Sponsored

I just got an r1s recently but i am very bummed to find out that there is a refresh with lots of improvements coming

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Heat pumps in evs make you car much more efficient in cold climates like where i live
There were a few threads on heat pumps this year. One or two were really intriguing - especially the one with the 30+ ways Tesla can pull heat from the car to warm the occupants.

The upshot was that heat pumps are good for vehicles with smaller interior volumes but drop in efficiency when trying to heat a larger volume like the R1. The conclusion that the R1’s method of pulling resistive heat from the motors was pretty efficient for the size of the vehicle.

Others can comment on how warm their trucks were in 10° F weather. Never got that cold this year where I am.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

ukyank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting
GPU & Camera/Sensor upgrades can be fairly significant. The difference between the Intel & upgraded AMD Teslas was worth waiting.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

For all we know those could be R2's under R1 sheetmetal disguised for testing.
The couple images at the plant were during the event with Pritzker that was post-shutdown. I'll speculate though that the white(limestone maybe?) R1 in the photo is probably the new Entry level trim since it doesn't include the tow hooks.

IMO if they made changes to anything on the base refresh that requires new parts, it was a cost cutting measure first, and a feature change second.

Bar_Down

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Don't expect there will be any significant new features, mostly just cost cutting to help get them to profitability. Just enjoy your new Rivian and don't worry about Internet rumors.
Exactly! Comparison is the death of joy.

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

The only refresh I need is no more vampire drain
Your generosity knows no boundaries. Thank you for your service 🫡

raylepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Random Maker
Clubs

people, chill out about the refresh and do a bit of research. Majority of changes are internal and designed to improve production.

like Tesla, majority of features will be applied via software to current models.

Per RJ: “80% of the new features will be backwards compatible with current models. The remaining 20% require new hardware”.

Per Wassym: New hardware is updated suite of sensors and cameras and non-backwards compatible features are updated Driver+ system and Summon function.

Other hardware changes:
-removal of tow hooks
-redesigned (slightly smaller) headlight and fog light units
-redesigned side mirrors
- minimal front grille changes
-smoked light bar option
-piano black lower bumper
-new wheel options
-updated wireless phone charger
-addition of slate and evergreen color options
-removal of forest green interior
Man, I'd be happy to pay for a wireless phone charger that works. I wonder if (if there really is a new one) it could be retrofitted.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Will they offer a retrofit for new feature?
You my friend suffer from "FOMO" (fear of missing out).

We got our R1T exactly 1 year ago this past May 3rd. In that time is has been an amazing vehicle and I have not regretted 1 second for the buying decision. We didn't get the tax break like people buying them now. We spent more than people are buying the same vehicle are and we knew that going into it.

Just enjoy your vehicle and just know that most of the "refresh" will be software-related and will improve your experience.

When we picked up our R1T last year the advertised mileage range was "326" miles. With just software updated, that range is now 350 miles (on a 100% charge, which we never do).

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

The only refresh I need is no more vampire drain
When you say "vampire drain", how many % are you losing?. After my R1T is charged to 90%, (292 miles), when I get in it after work, I might be at 89% (~290). This is usually 4 hours later.

The one thing I don't do is constantly check the status of the truck because waking it up will eat a little power. I also don't have "gear guard" on other than the proximately sensor recording.

KCFGFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Configured)
Man, I'd be happy to pay for a wireless phone charger that works. I wonder if (if there really is a new one) it could be retrofitted.
If you search online there's are a couple magsafe charging pads that you can "retrofit" yourself. It involves removing the current charging assembly and unplugging the cable that goes into the center armrest console. Didn't look too difficult and many had YouTube video instructions.

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler, 2023 R1S
When you say "vampire drain", how many % are you losing?. After my R1T is charged to 90%, (292 miles), when I get in it after work, I might be at 89% (~290). This is usually 4 hours later.

The one thing I don't do is constantly check the status of the truck because waking it up will eat a little power. I also don't have "gear guard" on other than the proximately sensor recording.
I am anywhere from 3-6 miles per day. Left it in the garage one day while out of town and hit 8 miles. I keep the fob in a faraday bag for whatever that is worth.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

You seem new-ish to the Rivian scene and these forums.

TAKE ALL BLOGS with a HUGE grain of salt. In fact, ignore them. Firstly, Rivian is REALLY GOOD at playing things VERY close to their chest. There have been VERY few leaks, and zero of the leaks I've seen were even much more than 50% accurate in their accounting. For anyone wanting to debate this, I saw ZERO calls about the R3 or R3X reveal during the R2 event--that would've been HUGE NEWS everywhere.

Secondly, these blogs tend to start with their "factual' speculation within a few hours of first seeing it ON the forums/Reddit/similar sites like this where some guy swears one of the advisors at a service center, or their neighbors brother's dog's pet store supplier guy's cousin who works for a company that can see the Rivian plant across the highway when they're running their delivery routes is POSITIVE he saw a turbocharged R1XXXTREME sitting in the parking lot...

It's like clockwork. Seriously. As others have said, it's all speculation until an official Rivian Statement is made, and 9/10 times it shows up in a friendly Rivian Marketing email to existing owners, and 1/10 times we'll see a Xitter or LinkedIn post about it first, and the friendly Marketing email comes within a day of it.

And it gets exacerbated by the echo chamber of news that becomes its own source when someone naively clicks that link, says "look AutoEvolution/Teslerati/Rivian Tracker swears X, Y, Z" when they took it from the forums in the first place, so then MotorTrend picks up the news, because it has to be true....

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

If you're serious, get this. It works. It's easy. I can't say enough about how much better it is than stock.
Sponsored