Sponsored

Gen2 R1 wireless charging pad improvements? Swappable into Gen1?

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Forgive me if I missed it but was there any mention of the wireless charging pad being improved on Gen2? Has anyone looked into whether that whole unit can be swapped in to a Gen1 R1?
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Forgive me if I missed it but was there any mention of the wireless charging pad being improved on Gen2? Has anyone looked into whether that whole unit can be swapped in to a Gen1 R1?
It has a divider and will still charge if slides forward, from the reviews I’ve seen. Different charging coil design.

olsonnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Clubs

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

My understanding is the key fob reader is part of the wireless charger. At least for my product I'm assuming it won't be compatible. I will try to find a way to make it work, but I don't have great hopes.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Reviews say it is much improved. Someone on this forum said that they were able to get one installed in their gen1 vehicle.

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Reviews say it is much improved. Someone on this forum said that they were able to get one installed in their gen1 vehicle.
I got to try it out in the service center parking lot. Placed phone in relatively thin case on charger. there was a 2 -3 second lag then it charged right up. I dont know how well it holds up when driving. but compared to my Gen1 where i would need to adjust it a few times before it gets to the right spot and start charginer, its an improvement.

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I would highly recommend an aftermarket solution like Soonish Instead. https://s00nish.com/products/click-n-charge-premium-wireless-phone-charger-for-rivian-r1t-r1s
I’m sure these work really well, but are there reasons you’d consider this over an OEM replacement assuming they become available?
My understanding is the key fob reader is part of the wireless charger. At least for my product I'm assuming it won't be compatible. I will try to find a way to make it work, but I don't have great hopes.
Interesting - it makes sense then that aftermarket gen1 options might not work on gen2, but hopefully doesn’t restrict OEM gen2 from working on gen1.
Very cool - lmk if you’re able to track that post down!

coney129

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Rivian R1S
I took delivery of a gen 2 R1S yesterday. Never drove a gen 1 but it’s similar wireless charger to my previous Volvo XC40 recharge. My iPhone 15 max kept over heating, saying charging is stopped until it cools down, and it charges slow. Doesn’t compare to if it was MagSafe which charges much faster at 15 watts. Consequently I just used a usb-c cord and plugged into the armrest. That seems to charge pretty quickly too for a stock usb-c outlet in a car. The wireless charger is nothing to get excited over. I emailed the folks at SOOnish and he indicated they have a gen 2 model they’re working on now, should be out in 3 weeks and somehow circumvents the NFC reader.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wildgoose115

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Dual Motor, Large Pack
Occupation
Video Producer
My R1T was just in for service last week, and I asked if I could get the gen 2 wireless charger. I was told that the current part is NOT backwards compatible. I mentioned that I had saw on Reddit that an owner got the gen 2 installed in their gen 1, and was told that wasn't possible - the service center had ran the question all the way up to the engineers and were told that the new part isn't compatible.

Now, I don't know what to believe - RJ had mentioned a few times that the new wireless charger would be backwards compatible, and it looks like it should just work, but perhaps the move of the NFC reader added wires to the plug so the new charger won't connect to the old connecter?

I know there are plenty of good aftermarket options but I'd like the better OEM option if possible!

tg_cid

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster
Just picked up our Gen2. The wireless charger is much better. It is still worse than a MagSafe.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Even if it’s improved, it’s probably not worth the effort… if you can even get the part from Rivian. Outwardly, it doesn’t appear to be any different other than that center divider. The surface is still slick enough for phone to slide out of position fore and aft. I got s00nish’s Click And Charge. Works great and looks factory at a glance.

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Model S, Model 3
Clubs

Got my gen2 R1S on Tuesday, so here is more info:

1. If you have an iPhone, the wireless charger offers no sensible improvement. I had an hour drive from the SC to home after picking up and the battery level stayed the same.
2. It's not an easy swap to get gen2 charger and put it into a gen1 vehicle. The mat is easy but the charger is also different and the molex adapter is different.
3. Because of (2) the aftermarket OEM replacement chargers won't work because as I said - the molex adapter is different.
4. Our MagSafe charger (https://twraps.com/products/magsafe-compatible-dual-wireless-charger-for-rivian-r1t-r1s) is already re-done to work on gen2, and happy to say I am getting 10W power if plugged into the right hand side USB-C port (left hand side now reserved for USB drive for Gear Guard videos). I will be releasing our gen2 compatible charger in a day or two. Same design as before but the bottom is re-worked so that the divider fits in it.

OP
OP
sevengroove

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Thanks friends, some really helpful responses here. Ultimately it sounds like the gen2 oem pad is definitely an improvement over gen1 but as an iPhone user perhaps an after-market MagSafe pad might provide the most benefit for me.
Sponsored