Follow up - Preparing to purchase - home charger

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
I’m considering getting a level 2 charger installed at home. Now that NACS is real and probably be the standard for future EVs I might buy, should I just go for a Tesla charger? Sure, I’ll need an adapter at home but trying to be future proof as well. Appreciate your thoughts!
Sponsored

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
I highly recommend the Tesla Universal wall charger, I use it both for my R1S and My Model 3 no issues and priced right. I have a 60 amp Circuit hardwired into it.

Tesla Universal Wall Connector

ssbmx90

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
I’m considering getting a level 2 charger installed at home. Now that NACS is real and probably be the standard for future EVs I might buy, should I just go for a Tesla charger? Sure, I’ll need an adapter at home but trying to be future proof as well. Appreciate your thoughts!
I have the Tesla charger and it works great for Tesla.. I’ll be using it for the rivian as well. No need to spend $600 from rivian unless you want the native features if any from rivian

OP
OP

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
Thanks, Admin.

but my question is also: do I really need an NACS charger at home for a maybe second electric car in the future (atleast 5 yrs away)? Mainly because I’d have to use the adapter everyday

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
So let me tell you my charging journey, I purchased a 2016 Tesla Model S and had a 14-50 Plug installed into my garage, it worked well nut always felt odd leaving my cable home, what if I needed to charge while away. Then when I got my 2018 Tesla Model 3, I purchased and installed a Tesla HPWC it had the NACS plug and worked great. I sold my Model 3 and wife bought a Leaf, we installed a Charge Point Home, and it works great still have it in my garage now. Then I bought another Tesla Model 3, so I used the adapter every couple days, kinda a pain if it was in the car or not on the charger. Then when I was preparing for our R1S i was looking at installing a second charger Tesla came out with the Universal wall charger I ordered it and had to wait for delivery but had it installed and it checks all of my boxes, I can charge my rivian on either charger, my wife now drives the Model 3 and charges on the tesla charger, the adapter is always where it goes. and the price of the Tesla Universal wall charger is inline with what I paid for my Charge Point Home.

Sponsored

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Also got my first EV with the R1S and the Tesla Universal Charger is what we went with. Working fine so far, but I haven't charged any NACS vehicles at home yet...

Fully expecting to be NACS only in a few years

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Chargepoint Flex is a great charger with excellent customer service I had for 1/2 a decade for another EV. I don't expect NACS short term on any vehicle I'm planning to buy....It's year(s) away and will have plenty of time to get an adapter if needed.

If I had a Tesla and another CCS/J1772 vehicle different story, but can't compare Tesla chargers to Chargepoint Flex as don't have a tesla one.

WIRivian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 430xi ’18, Jeep GC ‘19, Toyota Landcruiser ‘73
Occupation
Advisor
Clubs

I first bought a Rivian charger for our cottage and now have purchased the Tesla Universal charger for home. Over a year with the Rivian Charger and 4 months with Tesla. The charging cable on the Tesla charger is much thinner and more flexible. It is easier to maneuver around particularly if it is outside in the cold. I have had two incidents with the Rivian Charger where it didn’t “recognize” the vehicle and wouldn’t charge.. Hard reboooting everything fixed it. This has not happened with the Tesla Charger.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

It's a convenience thing. If you don't foresee buying a nacs car you could go with CCS. For me there were features that weren't offered on the Tesla unit that I wanted. The USA is headed to the nacs connector though so it would be future proof having both options on one unit. Rivian selling a CCS only unit when they plan on adopting nacs seems to do a disservice to their customers.

tragicmonkey049

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Adventure; 2019 Toyo Prius
Occupation
Curmudgeon
Thanks, Admin.

but my question is also: do I really need an NACS charger at home for a maybe second electric car in the future (atleast 5 yrs away)? Mainly because I’d have to use the adapter everyday
Another option to consider: Grizzl-E Duo. Pulls from a single circuit and automatically shares across 2 vehicles when needed. Slap a NACS adapter on the second plug in the future and have one of each that can be plugged in simultaneously. Mine is working great!

Sponsored

TTedP

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 R1T DM, Large
Occupation
Telecom
I highly recommend the Tesla Universal wall charger, I use it both for my R1S and My Model 3 no issues and priced right. I have a 60 amp Circuit hardwired into it.

exact same set up.

good price, universal use, thinner and more pliable cable, integrates w/ Tesla app. It's great!

Last edited:

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I love the Autel Maxicharger I have for our Rivian. They only offer it in CCS, but it has load sharing, a great app that tracks costs and power, and is weatherproof. The only think that will get me to change it out I think is the availability of bi-directional charging and then I will probably look for Autel again before anything else.

I would say to just get the best charger for you now. Adapters are available and relatively cheap. EV technology is moving so fast it is just too hard to time the market and tech on it.

Last edited:

Flakey-Leather3508

First Name
Morgna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Mercedes GL 350, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Software Architect

I agree Tesla Universal charger is great. In my case I already have a Tesla Model Y and its wall charger. Now I have a new R1, it would make sense to install Tesla Universal charger, as it would allow me to configure the chargers to communicate and coordinate charging times and operation.

YouKnowWhatsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 R1T Limestone
Clubs

I have a Tesla Charger and a $99 evbase adapter for my Rivian. You could get the cheaper $450 charger from Tesla or the universal for $620. I had one issue with my charger in 3 years of daily use and Tesla sent me a new one without hesitation. It took me 5 minutes to install the replacement.
I would buy a charger from a company that can replace the parts quickly if needed. Rivian doesn’t seem to do anything quickly so I’m hesitant to want their charger.
Sponsored