Sponsored

KIA EV9 vs. Rivian R1S: Comprehensive Overview, Key Questions, Buy or Lease Scenarios?

michelin

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD, 2023 Mini Clubman S
Occupation
Production Engineer
Clubs

[Hyundai Ioniq 5] also just has a more restrictive atmosphere in terms of what you can do (a canary in the coal mine is not letting me type in destinations while in drive)
On my EV6 this gets fixed in one of the OTAs - It now only puts up a warning screen the first time this is attempted per drive.

OP - thanks for a thorough comparison! I am looking to eventually downsize from EV6 to something R3 sized (or a sedan) and much of the comparisons should be applicable
Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

On my EV6 this gets fixed in one of the OTAs - It now only puts up a warning screen the first time this is attempted per drive.

OP - thanks for a thorough comparison! I am looking to eventually downsize from EV6 to something R3 sized (or a sedan) and much of the comparisons should be applicable
I noticed last night that I was finally able to type in a destination while my wife was driving. On the other hand, (on a different drive) I parked the car, put it in park, took off the seatbelt, but then needed to change spots. I put it back in drive and the car gives me a message that it will not disengage the parking brake until I put my seatbelt back on. Backing into a parking spot at the airport just now, it detects the car in the next spot (a lovely white R1S, I must note) from 5/6 feet away and slams on the parking brake and tells me to drive carefully.

I do think highly of what Hyundai/Kia are doing with their EVs, but that stuff (and the general nagging nature of the car in other respects/scenarios) has really created a growing resentment towards it. It’s just the kind of thing I would want to be aware of when considering the vehicle for purchase. It might be a deal breaker for some and no big deal for others, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t share my honest opinion of the biggest problem I’ve had with my vehicle. I will note that there may be differences in these systems and “safety” devices between Hyundai and Kia, but I’m not sure of that or where the differences would lie.

michelin

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD, 2023 Mini Clubman S
Occupation
Production Engineer
Clubs

Backing into a parking spot at the airport just now, it detects the car in the next spot (a lovely white R1S, I must note) from 5/6 feet away and slams on the parking brake and tells me to drive carefully.
Parking wise... what I hate is when parking diagonally, and having to back out into a two way road without a divider in the middle. It will keep thinking cars coming in the other direction are in the way!

Those are the only times I can remember it slamming the brakes on me

The seatbelt thing... yeah, Korean and Japanese manufacturers seem to do that more than US and European ones. I don't notice on my car with a 360 camera but it's a PITA on rental cars as I often need to correct my parking
Sponsored