trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

... How low?
Closer to 45 all around. I recall setting them to 49 but that may have been on a hot day and after they were driven …
Sponsored

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
I'm curious if your full-to-empty test trip included hvac. Vehicle range estimation doesn't have weather knowledge, and cooling the interior is ~15% of the energy use at peak.

Elevation change + hvac could be part of what you're seeing.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I'm curious if your full-to-empty test trip included hvac. Vehicle range estimation doesn't have weather knowledge, and cooling the interior is ~15% of the energy use at peak.

Elevation change + hvac could be part of what you're seeing.
It’s already posted above, weather was mild around 65F and the car was kept at 72F.
the mystery is solved though, I believe it was mostly due to low tire pressure.

Reactions: k3g

Adamn

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 1991 Barefoot Sanger (boat)
That still seems low with the tire pressure only being a few psi low. My last road trip was in December (0-20 degrees) with winter tires going 65-80mph most of the drive. Didn't check the distance to percentage but based on the 1.73mi/kwh I averaged that would have been about the same range you got in better conditions.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I have about 9k miles on my R1T after the 14 months I've owned it. Mostly local driving on 20" AT. Have always had the latest updates.
It's been charged to 100% a dozen times but most other times to 70 or 80. I only charge about once every 10 days or so.
Every single one of my charges has been on my 48A home charger. I never charge outside the house.
My range estimate shows ~309 miles in conserve but my real world is lower than that by a lot as it turns out.

I did an all-highway drive in conserve mode from Irvine to Escondido and back through Temecula with a few other detours in light traffic at 65F the other day and ran the car from 100% to 0% and only got 229 miles of range. That included some city driving but most (200+) highway miles. The drive in question has a few moderate climbs but I was expecting to get closer to 270 miles out of it. I literally let the car hit zero but doing a few turns around the neighborhood at the end before charging. I also had my AC at 72 the whole way but it wasn't doing much of a struggle to keep it steady.

Has anyone else with 1yr+ ownership seen diminished range numbers like this?
I have a service appointment scheduled to check the health of the battery next week and will update everyone here.

On the plus side, the highway assist feature seems to work a lot better than it did a year ago.

Received my R1T in September and at 14,000 miles I’ve taken 10 plus 800 mile trips from Dallas to Bentonville. Most of them I’m averaging 1.5-1.8miles per kWh which means when I start at 100% in conserve I have 330 miles of range and it generally ends up 250 or less. This is 100% variable based on wind speed and the truck speed. I drove to Austin last weekend and for 70 miles I was averaging 2.9 miles / kwh

1: you have to watch the drivers display for mile/ kwh so you see how your speed and the wind effects your range if you’re only calculating manually this really masks what’s going on

2: since Ive even exceeded 3 miles /kwh for a 15 min period it indicates all variances for your mileage per charge is more a reflection of wind resistance than anything else

Sponsored

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 genesis gv70 sport prestige. 13 fiat pop, 22 R1
Occupation
Air traffic controller, retired
I have about 9k miles on my R1T after the 14 months I've owned it. Mostly local driving on 20" AT. Have always had the latest updates.
It's been charged to 100% a dozen times but most other times to 70 or 80. I only charge about once every 10 days or so.
Every single one of my charges has been on my 48A home charger. I never charge outside the house.
My range estimate shows ~309 miles in conserve but my real world is lower than that by a lot as it turns out.

I did an all-highway drive in conserve mode from Irvine to Escondido and back through Temecula with a few other detours in light traffic at 65F the other day and ran the car from 100% to 0% and only got 229 miles of range. That included some city driving but most (200+) highway miles. The drive in question has a few moderate climbs but I was expecting to get closer to 270 miles out of it. I literally let the car hit zero but doing a few turns around the neighborhood at the end before charging. I also had my AC at 72 the whole way but it wasn't doing much of a struggle to keep it steady.

Has anyone else with 1yr+ ownership seen diminished range numbers like this?
I have a service appointment scheduled to check the health of the battery next week and will update everyone here.

On the plus side, the highway assist feature seems to work a lot better than it did a year ago.
I've only had mine since February and 3500 miles. I've had all the updates. I'm not certain about the to zero range. I have noticed lately that when I prepare for a road trip and charge to 100%, I'm showing 346 miles. I'm not sure why or if that is accurate.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

One thing to keep in mind is that tire load capacity is linear. If your tires are 45 instead of 50, they have lost 10% carrying capacity. So a tire rated to carry 2000lb at 50psi can only carry 1800 at 45psi. That's a loss of 800lbs total. Hence the tires could carry 8000 but now can carry 7200. People who tow watch this carefully because most trailers barely have the tire rating to carry the load. As soon as the tire capacity drops below the weight of the trailer, the tires begin to create large amounts of heat and soon fail. I don't know the correlation to efficiency but that heat has to come from energy somewhere. As a side note, a C rated tire at 50psi can carry the same amount of weight as an E rated tire at 50psi. The difference in the tires lies in the fact that an E tire can be inflated up to 80psi for more carrying capacity. The psi has to be set to provide at least the weight capacity of the vehicle and most vehicles don't have 50/50 distribution at that.

EVman

First Name
Lood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My R1T has 6K miles on it New in February 2023. Range in conserve mode is 285. That is 13% degradation in 6K miles over 10 months. No Super charged once on the only long trip I had. The rest is home charging. That is more than my Tesla over 4.5 years and 45 000 miles with lots of supercharge.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
You joined this forum 30 minutes ago just to post in a year old thread?

Your claim is a little ridiculous. If true, it's a problem with your specific vehicle and not something that's typical or expected. My R1T is twice as old as yours with three times the mileage and I'm getting better range than when I first got it.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

My R1T has 6K miles on it New in February 2023. Range in conserve mode is 285. That is 13% degradation in 6K miles over 10 months. No Super charged once on the only long trip I had. The rest is home charging. That is more than my Tesla over 4.5 years and 45 000 miles with lots of supercharge.
Welcome to Winter mate!

Tesla uses fixed estimates on the screen; Rivian uses a true GOM. This is fully expected.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Degradation can only be measured fairly accurately by charging the battery to 100%, running it down to zero, and then charging it back to 100% and measuring how much energy it took in.

Then you have to compare that to the same measurement that you took when the vehicle was brand new if you took one.

EVman

First Name
Lood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer

Your claim is a little ridiculous. If true, it's a problem with your specific vehicle and not something that's typical or expected. My R1T is twice as old as yours with three times the mileage and I'm getting better range than when I first got it.
Wow I never used a forum to post anything about my Rivian I like the truck. I was just curious to see why my range is down so much, since I hardly ever charge to 100%.
I did not know it is illegal or something or that posts about range degradation expire or get out of range or something.
I don't need lectures about Tesla either. If you cared to check you would see engineer in my profile so I understand something about battery capacity.
This is obviously not a forum for me.

EVman

First Name
Lood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Degradation can only be measured fairly accurately by charging the battery to 100%, running it down to zero, and then charging it back to 100% and measuring how much energy it took in.

Then you have to compare that to the same measurement that you took when the vehicle was brand new if you took one.
I just charged it for a trip to 100% and saw 285 miles. I will let Rivian take a look at it. I did not wanted to schedule service if 13% was a common degradation.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T

Rivian R1T R1S Diminished real range 14 months in 1703121036766
Sponsored