Home Charger recommendation?

Airmoses

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
What is everyone using for their home charger? I want to get the rivian wall charger just to stay within the system. Bit from research I feel like basic functions are missing, like schedules (have to set in the car), the ability to remotely disable the charger, view rates from utility company, etc.
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Avoid Rivian chargers, they are not great.

Recommend Tesla, Clipper Creek or charge point; in that order.

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

We had you use EV Juicenet to be a part of a pilot with the electric company in Wisconsin. You may want to check with local incentives before purchasing one. We get a $0.12/kw discount by using it so the difference can be significant.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I use this one, it is well rated, here is a review.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

We had you use EV Juicenet to be a part of a pilot with the electric company in Wisconsin. You may want to check with local incentives before purchasing one. We get a $0.12/kw discount by using it so the difference can be significant.
This x 100

I've also recently been thinking that I'd want one that can easily be used for J-1772 or NACS. If everyone is switching to NACS, you may want to convert in the future. I have the Charge Point Flex and I looked it up; apparently they sell a $200 cable replacement to give you a NACS connector. For that price, I think my (wife's) R3X will just suck power through an adapter until we have two NACS-equipped vehicles.

Ehh, who am I kidding? I'll probably buy the cable and just use the adapter with the R1S to make her life easier. Either way, something to consider...

Sponsored

Ed C

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 440ic, Tesla Y, Maverick, Tahoe, F150
We use a Tesla universal wall connector that we use for our R1S and Model Y. It’s has a built in adapter. We set it up to optimize time of use rates with our utility - basically so it only operates from midnite to 3 pm.
It has worked well.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This x 100

I've also recently been thinking that I'd want one that can easily be used for J-1772 or NACS. If everyone is switching to NACS, you may want to convert in the future. I have the Charge Point Flex and I looked it up; apparently they sell a $200 cable replacement to give you a NACS connector. For that price, I think my (wife's) R3X will just suck power through an adapter until we have two NACS-equipped vehicles.

Ehh, who am I kidding? I'll probably buy the cable and just use the adapter with the R1S to make her life easier. Either way, something to consider...
I use the J1772 to Tesla adapter for the Model S, it is a really small adapter and very easy to use. If I ever replace my home chargers would probably look for a NACS fitted charger but would not waste money converting the existing ones.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
What is everyone using for their home charger? I want to get the rivian wall charger just to stay within the system. Bit from research I feel like basic functions are missing, like schedules (have to set in the car), the ability to remotely disable the charger, view rates from utility company, etc.
I have had zero issues for 13 mos with a Tesla home charger and Lectron adapter setup. Of course now you can buy the Tesla universal charger which can plug in to your CCS Rivian without an extra adapter….but again, no issues and charge at approx 23 mph

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
People were running into issues controlling charge schedules via the EVSE (the R1 would give up trying). Unless something has changed, it's better to schedule through the vehicle so not necessarily a must have feature in an EVSE.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I bought an autel because of all the features including sharing and third party billing. They displayed a version with a nacs cable at the last industry show but who knows when it's coming. That's what I'm hoping to put at apartment buildings for tenants to use.

c4denc3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
DevOps Engineer
Clubs

I have the Rivian Wall Charger and haven’t had any issues with it for the year + that I’ve had it. I charged my then Tesla with it and now I charge my R1S. I will echo what others have said and check with your local electricity provider to see what incentives there are. My electricity provider only had incentives on 40A chargers which I didn’t want.

dradam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S OC LA Silver 21 as of Nov 3, 2022 !!
Like you I wanted to have a Rivian charger for my Rivian vehicle and max amps. In retrospect I only charge at 32 a— have never needed more (yet). Bought a used ChargePoint 32amps to install @ my folks home for when I visit and it works just as well. Turning back the clock, I might’ve looked more closely at the rebates offered by my local utility.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
Check to see if your state or electricity provider will reimburse you for a specific charger. I happened to get a free Rivian charger installed as a Rivian incentive and returned the ChargePoint charger my power company would have paid for.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I've had a charge point flex plugged into 14-50 nema for the last 2 EV's. Gives me 25mph on the R1T, had one issue last year and Chargepoint stepped up and replaced the entire unit.
Sponsored