Sponsored

How about a Rivian 'wink' from one Rivian to another?

BuschWacker

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T- Dual Motor, 22" Wheels, Since October 2023
Occupation
Home Builder
I've attempted to acknowledge other Rivian drivers while driving, as have some with me while driving my R1T. In the Jeep Wrangler community, it is common to nod or toss out a quick wave when acknowledging another Wrangler driver- the Jeep wave. In my R1T I've flashed my brights quickly and waved, but it's not ideal. Has anyone heard anything in the works for a Rivian 'wink'? I imagine the driver's side headlight could perform a 'wink' with the light configuration. This could be managed by one of the quick access buttons on the steering wheel- the right-hand side buttons are not in use in standard driving configuration. It seems that the Rivian Wifi could/would pick up another Rivian wifi within 100- 200 ft and the option to 'wink' could appear on the steering wheel. Thoughts?
Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

It seems a bit invasive.
Where we live, there are so many Rivians no one waves, however further out in the Sierras people do wave.
When we had a Jeep it was the same thing, it depends on concentration I guess.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
It takes a little practice, but there is a "Rivian Wink" you can use to acknowledge an oncoming Rivian...

Turn on your left blinker just once - in daylight your running light will turn off and your turn signal will flash once. It's actually pretty effective, even if it does confuse the person behind you a bit.

KeeganBuilds

First Name
Keegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, LR Discovery 2, 5th Gen Toyota 4Runner
ive been trying to get something going too, I tap the emergency flasher button for one flash. Hoping it catches on. Im in the Seattle area and for the most part ive had zero uptake so far haha

Sponsored

Kimmyyox

First Name
Kimberly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Toyota Tacoma, Ram 2500
It takes a little practice, but there is a "Rivian Wink" you can use to acknowledge an oncoming Rivian...

Turn on your left blinker just once - in daylight your running light will turn off and your turn signal will flash once. It's actually pretty effective, even if it does confuse the person behind you a bit.
This is what I do as well.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I will never understand this. If someone waves at me and I don't know them, it's just odd. I assume I've left a drink on top of my car or something.

I know a person or two who are on this forum and if I see them driving their Rivian I will wave to them because I know them. I can't imagine just waving at every car I see that is manufactured by the same company as mine.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I will never understand this. If someone waves at me and I don't know them, it's just odd. I assume I've left a drink on top of my car or something.

I know a person or two who are on this forum and if I see them driving their Rivian I will wave to them because I know them. I can't imagine just waving at every car I see that is manufactured by the same company as mine.
Damn I wave to @ironpig all the time and he never waves back.

But for real, I don't wave unless I know you. Yes, you have good taste in vehicles. I don't feel that needs to be acknowledged. Now, if I see a stranger in a parking lot with a Rivian I will probably drum up some cheap conversation.

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

The awesome thing about it is that you can choose NOT to wave if you donā€™t feel itā€™s appropriate, but for those who would like to wave or have Rivian develop a ā€œRivian Waveā€ button, why not?

I support the ideaā€¦ even if itā€™s cheeky to some.

šŸ«² --0----0-- šŸ«±

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

ive been trying to get something going too, I tap the emergency flasher button for one flash. Hoping it catches on. Im in the Seattle area and for the most part ive had zero uptake so far haha
This is what I do. The nearest service center to me is across the ocean, so I like to acknowledge the other dozen crazies on this small island who took the same leap of faith with Rivian build quality. They usually wave back in some way or another, but in the nine months I've been here I've only actually met one Rivian owner in person.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I think I am the only Rivian in my city.. And I have not seen one on the road since I ran across that YouTuber...

No one to "wink" at... Its kinda cool! I stand out in a crowd for sure.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
The awesome thing about it is that you can choose NOT to wave if you donā€™t feel itā€™s appropriate, but for those who would like to wave or have Rivian develop a ā€œRivian Waveā€ button, why not?

I support the ideaā€¦ even if itā€™s cheeky to some.

šŸ«² --0----0-- šŸ«±
True. I waved a lot at first. Now I see Rivians all the time it's too much.

It's like, imagine model 3/Y owners waved to every one they saw. That would be downright dangerous around here lol.

WPRogersR1S

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
The Wink or Wave. Ok for all you Debbie downers itā€™s not that youā€™re obligated to oblige if someone waves at you, itā€™s just a friendly gesture of respect. As others here have stated itā€™s the same in the Jeep world as well for Corvettes and motorcycles. Itā€™s just a fun thing to do.

What would be REALLY cool if Rivian made an option in settings that one could choose to enable for the vehicle to do a left headlight wink all on its own when it came into proximity of another Rivian. Just some thoughts. šŸ˜‰

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Who hurt you?
Sponsored