Sponsored

Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette...

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

This is done on purpose so that 2 cars aren’t drawing off the same circuit. It’s advisable to space the cars out to achieve the fastest charge.
That’s what I thought too but only applies to the older chargers (which aren’t compatible with non-Teslas), V3 and V4 don’t have that issue apparently…but most Teslas leave space since easier to get out of the car…
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
This is done on purpose so that 2 cars aren’t drawing off the same circuit. It’s advisable to space the cars out to achieve the fastest charge.
Wait, what? I've NEVER heard this before! Or maybe I did when at least 3 others replied to my comment in this very thread, and maybe I heard it long before that too. 😂 No, just teasing. I understand how easy it is to see a comment early in a thread and not realize it's already been responded to.

My response to the others is: Yes, I understand that's why it makes sense at v1 and v2 stations. v3 and v4 stations don't share power the same way, so for most of the stations where non-Teslas will be charging, Tesla drivers need to stop alternating spots to observe the new etiquette. If they don't, a half-full station could potentially be rendered unusable by non-Teslas. And yes, the same is theoretically true with a half-full station of non-Teslas potentially rendering a station unusable for Teslas if they also parked at every other stall. So the new etiquette for v3 and v4 is: non-Teslas start on the right and work left, filling every spot. Teslas start on the left and work right, filling every spot. Whenever possible, of course.

ModelXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
I don't know if anyone has done this yet, but I'm thinking about going around to different EV dealers and getting pix and dimensions for charge ports, so I can put together a reference for Supercharger (and other?) charging etiquette. I don't know if anyone has done this yet. Drive Electric Earth Month is coming up and it would make a handy handout for those with or considering EVs.
Thoughts?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

how do you know if it’s a v4? i charged at a new magic dock charger in phoenix in january and the spots were huge. i had no issue parking in the lines. sorry for bad photo.

IMG_7440.jpeg
I think that’s V3 but the pedestal is positioned more like v4 i think (in the center). Wish more of them were like the one in your picture.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I don't know if anyone has done this yet, but I'm thinking about going around to different EV dealers and getting pix and dimensions for charge ports, so I can put together a reference for Supercharger (and other?) charging etiquette. I don't know if anyone has done this yet. Drive Electric Earth Month is coming up and it would make a handy handout for those with or considering EVs.
Thoughts?
Just for information, there are some Tesla locations where the spaces are back to back in stead of in a line. The one in Costa Mesa, CA off of Hyland Ave is configured like that. I was able to use that one list night and park in a way that nothing was blocked. I used the opposite cabinet from normal but someone was able to pull in opposite me and the other cabinet still reached their vehicle.

Here in Orange County, CA I do not think we will see many non-Tesla vehicles using the Superchargers, they are just too busy, often have a wait, and will be hard to find a spot that will work for a vehicle without a different port location.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
how do you know if it’s a v4? i charged at a new magic dock charger in phoenix in january and the spots were huge. i had no issue parking in the lines. sorry for bad photo.

IMG_7440.jpeg
Yep that's a V3 pedestal but it's better positioned in the middle. Most V3 stations have their pedestals biased to the right of the parking spot which makes it difficult if other cars' charge port is on the other side.

SEAR1T

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Just park in an out of order stall next to a stall that is working. Looks like plenty to go around. 😂

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... busted superchargers

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Ok here's the ultimate screwy location in Pasadena, CA. Each parking space has a dispenser with two CCS connectors. You can park on the back side to utilize the second CCS. However there are also Tesla dispensers on the back side. Effectively two parking spaces for three connections. You may arrive with available connections on either network but there is nowhere to park and access them.
Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... Screenshot_20240323_085350_PlugShare
Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... Screenshot_20240323_085232_PlugShare

Oh and here's a shot with all the Tesla ones full with waiting cars to the right and one smart guy with a CCS adapter. We've been sharing stations with CCS for years with no complaints. I don't think it's going to be an issue.
Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... Screenshot_20240323_090408_PlugShare

Last edited:
Reactions: VSG

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Great example of being able to park on the opposite side. Tesla's can park on one side while others can park on the other side to avoid taking two charging spots. When this is available, non-Tesla owners should be courteous and take advantage of it.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great example of being able to park on the opposite side. Tesla's can park on one side while others can park on the other side to avoid taking two charging spots. When this is available, non-Tesla owners should be courteous and take advantage of it.
I'm not sure about this. If there weren't another set of chargers on the other side, I would agree 100%. However, in this specific photo, you'd still be occupying two chargers. I don't think it's right to block a different network's charger just because Tesla didn't design their superchargers to accommodate a variety of port locations.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure about this. If there weren't another set of chargers on the other side, I would agree 100%. However, in this specific photo, you'd still be occupying two chargers. I don't think it's right to block a different network's charger just because Tesla didn't design their superchargers to accommodate a variety of port locations.
There is a location in Costa Mesa where the chargers are lined up with spaces back to back. I was able to get in one of those spots to charge without blocking another unit from being unusable. The Tesla in front of me had to park close to the right line when backing in but was able to reach their charge port with the charger positioned for use in the spot I was in.

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
New kind of charging etiquette.
His name, Eric DuMaass, (not real last name but the other VW drive called him D!ckHead so either is right). Of the 4 stations here, three are in use, but this guy parked in one slot and uses the charger from the end slot. These cables are way long enough and can reach around without stretching. The guy verbally attacks me and says ...i didn't know, I couldn't figure it out.... Then wants to go fisticuffs because someone left a note on his windshield, and I was the first one he saw when he came back with his family. His wife had to put a leash on him and drag him away. Beware of VW's trying to squeeze in thinking they are a privileged.

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... EV-DumAss1

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... EV-DumAss2

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why didn't he use the charger directly behind his car? Or park in the spot directly in front of the charger he is using? That just makes no sense at all unless:

a) the charger directly behind him is dead and he didn't want to move his car
b) He didn't want anybody parking next to him so he used that other charger because nobody would then park next to him with that charger in use

Maybe?

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Wait, what? I've NEVER heard this before! Or maybe I did when at least 3 others replied to my comment in this very thread, and maybe I heard it long before that too. 😂 No, just teasing. I understand how easy it is to see a comment early in a thread and not realize it's already been responded to.

My response to the others is: Yes, I understand that's why it makes sense at v1 and v2 stations. v3 and v4 stations don't share power the same way, so for most of the stations where non-Teslas will be charging, Tesla drivers need to stop alternating spots to observe the new etiquette. If they don't, a half-full station could potentially be rendered unusable by non-Teslas.
Isn’t that why Rivian has tow straps in the Gear store and tow hooks on the front bumper?
Of course the bumper winch would make this even easier.
[Note: I’m kidding]