Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

100% agree, unfortunately. This totally looks/feels like the web team meant to put "configurator" instead of "gear shop" for the powered tonneau.

The R1T is "compatible" with both options, but no shot you'll be able to buy a powered tonneau from the gear shop after delivery.

However, one thing I am excited to see is that Rivian previously said that the manual tonneau would only be compatible if you've configured your vehicle with it. They said they were going to omit the rails if you didn't have any tonneau added at the time of purchase. This language does appear to go back on that. So hopefully all R1Ts will continue to have rails!
It is possible that they used the wrong term but it is also possible to be ordered through the store - like the spare wheel which then involves a service visit.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
My guide just confirmed that the powered tonneau will be retrofittable in R1Ts with manual! Noice!

Iā€™ve canceled my manual order and will now eagerly wait for the powered tonneau news!
This is (hopefully) exciting news! Just keep your expectations in check, Guides are routinely given incorrect information that they parrot for a time...

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

My guide just confirmed that the powered tonneau will be retrofittable in R1Ts with manual! Noice!

Iā€™ve canceled my manual order and will now eagerly wait for the powered tonneau news!
hmmm, yeah i take what guides say with a grain of salt. hopeful but i'd wait to see.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
VW ID4, R1T ( on order); Prev: R1T QM
A tad odd that Rivian didn't send an email to customers and guides before publishing this to their website.

I know, I know.

Last edited:

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Same boat, although you may end up waiting for Godot on this one. I plan to use my $800 manual until this becomes a reality and then evaluate $$$ and durability of the new implementation before selling my manual cover for a profit šŸ¤‘

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

My guide just confirmed this as well! Time to cancel the manual?

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My guide just confirmed this as well! Time to cancel the manual?
If you have the $800 price lock on the manual cover, it doesn't make any sense to cancel. You can always take delivery and then resell for a small profit or to break even since the manual cover goes for $1,800 new.

In terms of the powered tonneau retrofit, you will have to wait for all the replacement powered covers to get installed first. I can easily see that process taking a year + to complete given how bogged down service centers are, and they haven't even started yet! We also have no idea what price the powered tonneau will be offered at...is it worth $5k to you?

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

If you have the $800 price lock on the manual cover, it doesn't make any sense to cancel. You can always take delivery and then resell for a small profit or to break even since the manual cover goes for $1,800 new.

In terms of the powered tonneau retrofit, you will have to wait for all the replacement powered covers to get installed first. I can easily see that process taking a year + to complete given how bogged down service centers are, and they haven't even started yet! We also have no idea what price the powered tonneau will be offered at...is it worth $5k to you?
the other wrinkle though is id guess most of the folks who have the manual tonneau now or getting soon have pre-3/1 price hike prices. if Rivian decides to honor that price (though i would think unlikely) then the powered tonneau will be $1500.

if they do the right thing, they will allow the pre-3/1 price hike orders to purchase the powered tonneau at the original price. i think most of us would have kept that on our config if they had allowed us to but we were told we needed to remove it.

Last edited:

DJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T, 18 Grand Cherokee
Asked my guide this, but the answer wasnā€™t clear. Any thoughts here?

(1) Is it better to wait until the Powered Tonneau can be added to my configuration again? And when is that planned to be?

(2) is there an alternative to take delivery now without either cover, then retrofit a Powered Tonneau?

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs