First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition, LA Silver 22 Sport Bright
Occupation
Market Research Executive
Was watching Marques Brownlee's latest review of the $2.4 M, fastest production car ever and noticed they will be adding CarPlay/Android Auto in future software updates. It would be a useful option for us pokey 3.0 seconds to 60 R1 drivers. :)
Rivian R1T R1S Fun Fact: The Rimac Nevera is getting CarPlay/Android Auto Rimac Nevara getting carplay
Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

OP
OP
ActionableDave

ActionableDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Here is a great PODCAST. THey talk about the likelihood of CP/AA coming to Rivian. I like their thoughts of why it really isn't needed.

Rivian & VW Form Joint Venture - Start Up & Legacy Automaker Partner On EV Software (youtube.com)
I hear that argument; the additional resources from VW can go a long way towards making the current infotainment system better. I personally would prefer that they put several apps up in their own environment (e.g., Waze, Apple Music, Gaia GPS, Sirius XM (with an optional satellite antenna)) that are well written and work consistently.

If they add CarPlay/AA in the interim, they can have an option for owners who aren't infotainment system enthusiasts who want to simplify their experience with their R1 while managing children, etc. It provides very easy access to the apps we use regularly. Best to have apps available that are built in; until then, let's use CarPlay/AA

VW is going to bring little to the table infotainment system-wise, but the investment will be valuable if they can expand the infotainment development team at Rivian.

I love my R1S, and feel the infotainment system works well, but I would prefer to have easier access to the apps I use on my phone all day, one way or another.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I hear that argument; the additional resources from VW can go a long way towards making the current infotainment system better. I personally would prefer that they put several apps up in their own environment (e.g., Waze, Apple Music, Gaia GPS, Sirius XM (with an optional satellite antenna)) that are well written and work consistently.

If they add CarPlay/AA in the interim, they can have an option for owners who aren't infotainment system enthusiasts who want to simplify their experience with their R1 while managing children, etc. It provides very easy access to the apps we use regularly. Best to have apps available that are built in; until then, let's use CarPlay/AA

VW is going to bring little to the table infotainment system-wise, but the investment will be valuable if they can expand the infotainment development team at Rivian.

I love my R1S, and feel the infotainment system works well, but I would prefer to have easier access to the apps I use on my phone all day, one way or another.
I would love if they can strike a deal with Apple and Android to port it over to the Infotainment, but as they were saying, I think these EV companies want to forge their own identity.

We have CP that we use on our RAV4 Prime and I like it, but the only thing I use it for is WAZE, SPOTIFY and Messaging. I want Rivian to get Messaging on their system....I know we can use "Hey Siri", but that isn't the same as being able to see the number of messages and responding via the infortainment. I think only good things are on the horizon for Rivian

Sponsored

RedRaiderRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Canyon Red
Clubs

I would love if they can strike a deal with Apple and Android to port it over to the Infotainment, but as they were saying, I think these EV companies want to forge their own identity.

We have CP that we use on our RAV4 Prime and I like it, but the only thing I use it for is WAZE, SPOTIFY and Messaging. I want Rivian to get Messaging on their system....I know we can use "Hey Siri", but that isn't the same as being able to see the number of messages and responding via the infortainment. I think only good things are on the horizon for Rivian
From the 2024 JD power initial quality survey

"Also, problems with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay persist as the feature remains one of the top 10 problems as customers experience difficulties connecting to their vehicle or losing connection."

So keep Carplay and AA out of my Rivian. We don't want it. We don't need it.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Won't chrome cast fix this for most people. I use AA in my truck and lately in the rental Audi q5 we have. It is clunky... at best... music from my apps works great when I want it, but is also blaring in my car when I don't want it.

If we had messages, waze/google maps and more native apps, we wouldn't need CP/AA.

I think Rivian is making the right decision.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I travel frequently for work and like having CarPlay in my rentals because itā€™s seamless and I donā€™t have fumble around too much with a new interface. My R1T is in for service and Enterprise gave me a Lucid Air for a few days - great vehicle and I liked the interface but CarPlay really cheapened the feel for me and it was clunky at best - kept freezing. I know, I know - CarPlay stans just want the option to have it and it wonā€™t affect me. Enjoyed the Lucid but couldnā€™t wait to get my Rivian back!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Guess you should get one of those then.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ActionableDave

ActionableDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I travel frequently for work and like having CarPlay in my rentals because itā€™s seamless and I donā€™t have fumble around too much with a new interface. My R1T is in for service and Enterprise gave me a Lucid Air for a few days - great vehicle and I liked the interface but CarPlay really cheapened the feel for me and it was clunky at best - kept freezing. I know, I know - CarPlay stans just want the option to have it and it wonā€™t affect me. Enjoyed the Lucid but couldnā€™t wait to get my Rivian back!
Donā€™t get me wrong, there is no hate for the current system; it would make some things more convenient.

OP
OP
ActionableDave

ActionableDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Won't chrome cast fix this for most people. I use AA in my truck and lately in the rental Audi q5 we have. It is clunky... at best... music from my apps works great when I want it, but is also blaring in my car when I don't want it.

If we had messages, waze/google maps and more native apps, we wouldn't need CP/AA.

I think Rivian is making the right decision.
I agree.

OP
OP
ActionableDave

ActionableDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Donā€™t get me wrong, there is no hate for the current system; it would make some things more convenient.
Something to keep in mind, each brandā€™s CP/AA app is written by them using Appleā€™s sdk, so if a company does a poor job implementing it, it is their own issue.

To reiterate, I would be more excited about having Waze, Apple Music, Pandora, Gaia, SXM and hands free text/mms than CP/AA.
Sponsored