I’m a glutton for Rivian punishment

stackofdimes

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
The event yesterday was so sick… but then the day ended with our 4 month old R1S on a flatbed. It died in traffic while my wife was driving the kids home.

I wasn’t there, but I guess she got the dreaded shutdown countdown timer. After 30 mins stuck in the middle of a busy street, customer service had my wife do a hard reset which put the S in turtle mode enough to get home.

It’s currently sitting at the Service center where they tell me they are backed up for a week or two before they will be able to diagnose the issue.

Despite all this, I still put $100 down on an R2. I’m a glutton for punishment, I suppose! 😂
Rivian R1T R1S I’m a glutton for Rivian punishment IMG_7943
Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Consumer Reports did rank Rivian near dead last in terms of expected reliability based on this very same thing.

Despite their less than stellar initial reliability I too placed a reservation for an R2.

I'm confident that they'll make great improvements between now and then when it comes to initial reliability.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I hate hearing these "dead in the water" Rivian stories. I am so sorry that this happened to you. Our R1T, Opal, has been very good to us so far. These stories still scare us.

Brian

Sponsored

OP
OP
stackofdimes

stackofdimes

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
I hate hearing these "dead in the water" Rivian stories. I am so sorry that this happened to you. Our R1T, Opal, has been very good to us so far. These stories still scare us.

Brian
Thank you! My wife has already said she is going to have some trust issues with the R1S when we get it back!

tcole

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2022 Ford Bronco, 2022 Zero FXE
We haven’t been stranded in traffic, but I have my 5th service appointment scheduled to fix my R1T. The tailgate doesn’t want to latch.

The worst issue was the AC going out last June, weeks after we got the truck, while on a road trip to Napa in the heat. Limping to the Service Center an hour away when the drivers side front suspension would barely raise was 2nd worst.

When I told my wife I reserved an R2 her reaction was “are you serious? I’m done with Rivian. Have you thought about how much time you’ve spent getting its problems fixed?”

Probably still get another one! But I hope they improve reliability dramatically, and I won’t own my R1T past the warranty.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
We've gotten R1 loaners when a vehicle has been in service. Always nice to keep miles off our owned vehicles!

OP
OP
stackofdimes

stackofdimes

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Rivian CS has been great so far. They stayed on the line while my wife limped the R1S its way home to make sure they got home safe. And they’ve called my wife and I multiple times to give us updates. I have owned a lot of German cars, and when something breaks it usually meant me having to make lots of calls to get any attention. It is nice to have them be so pro-active.

@tcole - I haven’t told my wife about the R2 reservation yet. I’m guessing I’ll get a very similar response. I need time to heal the Rivian-wounds before I spring that one on her! 😂

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I don't want to start a battle but I wonder if the Enduro cars have less issues than the Bosch ones for drive train problems. I guess the way to compare would be the quads that were produced when the duals released to be fair.

OP
OP
stackofdimes

stackofdimes

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Still no ETA on a fix… or even a cause of what went wrong, but I called today & was able to swap out my rental car for an R1S loaner. That makes this waiting period much more manageable.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I don't want to start a battle but I wonder if the Enduro cars have less issues than the Bosch ones for drive train problems. I guess the way to compare would be the quads that were produced when the duals released to be fair.
The Enduro's don't seem to have the half shaft problem. Jury is still out on the rest.

OP
OP
stackofdimes

stackofdimes

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Rivian R1T R1S I’m a glutton for Rivian punishment IMG_5636

Guess who’s back??