First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 and Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired Attorney
I don't get how an inflatable spare could ever work - for any vehicle.

If you don't have room for a full sized spare, where are you going to put the full sized flat? Do they expect you to just leave it on the side of the road after installing the inflatable spare?
I don't reply to defend the situation. I, too, am disappointed at a design of a luxury SUV that cannot accommodate a full size spare. Not thoughtful. Not on par with luxury.

But having had the experience with a rental that only had the donut spare, you remove the flat, replace it with the donut (remember, there's an air hose as part of the car; inflate the donut), and then fit the flat inside the car somewhere for the hopefully short drive to a tire shop for repair of the flat. Donuts aren't meant for high speed or long distances.

So there's a solution . . . but it's really only just barely better than nothing at all. Only just.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I don't reply to defend the situation. I, too, am disappointed at a design of a luxury SUV that cannot accommodate a full size spare. Not thoughtful. Not on par with luxury.

But having had the experience with a rental that only had the donut spare, you remove the flat, replace it with the donut (remember, there's an air hose as part of the car; inflate the donut), and then fit the flat inside the car somewhere for the hopefully short drive to a tire shop for repair of the flat. Donuts aren't meant for high speed or long distances.

So there's a solution . . . but it's really only just barely better than nothing at all. Only just.
Thanks for the reply.

A rental car is a great example where an inflatable spare works out great. As long as you paid for the damage waiver you can leave the full sized flat that doesn't fit in the vehicle on the side of the road.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Unless it's $800 and includes a jack, I'll be disappointed. Let me prepare myself now!
Sponsored