Sponsored

How do I take my phone out of the Rivian while leaving passengers inside?

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Thanks. That just seems bit of overkill. Rivian should have a feature that keeps the car running until I tell it not to.
You still have access tot he rivian app on your phone - simply turn on the climate from the app
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

First World Problems for sure. I have the opposite problem.
My wife has a Lexus NX350 hybrid. You carry around a fob.

Push start button, car comes alive. Muscle memory causes me to push up on the windshield wiper stalk in order to back out of garage...wife barks at me for messing up windshield by smearing the bugs around

Drive to wherever we're going. Seems odd to have to use that pedal on the floor to the left of the accelerator. Get out, start to walk away. Wife barks at me to lock the doors. Push button on fob. Door won't lock because I didn't turn off the engine by pushing the Power button. Open door. Turn off engine. Close door. Push button on fob. Door won't lock because wife has left her fob in her purse on the floorboard. Retrieve fob. Lock door (finally). Go on with life.
I had the same problem, so we sold the Lexus and my wife got an R1S. I'm a problem solver ;)

N7Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2023 R1T
Clubs

I would really like to figure this out myself too. I tend to turn it on to leave ac and music on if I’m hanging out in the back.
i put in a service ticket with Rivian for that issue. Camp mode Always on keeps the hotspot, Bluetooth, radio, AC on, but shut off the speakers. They said that how it's suppose to work. Also I sent a feature request to them to have the speakers stay on as well.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

First World Problems for sure. I have the opposite problem.
My wife has a Lexus NX350 hybrid. You carry around a fob.

Push start button, car comes alive. Muscle memory causes me to push up on the windshield wiper stalk in order to back out of garage...wife barks at me for messing up windshield by smearing the bugs around

Drive to wherever we're going. Seems odd to have to use that pedal on the floor to the left of the accelerator. Get out, start to walk away. Wife barks at me to lock the doors. Push button on fob. Door won't lock because I didn't turn off the engine by pushing the Power button. Open door. Turn off engine. Close door. Push button on fob. Door won't lock because wife has left her fob in her purse on the floorboard. Retrieve fob. Lock door (finally). Go on with life.
I feel your pain. Have same experience when driving my wifes Subaru!

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I use Pet Mode for these cases. My little daughter enjoys watching the “Rivian monster” on the screen during that time.

Sponsored

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

You still have access tot he rivian app on your phone - simply turn on the climate from the app
What if ATT is out again? IMO, there should always be a non-OTA way of controlling the vehicle functions, especially from within the car.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Fair, but you can plan around the 98% case and get on with your life or obsess over the 2% case.
Given that ATT does not have 100% physical coverage across the US, and add the chance of having outages, I would say it warrants a button that says "stay on for 30m/1hr/2hr etc etc" in the car.

It's not that expensive to add this feature to the software, relatively to adding net new features.

For other references, web services aim for 99.99% or greater in uptime.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Given that ATT does not have 100% physical coverage across the US, and add the chance of having outages, I would say it warrants a button that says "stay on for 30m/1hr/2hr etc etc" in the car.

It's not that expensive to add this feature to the software, relatively to adding net new features.

For other references, web services aim for 99.99% or greater in uptime.
I work in tech and am well aware of four and five 9s... I'm also aware they're rarely ever actually achieved in practice. But this isn't just about having or not having coverage. it's also about making a trip specifically where this capability is needed in conjunction with no coverage or an outage. And in that case would it really be so bad to just have the wife go in? Or just use one of the existing alternatives? Seriously? This seems like such a small and inconsequential "first world problem" as has already been stated. And rare enough that most of the time simply using the app to run HVAC, using camp mode, or using pet mode are all viable workarounds.

Yes, it's not a huge lift. I get that, it's also not very important or impactful compared to many other features Rivian needs to deliver. This isn't saying it should never be there, it's just... this isn't MORE important to have for most people than things like entertainment, significantly better driver assistance, V2L, still MORE ride tuning for the R1S, less vampire drain, etc. Things that affect most people MOST of the time.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I agree its not the most important thing in the world. I only mention it because the previously mentioned workarounds were not 100% fit to what OP wanted (speakers turn off in camp mode).

You're perfectly right to just say it wont happen based on priority and just make the wife turn on the speakers on her phone or live in quietness for a while :lipssealed:

Cheers

Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

This so describes me. Driving a car with pe seems so much more cumbersome than it did just months ago.

And to say hearing the motors spin up is seductive. I miss that sound when driving the other cars.

*Thanks @godfodder0901 !
Rivian R1T R1S How do I take my phone out of the Rivian while leaving passengers inside? 1711528933244-gd

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This so describes me. Driving a car with petals seems so much more cumbersome than it did just months ago.

And to say hearing the motors spin up is seductive. I miss that sound when driving the other cars.
Sorry mate, but I just couldn't let this slide 😉

Petal = 🌸
Pedal = 🚙 and 🚲...

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Same here. Interior lights cut off too. There is some strange sequence you have to do I think and I can't figure it out. It's related to opening/not opening the doors, pressure in the drivers seat and pressing the brake pedals before (or after) you select camp mode. I'm still experimenting, but it might just be me.
It’s up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B,A, B, A to get it to function right…

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Everyone's glossing over the fact that it was his 'wife' sitting in the passenger seat.

I'm wondering what kind of relationship results in someone isolating their wife from their own vehicle.

My wife has PAAK enabled on her phone. If I leave, my truck sees her continuing to sit there and continues to 'run.' She even (*gasp*) borrows and drives my truck...pretty often because she loves it (come on R2...!).

SO...I guess you should work out your trust issues and connect your wife's phone to your car. I recommend a good counselor, OP! :D

If she drives off...then... well, you may need to rethink that marriage ;) (I am not a counselor, and this is not a serious message)

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I used to worry about it, but now I just leave my wife in the dark, silent, heat.
Sponsored