Sponsored

How has your ride quality changed since the update?

• Total voters

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I genuinely don't mean to sound cynical but Rivian tell you they've sorted your handling and everyone's like, "yeah, feels much better now" . Hmmm ....
I've only driven my truck over the threshold at home twice since the update, both times in ap/std/soft and one time it was really good and the other time it might feel better than before the patch, but hard to say for sure. Obviously Rivian isn't exposing the details of what changed, but I was surprised that it varied so much and have no idea what I might've done differently.
Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Updated my R1T on 20s and now AP Soft makes me feel like I'm a bobble-head ... especially with fore/aft movement. Now to try a firmer setting.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Can't help thinking that there's a bit of the placebo effect at play here. I updated my truck and as usual I didn't even register what had changed given that so much of the updates is just trivial bug fixes, let alone a tweak to the ride control. I made 2 trips and didn't notice a thing (btw, still rides just fine). Then I read this thread over breakfast and go out in the truck and all of a sudden the ride feels a bit smoother! Also notice how when you get your car valeted it rides better too?

I genuinely don't mean to sound cynical but Rivian tell you they've sorted your handling and everyone's like, "yeah, feels much better now" . Hmmm ....
The absence of a characteristic “clunk” over certain sharp bumps that’s been ubiquitous for a year of ownership tells me something has definitely changed. The increased roll/float is subtle for my driving style.

It would be interesting though if Rivian rolled out placebo updates to some of us as part of their data collection!

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

R1T LE, MUCH smoother over potholes and rough roads.

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
Much improved at slow speeds over bumps. Such as leaving my driveway over the gutter or in a parking garage over speed bumps which I have at work every day. Used to rock significantly side to side at off angle bumps and it’s vastly more controlled.

Plus Driver + seems more stable. Not sure if that’s just my mind playing tricks.

R1S WITH 20” AT wheels delivered in June.
I’ve only moved it in and out of my driveway and could immediately tell the change in All Purpose. I was like “ohh okayyyy”. Excited to try it actually driving and Sport mode.

Sponsored

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
i really DISLIKE the new updates on the R1T. Steering is heavy, truck is less precise, regen on/off had the truck pitching forward and back. bounces over dips in road. pitches left and right when traffic passes by and i'm stationary.

With driving dynamic updates Rivian needs much more testing and consultation before pushing changes, or at least let us keep the truck as it was by making these new options in the menus. So frustrated!!

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
it is so obvious that two settings (Soft and Stiff) don't make all of the Rivian owners happy due to the driving styles. Rivian needs to add more settings in between.

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
it is so obvious that two settings (Soft and Stiff) don't make all of the Rivian owners happy due to the driving styles. Rivian needs to add more settings in between.
exactly. the code and variables settings are already in there and available in the software logic. give us 10 ride modes, steering weights, regen settings... its the same as offering an EQ. ironic statement since we also cannot save multiple custom eqs... odd

EDIT: just like socal rob said but i missed earlier. great minds.

Last edited:

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Went over a manhole cover this am on my drive to work that's normally a big bump, today it was much improved, almost unnoticeable.

Feetdry

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ridgeline, Hydro 84
Occupation
medical sales
After about 200 miles (after yesterdays update), in my compass yellow T with 20s, I have to say hmmmmm, about the same.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

exactly. the code and variables settings are already in there and available in the software logic. give us 10 ride modes, steering weights, regen settings... its the same as offering an EQ. ironic statement since we also cannot save multiple customv eqs... odd
Exactly. I suggested this on the previous page https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...of-your-rivian-vote-in-poll.19068/post-397254

MVRivian

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460GX
Occupation
Self Employed
Clubs

I've only had my R1S for two weeks now. Version 2023.30.0
This is my first "update"
How do I update to 2023.34.0?
My app and car say I'm up to date.
Thanks!

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
I have to say, this is the best update yet.

Now if they had an update to get rid of the rattle noises inside and wind noise due to poor craftmanship i'd buy more Rivian stock 🤣

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

i really DISLIKE the new updates on the R1T. Steering is heavy, truck is less precise, regen on/off had the truck pitching forward and back. bounces over dips in road. pitches left and right when traffic passes by and i'm stationary.

With driving dynamic updates Rivian needs much more testing and consultation before pushing changes, or at least let us keep the truck as it was by making these new options in the menus. So frustrated!!
I also noticed the throttle mapping with respect to regen change...REALLY not a fan. Also, when stationary you can just move a little in your seat and get the truck to rock side to side...not good.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I've only had my R1S for two weeks now. Version 2023.30.0
This is my first "update"
How do I update to 2023.34.0?
My app and car say I'm up to date.
Thanks!
The updates are done in a rolling fashion - meaning it gets released to small groups a little at a time. So it might take a few days before it gets to everyone. When it's ready for you you'll get an alert on the vehicle and your phone and be able to kick it off. Just give it another day or so and you'll probably see it
Sponsored

Reactions: MWB