Sponsored

Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette...

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Where do we park? How do we avoid blocking or taking two stalls? What's the typical layout for open SuperchargersAre the cords long enough? What other things should we do to be good charging citizens and avoid fistfights? Thought a discussion might be helpful for some. Diagrams and pictures are worth a thousand words.....

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... images
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Unless you are at a station where the charger on the far right has extra space to the right of it allowing you to park half in/ out of that stall’s spot, the cables will likely not be long enough and you will need to take up half of the spot to the right of your Rivian.

And according to Tesla, who on their own decided to open up their network to EVs with ports in all different locations, this makes us “jerks”. 🙄

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Here's my understanding, but happy to hear other thoughts:

For V3 Superchargers, you typically park in the spot to the right of the spot the charger was intended for, otherwise the cord won't reach. Be prepared to politely defend your position against entitled and uninformed Tesla owners.

For V4 Superchargers, which have longer cords, you might be able to park in the intended spot, thereby avoiding dramatic showdowns.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Where do we park? How do we avoid blocking or taking two stalls? What's the typical layout for open SuperchargersAre the cords long enough? What other things should we do to be good charging citizens and avoid fistfights? Thought a discussion might be helpful for some. Diagrams and pictures are worth a thousand words.....

images.jpg
I'm too old to change my "charging etiquette".
Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... download (1)

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I think protocol will be to look and choose the station that you can plug into without effecting access to nearby stations if there is one. For example as @COdogman mentioned on the spot on the right of the right most charger if they are all in a line, not always possible. If you pull in and someone is using it that way park to the left of them and use the second charger, etc.

I have seen this 'problem' discussed in the context of the EU where Tesla chargers have been open. As I understand in the larger stations you will see clusters of cars with charging ports in different locations to maximize utilization. No riots reported to my knowledge.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

If fairly open/not busy: Park in the rightmost spot you can, over-the-lines of the rightmost spot if possible.

If another non-Tesla is there, and the two spots to its immediate left are open, take the spot immediately to its left.

If it's busy, and there are a mix of Tesla and non-Tesla willy-nilly: Mad Max that shiz.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Will Tesla drivers also adjust their "etiquette" so they aren't parking in every other space like is often seen?

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I plan to park as far away as possible from anyone and everyone.

I couldn't wait for the official one and ordered the A2Z one using discount code "RIV"

I will use it until the official one shows up.

I also put an order in for the Lectron one and will post up a review on both later using Klein infrared thermometer to get readings

Folks who ordered A2Z adapter 2 - 3 weeks ago are receiving it now. This is what the company has to say about availability.

A2Z EV Link - NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter | 500A | 1000V

Lectron Tesla Supercharger (NACS) to CCS Adapter | Vortex Plug | 500A | 1000V

https://amzn.to/3PwP6RZ

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... 1711036370898-5j-png-

Here we are!

Just wanted to drop in and say we’re here for you all, ready to chat and help out on the forum whenever you need.

Let's clarify something:
We have stock, we receive inventory almost everyday and we ship hundreds of orders daily since the 5th of January. Over a thousand Ford owners are already using our adapters on Tesla Superchargers since the 29th of February.

Now, about the wait time for this adapter—it's taking 2-3 weeks to ship because we've got a ton of orders to handle, we’re super strict about checking each adapter (yep, every single one gets inspected and tested in China and Canada), and our shipping team isn’t huge. But don’t worry, we’re on it! We’re thinking about bringing more folks on board to speed things up. Just hang tight, we’re getting there and improving how fast we can get these adapters out to you.

As a side note, we are the only company currently shipping NACS to CCS1 adapters, the only one...

- A2Z EV

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... 1711041168022-9i

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Tesla supercharger etiquette has traditionally been to avoid using two adjacent stalls. This is a holdover from V2 stations where if you parked next to someone, you and the person you park next to will get a half speed charge.

V3 chargers don't have this problem, but most Tesla drivers still avoid parking right next to someone out of habit even at V3 locations.

I suggest Rivian users continue this pattern. Pull into a stall two slots to the right of someone else.

There will be an unoccupied parking spot between you and the next vehicle where no one can charge, but most Tesla drivers wouldn't want to park there anyway.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MountainPassPerformance

Site Sponsor
First Name
Sasha Anis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Owners of Mountain Pass Performance
It should also be mentioned that Telsa wrote this on their website:

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... 1711041528783-pl

Hopefully this cable will be available soon at a reasonable cost, which will help the introverts (ourselves included) avoid those uncomfortable showdowns!

And for those of you who enjoy things on the spicy side, you'll have no problem going without the extension cable!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Block as many stations as possible.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Block as many stations as possible.
A Rivian pulling a trailer could block a lot of spots... that might just start a riot.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

A Rivian pulling a trailer could block a lot of spots... that might just start a riot.
"I wasn't sure how to park, Rivian has pull-through spots so I don't have to park weird."
Sponsored