Sponsored

Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area?

VikingMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Jake Stone

First Name
Shelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The Riv has fog lights. Look at p. 57 of the owners manual.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Rivian has fog lights, but people have had mixed reviews on the effectiveness in snow. I have been reading up on this for the coming winter.

One problem is the Rivian built in fog lights are white, when yellow or amber are said to be more effective. People have added yellow or amber tint to the built-in fog lights.

A second problem is the Rivian center light bar and bright white headlights cause visibility problems in blizzard conditions by reflecting a ton of light off the snow. Some people even pulled out fuses to turn off the white lights.

A third problem is snow and ice buildup on the LED headlights (which are not heated, so it doesn't melt).

Between all these issues, I like the idea of yellow, heated or halogen fog lights mounted on the grill or tow hooks. It still doesn't totally solve issue #2 (reflection from the main headlights), unless you turn your headlights off in extreme conditions and rely on the bumper lights only, but then you would need some good rear-facing lights as well...

Edit: your idea was mentioned here also.

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

I installed a set of Morimoto 2Banger Amber SAE Fogs like this...
I used the supplied Morimoto brackets, a pair of stainless, cut-to-length (about 1.25") 3/8-16 carriage bolts with galvanized anti-turn washers as the behind-the-grill support. No permanent grill mods needed, only hole is for the wiring behind the passenger side light.
These and the in-process roof-mounted ditch lights are switched through a Trigger 4 Plus mounted right of the cabin air filter under the trim panel.
I'll get some night pics soon.
Overall, I am very happy with the addition.

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_115519

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_115535

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_115549

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_115558

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_115745

Sponsored

OP
OP

VikingMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I installed a set of Morimoto 2Banger Amber SAE Fogs like this...
I used the supplied Morimoto brackets, a pair of stainless, cut-to-length (about 1.25") 3/8-16 carriage bolts with galvanized anti-turn washers as the behind-the-grill support. No permanent grill mods needed, only hole is for the wiring behind the passenger side light.
These and the in-process roof-mounted ditch lights are switched through a Trigger 4 Plus mounted right of the cabin air filter under the trim panel.
I'll get some night pics soon.
Overall, I am very happy with the addition.

20230919_115519.jpg

20230919_115535.jpg

20230919_115549.jpg

20230919_115558.jpg

20230919_115745.jpg
That's exactly what I was thinking of. I'd be interested to hear more about the installation. I assume that you are wired directly to the 12 volt battery.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Perfect set up doesn't block any air either given its the horns right there. May have to copy this I've also been wanting to add some rock lights.

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

That's exactly what I was thinking of. I'd be interested to hear more about the installation. I assume that you are wired directly to the 12 volt battery.
Here is my power wiring. I drilled and tapped a ground in the cross-member before seeing the ground strap I am pointing to in the picture. On the battery, I connected to the Primary PDU lug. There are multiple options for lugs that all tie to 12V primary battery.
I routed 12V switched power from the 12V lead for the frunk power outlet. Connector is above the driver front wheel and, AFAIK, exists on all vehicles regardless of frunk 12V port status.

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230916_223204

OP
OP

VikingMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Awesome! How about getting the wiring to the front lights?

Sponsored

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

Switched power came from the pink wire on this connector.

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

Awesome! How about getting the wiring to the front lights?
I drilled a hole behind this light in the blank for the horn, low so the light and grill hide it. With the frunk out, it is easily accessible from the rear as well. I routed wires parallel to the washer fluid lines and then down behind the grill.

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_115603

OP
OP

VikingMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I wonder if a light bar with dual function would work in that area. There are a couple that make bars that have amber on the sides and white for the center. That would be really practical and your switch set up would simplify the install.

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

I wonder if a light bar with dual function would work in that area. There are a couple that make bars that have amber on the sides and white for the center. That would be really practical and your switch set up would simplify the install.
It could. I test fit a single row LED bar under the camera and it doesn't obstruct the view any more than the bumper. First pic is the light set on the bumper. Second is camera view.

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230905_195925

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230905_195854
Sponsored