Sponsored

Front License Plate Mount that looks good and high quality?

Mofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S, '23 Sprinter AWD High Roof, '17 VW eGolf
Clubs

Yes, they did for me. Just verify during delivery in case they forget
Took delivery 6/26. They verified that I didn’t want the plate mounted. I told them I intended to use the tow hook mount. They did not provide me with the factory holder.

Which is better, the BrainExploder or BuiltRight Industries mount?
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Took delivery 6/26. They verified that I didn’t want the plate mounted. I told them I intended to use the tow hook mount. They did not provide me with the factory holder.

BuiltRight. No question.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order

I tried for days to get BuiltRight to be positioned correctly in an attempt to replace my brain exploder. Never could get it. I think there is some variation in vehicles and the sensors, that make the BuiltRight mount not workable on some vehicles.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I tried for days to get BuiltRight to be positioned correctly in an attempt to replace my brain exploder. Never could get it. I think there is some variation in vehicles and the sensors, that make the BuiltRight mount not workable on some vehicles.
The key is to slightly bend in the inner and outer edges of the plate.

mrproduxn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
escape, tacoma, rav4, fusion
Occupation
retired/hobbyist
Not sure what the factory front bracket spacing is. I am a hobbyist and had made hundreds of front brackets for various makes and models. Mine are industrial grade and unique. I specialize in hidden front brackets. With mine you only see the exposed license plate yet is it fully protected by a machined lightweight and strong grade 6061 aluminum bracket. They do mount to the bumper with stainless sheet metal screws. They are $33 shipped and so include stainless fasteners for the bracket and the license plate as well as rubber isolators to prevent paint damage to painted bumpers. Large are tongue and groove fitted machined assemblies. Unfortunately I have not yet made an option to prevent 2 holes in the bumper. Can anyone tell me what the oem mounting screw spacing is. My full size currently have either 10 inch or 10-1/4 inch spacing. I also have a small version that offers 7 inch and 10-1/4 inch spacing. The small version is $23 but does leave the lower half of license plates exposed to bending from automatic carwashes.
Rivian R1T R1S Front License Plate Mount that looks good and high quality? 20230622_235803
Rivian R1T R1S Front License Plate Mount that looks good and high quality? 20230622_235407
Rivian R1T R1S Front License Plate Mount that looks good and high quality? 20200916_172456

Sponsored

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Kind of going around in circles, but I like the Snapplate one: prefer center look without need to drill holes in bumper cover.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

BuiltRight. No question.
This is the correct answer. It's taken me a couple of tweaks to get it out of view of the front sensors, but once it's in the right spot, it's golden.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
BuiltRight. No question.
I'm not convinced. And bending the plate really isn't a good solution for me.

The BrainExploder just worked. And did flawlessly for months. I recently switched to the BuiltRight to get something more solid feeling but it's been nothing but drama with the sensors.

The BrainExploder uses the fat OE frame that presents a larger target than the plate alone. For the BuiltRight, I used ONLY the plate for the smallest possible obstruction. However, it can't be mounted as far to the outside as the BrainExploder, but still somehow triggers the outside sensor! After quite a bit of trial and error, I got it centered. Based on messing around, the window seems to be +/- a couple of mm. It works fine now... until it gets into the high 80s (F). Then, I get random sensor triggers.

As I was writing this up I think I figured out why the BrainExploder has more margin side-to-side: It mounts about 5mm closer to the bumper than the BuiltRight.

One solution might be to mount the BuiltRight mount plate "flipped over" (license mount tabs pointing in). But... you might need longer screws and probably stand-offs to clear the tow hook hardare. Maybe this would get the plate a bit closer.

BrainExploder: Far easier to install and it just works, but is not as solid (which may not matter).
BuiltRight: Very solid mount but lots of fiddling around and you will probably end up bending your plate like so many others have.

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

For those that have or will use the Rivian provided front mount. Here is what this mount looks like. It's not very visible from the camera view. Hopefully Texas will pass the no front plate law soon, but until then ... Got this from Amazon. I bought the second link that is a silicone one for the rear. I like it and might try adding it to the front, but it will make a larger image that the camera might catch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9XY1FBR?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CV5PLFM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

"You a big William Hung fan?"

Rivian R1T R1S Front License Plate Mount that looks good and high quality? 20230720_153056_HDR

Rivian R1T R1S Front License Plate Mount that looks good and high quality? 20230720_153540

Rivian R1T R1S Front License Plate Mount that looks good and high quality? Screenshot 2023-07-20 155810

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I think the Brainexploder is $85 and the Built Right is $75 if I remember correctly.
May be pricing has changed recently? I see BrainExploder for $55 and Built Right for $79. I like reports of BrainExploder being "easier" to install (less issues with obstructing sensors/cameras). Plus, it's cheaper. Are there better options at similar cost?

GR

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
May be pricing has changed recently? I see BrainExploder for $55 and Built Right for $79. I like reports of BrainExploder being "easier" to install (less issues with obstructing sensors/cameras). Plus, it's cheaper. Are there better options at similar cost?

GR
They definitely could have changed. The only way to get significant cost savings is to go the DIY method.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

GR
I installed the Bultright, ended up having to curve my plates at each end. Also had quality issue with one of the bolts having bad threading. Had bad customer experience and plate is currently only mounted with three screws. One day I'll remember to just buy an extra screw from a hardware store that will work. Not sure it is worth $80.

kemxns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Raptor
Has anyone here tried any of the plastic frames (OEM, Amazon, whatever) and simply *taping* the assembly to the front of the vehicle? I treat VHB style adhesives as "permanent for as long as I want them to be" where the way to remove them is careful heat to soften-then-remove (hair dryer or careful heat gun).

I'm in SoCal, so I need to prepare for a fair amount of heat.

Im trying to replace my BuiltRight. I've had the usual drama trying to get it aligned, I've decided it's a failure, and I'm returning mine. I also had QC issues with rusting bolts. With those two problems said, I've had an excellent customer service experience and give the company a perfect rating (would gladly do biz with them again). Unfortunately, I just can't use this product.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I went with the builtright mount on mine.

Rivian R1T R1S Front License Plate Mount that looks good and high quality? IMG_8076
Sponsored