Sponsored

How has your ride quality changed since the update?

• Total voters

JPC

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone - Forest Edge - 21"
Anyone else not get the update pushed yet? I'm nervous because the last update bricked me for 3 weeks......
Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Anyone else not get the update pushed yet? I'm nervous because the last update bricked me for 3 weeks......
I have not received the update yet.

deets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have an R1T with 20s and feel like it is significantly worse than before. The small bump compliance is completely gone on the all-purpose soft setting. The tiniest of bumps and cracks are now harsh.
I don’t understand how my experience is so much different than others.
I am having the same experience. R1T with 20s and the previous ride in AP Soft was much better all round.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Does going into stiff suspension fix the issue?
They've definitely softened AP Stiff mode from what it was. It's not as bad as the change to Soft mode, but I still wish I had the sportiest mode available.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
R1T on 20's.... definitely more floaty/boaty in AP/Soft after the update, sort of like a SUV or Pickup when you overload it.

Agree with those asking for a 3rd option with the old "Soft" becoming "medium".
I've had the chance to drive a bunch in my R1T and would agree here.

Seems the update has massively improved the R1S, and only marginally improved or perhaps made slightly worse the R1T depending on your preferences.

The R1T is MUCH more compliant over small bumps, it's like the old Rally Mode has been moved into AP which I love. However, it's much more "boaty" at higher speeds and rocks back and forth at times which I don't enjoy. I like the comfort of Soft but the float of Stiff in AP mode on my T.

I don't hate it or love it, it's just different.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

@godfodder0901 do you exit Trident gate? I've noticed more vertical travel on the front suspension crossing the speed bumps leaving at like 20mph with the flow of traffic. I feel like I'm going to bottom out every time now.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

R1S with 22's.

Well, the All Purpose, soft, low has improved. All Purpose stiff, low is worse. The feel of All Purpose stiff now is closer to what soft used to be. Sports, stiff, low feels the same.

For me, this is not an improvement, since the vehicle is usually set to All Purpose, low and stiff. Soft setting is too soft and our roads are decent for the most part so there are no potholes and cobblestones-like to deal with.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
R1S with 22's.

Well, the All Purpose, soft, low has improved. All Purpose stiff, low is worse. The feel of All Purpose stiff now is closer to what soft used to be. Sports, stiff, low feels the same.

For me, this is not an improvement, since the vehicle is usually set to All Purpose, low and stiff. Soft setting is too soft and our roads are decent for the most part so there are no potholes and cobblestones-like to deal with.
Curious how many miles you have and what the tire wear looks like Using low most of the time.

I usually use AP Normal as that seems like the most natural tire position. I have 10k miles and am pretty happy with the tire wear. I do use Conserve low (not lowest) on longer highway stretches.

tcole

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2022 Ford Bronco, 2022 Zero FXE
I have not received the update yet.
I haven't got it either. The last couple I got within 24 hours of release. Still waiting on this one, checking obsessively....

Edit: Just got it at 4:30PM PST, installing now.

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
@godfodder0901 do you exit Trident gate? I've noticed more vertical travel on the front suspension crossing the speed bumps leaving at like 20mph with the flow of traffic. I feel like I'm going to bottom out every time now.
I have. I noticed that the very low speed (sub 10mph) behavior is great. I don't usually go 20 or over there, though.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just drove our R1S that still has .30 on it. Comparing the R1S(21", .30) to my R1T(22", .34), both in AP, standard, soft. Definitely prefer how it drives overall vs the T. Less body roll, more confidence turning hard from a stop. S has more tire noise but the vehicle wasn't pulling power back as drastically from obvious tire slip when driving aggressive.

Biggest things I noticed was hitting uneven driveway thresholds at low speed (under 10 mph maybe? Might test to see where the speed is the behavior changes, but my neighbors are going to think I am a weirdo) in my T was much better. The S doesn't necessarily porpoise, but there is occasionally a point where it sharply rises after the front end deeply falls. It's done after one instance of that and doesn't reoccur.

Porpoising, in my opinion, is a repeated reaction instead of a single instance. My T doesn't do either of them, and didn't in .30. But way way back when I first got it, there were a few places it would do the up-down repeatedly in sport mode stiff. The S has more of like a hop or a jump and then it is done.

Perpendicular train tracks in the S weren't a big deal. Rough roads weren't significantly different between the vehicles.

I'd really love to be able to do a full A-B comparison on a single vehicle, but obviously Rivian doesn't let us downgrade, so this is the best I can do.

There is a very good chance my wife would prefer the way my R1T drives right now though, so I totally understand why some folks might be happy with the changes.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I also feel like the R1T on 20” is worse, feels like I’m rocking all over the place. Also feels like I’m bottoming out at times. Pretty disappointed
Anyone try rally mode since the update?

GeorgiaR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Clubs

I have. I noticed that the very low speed (sub 10mph) behavior is great. I don't usually go 20 or over there, though.
I’m bottoming out on speed bumps all the time now. Super annoying. Used to be able to “handle” them and now my rear collapses.

The suspension is too soft. I need to try stiff but I’m worried the old “muscular” soft is not to be found.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Porpoising, in my opinion, is a repeated reaction instead of a single instance.
That describes my new feel exactly, and I hate it.

I’m bottoming out on speed bumps all the time now. Super annoying. Used to be able to “handle” them and now my rear collapses.

The suspension is too soft. I need to try stiff but I’m worried the old “muscular” soft is not to be found.
Yep, they ruined the Soft I came to love! I haven't tried stiff yet, but there's a set of speed bumps I hit daily at like 15-20 mph in a line of cars that I used to cruise over like it's nothing with no porpoise. Now I feel I'm bottoming out in the front and putting on a show like Shamu.
Sponsored