Sponsored

Is the Model X now a better buy over R1S? (WARNING: NO ELON MUSK DISCUSSIONS)

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've been looking for options for an EV family hauler. I have an R1T, so zero need for another "adventure" vehicle. Was considering Model Y, but I need a bit more size. Model X was too expensive, and I was not considering it. The Volvo EX90 looks like an option but not clear what the price will be yet. I was thinking R1S is probably the #1 choice for me and I do have a reservation, but I just realized that with the new price on the Model X it's now pretty competitive.

Cheapest Model X is 79,990. Only 5 seats, but you get 348 miles range and 3.8 0-60.
Cheapest R1S is $78,000. You get 7 seats, but you only get 260 miles of range and 4.5 0-60.

If you care about range and don't need more than 5 seats, the Model X looks pretty good. But if you configure them as similar as possible the Model X is a lot cheaper.

Model X dual motor with 7 seats, 348 miles range, and 3.8 0-60 = $83,490
R1S dual motor performance with 7 seats, 340 miles range, and 3.5 0-60 = $89,000

That being said, I have a quad R1T so I don't care that much about 0-60 times for this buy, so in reality I wouldn't get the performance dual-motor R1S, so would be looking at $84,000 if I went R1S. I also don't really need 7 seats, so would probably get a $79,990 Model X. So about $4K cheaper to go with the Model X for my needs.

Plus considering you can actually buy a Model X at that price today and they are not even shipping dual motor R1S yet and probably > 1 year to get one if you don't have a reservation, makes the X look like a decent pick.

I know Rivian well with 6K miles on my R1T so I know what to expect. I've never owned a Tesla nor have I driven an X, but I've read that the Model X is a bit more refined and quieter. Plus the model X is a lot more efficient. Anything I'm missing?
Sponsored

Last edited:

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I have an R1T, like it a lot.

Have had 4 or so Teslas, an S/X/3/S and a few things I notice is Tesla estimated range is way over estimated, Rivian seems spot on mostly. Rivan is nice inside, quality is pretty good. Tesla quality hasn't gotten much better. Our 2022 S had seat rattles, interior pulling away at roof, dash rattles galore, etc. Hated it in a 100K car. The X doors are cool but kind of are a pain at times to deal with and slow at times you need them to close fast. It was probably my favorite Tesla though by far as it is room. The 6 seater is cool but bit annoying for storage. 7 seater is practically worthless for 3rd row and Rivian seems at least somewhat better. As far as capability goes, the Tesla is delicate... delicate wheels to scrape, lower to the ground, feels like a crossover car. The R1 platform feels higher up and more capable for sure.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I've been looking for options for an EV family hauler. I have an R1T, so zero need for another "adventure" vehicle. Was considering Model Y, but I need a bit more size. Model X was too expensive, and I was not considering it. The Volvo EX90 looks like an option but not clear what the price will be yet. I was thinking R1S is probably the #1 choice for me and I do have a reservation, but I just realized that with the new price on the Model X it's now pretty competitive.

Cheapest Model X is 79,990. Only 5 seats, but you get 348 miles range and 3.8 0-60.
Cheapest R1S is $78,000. You get 7 seats, but you only get 260 miles of range and 4.5 0-60.

If you care about range and don't need more than 5 seats, the Model X looks pretty good. But if you configure them as similar as possible the Model X is a lot cheaper.

Model X dual motor with 7 seats, 348 miles range, and 3.8 0-60 = $83,490
R1S dual motor with 7 seats, 340 miles range, and 3.5 0-60 = $89,000

That being said, I have a quad R1T so I don't care that much about 0-60 times for this buy, so in reality I wouldn't get the performance dual-motor R1S, so would be looking at $84,000 if I went R1S. I also don't really need 7 seats, so would probably get a $79,990 Model X. So about $4K cheaper to go with the Model X for my needs.

Plus considering you can actually buy a Model X at that price today and they are not even shipping dual motor R1S yet and probably > 1 year to get one if you don't have a reservation, makes the X look like a decent pick.

I know Rivian well with 6K miles on my R1T so I know what to expect. I've never owned a Tesla nor have I driven an X, but I've read that the Model X is a bit more refined and quieter. Plus the model X is a lot more efficient. Anything I'm missing?
I was never a fan of the Model X so I purchased a Model S.

If you just need a pavement driver fr trips and you do not mind the egg shape and falcon doors then it is certainly worthy of considering. I do not think it comes anywhere near what the R1S is but if you would never use any of the things the R1S can do…🤷🏻

You also have immediate access to the SuperChargers if you travel a lot.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Depends on your use case. For me, no.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just my opinion, but they're not even in the same class of vehicle. The X is a CUV, the R1S is an SUV and way more capable.
Yep for sure. However, probably 90% of those who bought an R1S dont need an “SUV.” This would be my wife’s primary. She just needs something to carry people and stuff. If we need capability we can jump in my quad motor R1T with 20” ATs

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I don't know how anyone considers the X as a viable replacement for an "SUV" - it's not an SUV. It's at best a modern station wagon. I don't think they're in the same category - or put another way, if you ACTUALLY want/need an SUV you're not looking an an X. if you are able to cross-shop an R1S and Model X - you don't NEED an SUV, you just need more than 5 seats in a vehicle. If that's you - then the X is a totally viable choice and get whatever you feel is the best fit/deal for you.

I just don't consider the X to be in the same category as the R1S (or any other actual SUV)

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Is the Kia Sorento now a better buy over the GMC Denali?

The only reason the X and R1S are in the same breath for me is because they are both electric and both can hold up to 7 passengers.

Available vehicles that check those two boxes can be counted on the hand of someone missing a few fingers.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I have an R1T, like it a lot.

Have had 4 or so Teslas, an S/X/3/S and a few things I notice is Tesla estimated range is way over estimated, Rivian seems spot on mostly. Rivan is nice inside, quality is pretty good. Tesla quality hasn't gotten much better. Our 2022 S had seat rattles, interior pulling away at roof, dash rattles galore, etc. Hated it in a 100K car. The X doors are cool but kind of are a pain at times to deal with and slow at times you need them to close fast. It was probably my favorite Tesla though by far as it is room. The 6 seater is cool but bit annoying for storage. 7 seater is practically worthless for 3rd row and Rivian seems at least somewhat better. As far as capability goes, the Tesla is delicate... delicate wheels to scrape, lower to the ground, feels like a crossover car. The R1 platform feels higher up and more capable for sure.
Yea, we love our model Y but the range is about 20-30% off on highway driving. Whatever method they used to manipulate the EPA testing system is dumb cause it’s nowhere near real world range. That said at under $80k the model X long range finally seems reasonable in pricing. Definitely a good option for many. If they had the 6 seater for that price I would be tempted.

Sponsored

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
Why are you quoting those Tesla-miles as verbatim. We all know they are fake miles.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Seriously considering a Model X plaid at $89k…. Plaid includes 6 seats with captain chairs standard.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I am sure a lot of people will be asking similar questions.

Not all R1S reservation holders wil suddenly cancel and go get X, but some will, for sure..

Good or bad, it'll have an impact on Rivian and any other EV SUV competitors..

Fantastic for customers, sucks as Rivian stock holder.

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
I would highly suggest avoiding the X. Here is (was) mine finally getting taken away just yesterday after 10 months of non-stop issues that resulted in the worst customer service experience possible....but did finally get the car lemoned. The doors were randomly opening/closing, windows rolling down on their own, airbag systems shutting down mid-drive, continuous driver safety system errors, air suspension failures, and on and on.

In addition, Tesla crippled the auto opening front doors (which have an electric motor) by removing the sensors, so now opening/closing the front doors is a pain in the @&& because you have to hit the open button, let it open about 4", then wait a couple of seconds, and then push the door the rest of the way. If you don't wait, the motor fights against you from opening the door. That issue has afflicted the X for the past year with no remedies so far. Oh, and then there are the falcon wing doors. I saw those open roughly 5 times all the way without stopping. The rest of the time, they would maybe a foot and then stop due to an imaginary object in the way. Service said that's just how they are, and if the door has been exposed to sunlight, the sensors misbehave that way. I kid you not. Even when they do work, who wants to wait 10 seconds for a door to open before they can get into (or load their kid into) the X? They seem cool until you have to use them on a daily basis.

Oh, and how about the seats? Well, 4 of the 6 seats had to be replaced in the first two months due to stitching failing, motors breaking, etc. The seat heaters never worked in the 2nd and 3rd rows and quit working in the driver's seat after 3 months (and after being replaced once before). the 3rd row was stuck in the down position after they were replaced in January and remain stuck down to this day.

Despite Tesla ordering me to stop driving it in April due to safety concerns over the airbag system not functioning, they still took another 4 months of near zero communication from Tesla corporate to buy the car back (and 8 months since I requested a buyback). I even had to sue Tesla to get them to pay for the loaner car (Enterprise rental) that THEY provided to me the 3rd time the X was towed for service. The terrible service manager decided not to pay for it and spent months refusing to answer my calls until she got served.

As someone who has owned 4 Teslas over the past decade and still own TSLA stock, I would avoid them and especially would avoid the disaster that the X is currently...no matter how low the price goes.

P.S. Yes, the windows are duct taped closed in my pic. When the car finally died, it rolled the windows down, and Tesla told me to tape them closed to keep the rain out. My neighbors all got a kick out of the seemingly abandoned $130k car covered in duct tape sitting there for the past 5 months.

Rivian R1T R1S Is the Model X now a better buy over R1S? (WARNING: NO ELON MUSK DISCUSSIONS) 1

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
I have an R1S and an X.

The X doesn’t compare with respect to storage space. R1S has much more real, useable storage. Much better for road-trips, carpooling, etc. If storage matters, I’d take the R1S even at a premium. That said, kids do “climb” into R1S vs X. It’s high - even in kneel mode.

My kids say the third row is “way better” in the R1S over the X. Zero scientific proof there - just kids - all under 5’tall - saying they prefer it and it has more room. Numbers may play out differently. One of the FWDs on our X is usually not operating correctly, so that is annoying.

X rides much better - as you’d expect. So if you don’t need storage space and just want a carpooler, I guess take the X

I know OP said they don’t need another adventure vehicle, so that’s not at play. Tesla range is overstated - as others have said, so I don’t think that’s the only place to compare.
Sponsored