from 100% to 0% lately? How many actual miles did you get?

I actually have a feeling the real problem is how my range is calculated and not so much the battery health. It's possible mine just needs a reset.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Are you referring to your actual tested range or your range estimate given by the car?
Because my range estimate is fine (309 to 314) usually.
But the real world number of 229 is what I did an actual test with. Have you tried to go from 100% to 0% lately? How many actual miles did you get?

I actually have a feeling the real problem is how my range is calculated and not so much the battery health. It's possible mine just needs a reset.
I don’t use the guess o meter I use the percentage and calculate that based on what energy I put in while charging.

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
15 months here. 28,400 miles. 20" AT. I've charges to 100% probably 30+ times. Fast charged probably 25+ times. I just drove 298 miles (with 4% left when arriving at charger )at highway speeds (70 mph+) 3 weeks ago.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I have about 9k miles on my R1T after the 14 months I've owned it. Mostly local driving on 20" AT. Have always had the latest updates.
It's been charged to 100% a dozen times but most other times to 70 or 80. I only charge about once every 10 days or so.
Every single one of my charges has been on my 48A home charger. I never charge outside the house.
My range estimate shows ~309 miles in conserve but my real world is lower than that by a lot as it turns out.

I did an all-highway drive in conserve mode from Irvine to Escondido and back through Temecula with a few other detours in light traffic at 65F the other day and ran the car from 100% to 0% and only got 229 miles of range. That included some city driving but most (200+) highway miles. The drive in question has a few moderate climbs but I was expecting to get closer to 270 miles out of it. I literally let the car hit zero but doing a few turns around the neighborhood at the end before charging. I also had my AC at 72 the whole way but it wasn't doing much of a struggle to keep it steady.

I have a service appointment scheduled to check the health of the battery next week and will update everyone here.

On the plus side, the highway assist feature seems to work a lot better than it did a year ago.
What was your hwy speed? I can easily get 250 @ 75mph. and closer to 300 if I keep it 65-70

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
No more like Rivian changed their algo and made more of the battery available for use in the time I owned it.
That added detail helps. Without it I thought you maybe thought the batteries were breaking in or something....

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm a bit confused because of the diminished real world range.

Did you do this 100% to 0% test when you got the vehicle?

In my experience with my R1T I'm generally happy with the real world range during the late spring and summer and unhappy with it during the fall/winter. The cold, and the rain just wreck havoc.

It would help considerably if Rivian had a better trip meter where it displayed the average usage over the last 30 miles (not 15min), and if the rated range for the current mode clearly showed. It simply shows roughly 2mi/kWh regardless of which mode its in.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

IIRC battery degradation is more about cycles rather age, especially at 1 year. I've had mine for 8 months, 9000 miles and I just did a 600 mile trip. On 21s this time and I got ~320 miles before I stopped to charge. Oddly enough almost identical to the mileage I got on 22s. Highway speeds between 70-85mph.

I charge mostly at home but use EA chargers when I'm on the road. I usually charge to 85% before the latest update. With the latest update I charge to 75%. When I'm on the road I charge to 100% the night before, and I always charge to 100% while I'm at my destination (Usually L2), and when I DCFC I usually stop charging around 70-80%. I base that on charge rate rather than %. If my charge rate drops below 120kW, I hit the road.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 M3P, 2021 Audi SQ5
Occupation
CISO
Clubs

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Did you track how much energy the truck said you used over that 100% down to ~0% drive? Without out that, it's really hard to come to any real conclusion.

Throw in some range and if you were driving say... 80 a lot and had some hills I can totally see you getting 230 miles with even a nearly new battery.

What ride height was it in? What pressure were your tires at?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
That added detail helps. Without it I thought you maybe thought the batteries were breaking in or something....
Yeah I figured that's what you thought by your sarcastic remark on my comment.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yeah I figured that's what you thought by your sarcastic remark on my comment.
Exactly! But it is true that I actually did have to explain to a guy at a gas station that putting a small wind turbine on the roof, won't add range to the truck.
Sponsored